Nitecore SC4-Internal Resistance Measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

skineedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2015
I just unboxed a new Nitecore SC4 battery charger. Was very excited to have the ability to charge at 6amps across four slots AND to be able to measure the battery's internal resistance.

So, after measuring the internal resistance of twenty 18650s and six 26650s, I realized the resistance measured by the charger would almost always be different if I remeasured the battery.

When measuring the battery, I only insert it long enough to take a reading not to begin charging and therefore heating the battery which could affect the resistance.

Does anyone else have this charger? If so, what are your results when measuring the IR?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I don't have that charger but your measurements should be in the 18mOhm to 25mOhm range for the 15A to 30A batteries we use, when fairly new. These numbers are for fully charged batteries allowed to rest at least 1/2 hour after before no charged. The internal resistance change significantly with temperature and, less so, with the state of charge of the battery.

Removing and reinserting the battery shouldn't change the measurement by more than a milliohm, at the most.

KGB7

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    Rockville, MD
    I just unboxed a new Nitecore SC4 battery charger. Was very excited to have the ability to charge at 6amps across four slots AND to be able to measure the battery's internal resistance.

So, after measuring the internal resistance of twenty 18650s and six 26650s, I realized the resistance measured by the charger would almost always be different if I remeasured the battery.

When measuring the battery, I only insert it long enough to take a reading not to begin charging and therefore heating the battery which could affect the resistance.

Does anyone else have this charger? If so, what are your results when measuring the IR?

Just to be clear, 6amps across all slots, is only 1.5amp per slot when you charge 4 batteries at the same time.

I just hope you don’t think you can charge at 6 amps per slot.

Reactions: stols001

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    so if it's lower than 18mOhm or over 25mOhm we shouldn't use them?
    I have a XTAR dragon Plus that checks IR, checking some after work.

No, that's just a typical range.
    Lower than that is never a problem. Higher than that just indicates an incorrect reading or a battery that is aging or has been damaged. Stop using them whenever their performance drop pisses you off too much. The IR won't really matter. :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I'm thinking of ordering this charger/analyzer for its ability to cycle a battery and report its current MAH rating to determine which of my batteries are candidates for recycle and replacement. I have quite a few Sony VCT6's, Samsung 30Q's, and LG HG2's, some of which are suspect for declining battery life. This one can do a standard recharge or cycle the battery down to a preset voltage point and recharge, and then report MAH state at end of the deep cycle charge.

Anyone used this one or have a suggestion for a better analyzer under $50?

https://www.amazon.com/AccuPower-IQ...660002&sr=8-1&keywords=18650+charger+analyzer

71y9Q1wCv4L._SL1245_.jpg

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I'm thinking of ordering this charger/analyzer for its ability to cycle a battery and report its current MAH rating to determine which of my batteries are candidates for recycle and replacement. I have quite a few Sony VCT6's, Samsung 30Q's, and LG HG2's, some of which are suspect for declining battery life. This one can do a standard recharge or cycle the battery down to a preset voltage point and recharge, and then report MAH state at end of the deep cycle charge.

Anyone used this one or have a suggestion for a better analyzer under $50?

https://www.amazon.com/AccuPower-IQ...660002&sr=8-1&keywords=18650+charger+analyzer

71y9Q1wCv4L._SL1245_.jpg

No recommendations but no need to measure capacity. Just replace when their decreased performance pisses you off too much. :)

skineedog

ECF Veteran
    Oct 29, 2015
    No, that's just a typical range.
    Lower than that is never a problem. Higher than that just indicates an incorrect reading or a battery that is aging or has been damaged. Stop using them whenever their performance drop pisses you off too much. The IR won't really matter. :)

Well, I'm going to go for incorrect reading. Two sets checked were new, never used VTC5As. The lowest reading I got with any batteries I tested was 42.

Just to be clear, 6amps across all slots, is only 1.5amp per slot when you charge 4 batteries at the same time.

I just hope you don’t think you can charge at 6 amps per slot.

No, I was never under the impression I would be able to charge 6 amps per slot. It's 6amps across all four slots... But it can charge 2 slots at 3amps each. Or 4 slots at 1.5 each. Total never more than 6amps....

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Well, I'm going to go for incorrect reading. Two sets checked were new, never used VTC5As. The lowest reading I got with any batteries I tested was 42.

If the readings are pretty consistent across multiple readings of the same cell, within a mOhm or so, then you can use that feature without problems. A consistent offset from the actual IR is ok.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread