Nicotine strength for sub-ohm vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Hi I have a question about nicotine strength in my juice for sub-ohm vaping: I've only started vaping my tfv12 prince smok tank 4 days ago, so total newbie- used to do only mtl before that. I'm currently using Q4 coils, 0.4 ohm, vaping at 50-60 Watts: quite happy with a cooler vape, I tried them at 70-90 but slightly too warm for me, maybe in the future it will change.
Majority of the sites and youtube videos that I came across where sub-ohm vaping was discussed said that the maximum nicotine strength used when sub-ohm vaping should be 6mg/ml. So I've mixed a few juices, 70/30 vg/pg, ranging from 3-6mg nic. I noticed that I'm chain-vaping with very little nicotine hit. But i kept nicotine cravings sattisfied with my mtl device used simultanously.
Today however, I wanted to check something. I've mixed some 65/35 VG/PG liquid for my gf's smok nord pod a few days ago, with nicotine at approx. 11.5mg/ml, so I popped it into my prince tank to try it. Expected to choke on it but no- it vapes great at 60 Watts, tastes good (carnival sherbet concentrate + a little bit of strawberry cream concentrate added) nicotine hit: I can feel it, but unless I go crazy it doesn't make me nic sick.

Is this normal? Why do people recommend going max 6mg nic for sub-ohm vaping? Is it because they aren't recent ex-smokers or they never were smokers, and just use low nic liquids at their stage of vaping? Thanks

Reactions: stols001

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    There's no law that 6mg is the max for sub-ohm vaping. In general a lower nic is recommended because of the increased amount of vapor produced, but the right amount of nic is what's best to keep the cravings under control. I also use the prince TFV12 tank and vape at 10mg/ml @ 60/40 PG/VG. If you want more vapor without more warmth, go into your settings and turn down the temperature so you can turn up the wattage. That's what I did. I am at 75 watts.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I don't think I could handle that honestly but everything about sub0hm vaping weirds me out. The gigantic mouth piece, the heat of the vape, etc. But I was using 1.5 coils I think. Pretty sure. I was DYING at 12 mg/ml but that seemed low because my first vape started at 25 I think but it was some NJOY thing.

I guess if it works for you it works. I will increasingly sort of think that vapor volume and how much you can inhale also has something to do with it I mean Aspire makes N2S "sub0hm" coils at like 0.4 and while I haven't tried them, I very much doubt that setup remotely allows for the amount of vapor I was "inhaling' (when I was not coughing my guts out) than you are with more airflow a larger chimney etc. , you see things crossing categories more and more. I have had the occasional coil mishap resulting in a fairly low ohm coil that I just vape a few times while it heats up and then it like starts creating a vapable vapor *for me* but I actually PAID to like send that tank to of all places, JERUSALEM someone wanted to try one and I was like, "Oh well, it's the magic quitting tank WHY NOT."

TL:DR "It all depends."

Anna

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    There's no law that 6mg is the max for sub-ohm vaping. In general a lower nic is recommended because of the increased amount of vapor produced, but the right amount of nic is what's best to keep the cravings under control. I also use the prince TFV12 tank and vape at 10mg/ml @ 60/40 PG/VG. If you want more vapor without more warmth, go into your settings and turn down the temperature so you can turn up the wattage. That's what I did. I am at 75 watts.

Which TFV12 Prince coils are you using in Temperature Control mode ?
    What temp/watt combo works best?

Cheers
    I

Doffy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    Australia
    Majority of the sites and youtube videos that I came across where sub-ohm vaping was discussed said that the maximum nicotine strength used when sub-ohm vaping should be 6mg/ml

ideally, the advice should be "start at 6mg" or "try 6mg first" then adjust to preference

some use much higher, myself included

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Thanks for the advice, I haven't tried TC mode yet, I've only had that tank and mod for 5 days and never owned a sub-ohm before so I just kept it simple. But I will play around with it and experiment :) 60/40 PG/VG? Is this a typo or you sub-ohm higher PG juices? Again, most of the sources I found haven't even mentioned 50/50 for sub ohm, the general advice is to use 70VG or higher for sub ohm tanks so I haven't even tried my 50/50 juices that I use in my mtl setup.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    I don't think I could handle that honestly but everything about sub0hm vaping weirds me out. The gigantic mouth piece, the heat of the vape, etc. But I was using 1.5 coils I think. Pretty sure. I was DYING at 12 mg/ml but that seemed low because my first vape started at 25 I think but it was some NJOY thing.

I guess if it works for you it works. I will increasingly sort of think that vapor volume and how much you can inhale also has something to do with it I mean Aspire makes N2S "sub0hm" coils at like 0.4 and while I haven't tried them, I very much doubt that setup remotely allows for the amount of vapor I was "inhaling' (when I was not coughing my guts out) than you are with more airflow a larger chimney etc. , you see things crossing categories more and more. I have had the occasional coil mishap resulting in a fairly low ohm coil that I just vape a few times while it heats up and then it like starts creating a vapable vapor *for me* but I actually PAID to like send that tank to of all places, JERUSALEM someone wanted to try one and I was like, "Oh well, it's the magic quitting tank WHY NOT."

TL:DR "It all depends."

Anna

I have to say I quite like sub-ohm vaping but I know for sure that I will always be doing mtl as well- I like both :) You've seen my questions about mtl tank anyway. I also ordered an RBA coil for my TFV12 Prince tank and I'll see how it goes. What I also want to try in the future is RTA tank for mtl, that would be interesting.

You're probably right about sub-ohm coils for smaller devices, I've vaped on my gf's Smok Nord on a 0.6 coil. I really like it, but even at 45-50w on a 0.4 coil my sub-ohm tank produces probably twice more vapor than the Nord.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Which TFV12 Prince coils are you using in Temperature Control mode ?
    What temp/watt combo works best?

Cheers
    I

I've used several different coils. My favorite is the dual mesh, but right now I'm using the K-6. I turned the temperature down to 200 degrees which is as low as my mod, the smok mag 225w, will go. I vape at 75 watts which is at the lower range of recommended for the coils. It never hurts to go lower than recommended, but if you go higher, you can burn out the coil.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for the advice, I haven't tried TC mode yet, I've only had that tank and mod for 5 days and never owned a sub-ohm before so I just kept it simple. But I will play around with it and experiment :) 60/40 PG/VG? Is this a typo or you sub-ohm higher PG juices? Again, most of the sources I found haven't even mentioned 50/50 for sub ohm, the general advice is to use 70VG or higher for sub ohm tanks so I haven't even tried my 50/50 juices that I use in my mtl setup.

No, I've been gradually increasing the VG in my juice. My next batch will be 50/50.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    @PeterKay you can't vape in TC with smok coils in that tank. They are probably all kanthal I don't think smok makes a single TC capable coil, I believe ah, MANY other coils will fit in that tank but I am clueless as to which ones. When you get your RBA deck you should be able to vape TC if you use stainless steel, titanium or nickel wire, keeping in mind the last two can ONLY be vaped in TC mode, nickel will melt if it gets too hot in wattage mode and Titanium gives off nasties, etc.

I think most people using TC are using SS these days as it's just easier in a lot of ways but some folks hate the taste and are die hard like, titanium people or whatever.

There are some fantastic RTAs that are MTL out there. My favorites (excluding the weird ones) include the Precio MTL RTA (good luck finding it in the USA though) the doggy style tank (can only get a clone, most people get from fasttech) but it's among one of the most beloved out there, they don't leak I sort of think you could vape it without a wick although I haven't tried it I have leaked plenty in my life time, the Siren V2 although it's a love or hate thing. Easy to build, comes liberally coated in machine oil more than any other tank. I have a hunch many complaining of flavor issues didn't clean it thoroughly enough. Although also you gotta have the right juice in there also it's not crazy nuanced so you cant put gossamer wing and eau de avocado and cucumber in it and expect a lot of win you need a pretty straightforward blend of like mango/peach/tropicalness or whatnot. But, I love mine with the right juice. The nature true is also a great MTL tank. I don't care for the Berserker although it's got great flavor the draw is too tight.

Vape NW is always selling the Silverplay on clearance for 4.95. It's a good MTL RTA but I wouldn't suggest it for first use. I think it's even 15% off clearance this weekend so you can get it for less. It might be worth picking up. I love mine but it can be a rather large pain in the but when it comes to setting up your vaping preferences and whatnot and wicking etc. but once you do it's a great vape.

Okay I have no idea why I typed all that but there you go.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    @PeterKay you can't vape in TC with smok coils in that tank. They are probably all kanthal I don't think smok makes a single TC capable coil, I believe ah, MANY other coils will fit in that tank but I am clueless as to which ones. When you get your RBA deck you should be able to vape TC if you use stainless steel, titanium or nickel wire, keeping in mind the last two can ONLY be vaped in TC mode, nickel will melt if it gets too hot in wattage mode and Titanium gives off nasties, etc.

I think most people using TC are using SS these days as it's just easier in a lot of ways but some folks hate the taste and are die hard like, titanium people or whatever.

There are some fantastic RTAs that are MTL out there. My favorites (excluding the weird ones) include the Precio MTL RTA (good luck finding it in the USA though) the doggy style tank (can only get a clone, most people get from fasttech) but it's among one of the most beloved out there, they don't leak I sort of think you could vape it without a wick although I haven't tried it I have leaked plenty in my life time, the Siren V2 although it's a love or hate thing. Easy to build, comes liberally coated in machine oil more than any other tank. I have a hunch many complaining of flavor issues didn't clean it thoroughly enough. Although also you gotta have the right juice in there also it's not crazy nuanced so you cant put gossamer wing and eau de avocado and cucumber in it and expect a lot of win you need a pretty straightforward blend of like mango/peach/tropicalness or whatnot. But, I love mine with the right juice. The nature true is also a great MTL tank. I don't care for the Berserker although it's got great flavor the draw is too tight.

Vape NW is always selling the Silverplay on clearance for 4.95. It's a good MTL RTA but I wouldn't suggest it for first use. I think it's even 15% off clearance this weekend so you can get it for less. It might be worth picking up. I love mine but it can be a rather large pain in the but when it comes to setting up your vaping preferences and whatnot and wicking etc. but once you do it's a great vape.

Okay I have no idea why I typed all that but there you go.

That's quite a lot of info for a guy who never even had an RTA before but hey, I'm here to learn and go forward, not backwards ;) Funny because I was about to ask about berserker mini RTA as I found it on sale yesterday, you've answered my question before I even had a chance to ask haha :D

RuiG

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 4, 2019
    Portugal
    My first question:

Do you mean nicotine hit or throat hit?

Nicotine doesn't need to be harsh or necessarily felt when inhaled. PG ratio for me is where the heat hit is.

When I started I was using 12mg in direct lung in my atomisers. Nowadays I get the same feeling in the throat using my current 1mg. Always using freeware since day one.

If you chain vape or go through a lot of liquid daily, I would not recommend high nicotine.

Stay safe.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    Remember that as you increase the power levels you will need to increase your airflow accordingly to match, or the vapor will get hot.

Yeah I noticed that, but I vape with the airflow fully open most of the time, sometimes I go down to 3/4 open. I found two things while looking for drip tips: adjustable airflow 810 drip tip (TFV Air), and 810 heat sink, both are pretty cheap gadgets so I might give them a go. Also found a drip tip- cooling tower, looks interesting. Have you used any of these before?

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    My first question:

Do you mean nicotine hit or throat hit?

Nicotine doesn't need to be harsh or necessarily felt when inhaled. PG ratio for me is where the heat hit is.

When I started I was using 12mg in direct lung in my atomisers. Nowadays I get the same feeling in the throat using my current 1mg. Always using freeware since day one.

If you chain vape or go through a lot of liquid daily, I would not recommend high nicotine.

Stay safe.

I can feel a slight throat hit (although less than with 18mg 50/50 liquids in my mtl), but I actually meant nicotine hit, when I feel coursing through my body, like getting slightly high, and all thoughts about cigarettes just drift away. Couldn't achieve that with 3-6mg liquids

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    adjustable airflow 810 drip tip (TFV Air), and 810 heat sink, have you used any of these before?

adjustable airflow 810 drip tip (TFV Air)
    810 TFV AIR Resin Drip Tip
    I found this non-adjustable one, but I see nothing adjustable about it and cannot see why you want it to. A good drip tip can make or break an atomizer. It so happens that this is pretty much the only style I like. Nice and wide like a chuff cap and reasonably high. I find regular 810s too short and not wide enough. For me if a drip tip is too narrow it concentrates the vapor flow in too tight a stream which burns my mouth. Apart from the TVF-8 which has this tip, my other favourite is the Velocity RDA which has almost exactly the same drip tip.

810 heat sink
    810 Drip Tip Heat Sink Adaptor - Premium UK E-Liquid, DIY Liquid, RDA Coils Drip tips & Battery Wraps - Sir Vapealot LTD Premium UK E-Liquid E-Liquid Concentrates Rda Coils Battery Wraps and more...
    I found this one. Seems pointless to me. If the atomizer is hot enough to heat up your drip tip, then the vapor is going to be so hot your lips will already have caught fire.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread