No luck with the tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarkvemada

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Austin, Texas, United States
I got a few chinese made 3.5ml tanks. Every time I try- no luck.. First time I used it, I primed it first inside the carto , then filled the tank with juice . Got almost no air flaw. I thought the carto hole is too small. I drilled it slightly bigger. Now I'm getting the same low air flaw with ugly guggling with juice in my mouth.. I pour the most of the juice back to it's bottle and leave just a little in the tank, just below the hole.. Now it works OK.. not so good, but OK, acceptable.. Why things like that happened? What I did wrong?
Thanks in advance!

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
Tanks, just like PVs, have a learning curve when you first start using them.
First off, what PV are you using and what is the PG/VG ratio of the juice your using?
Are you using the pre-punched 1.5ohm dual coil carto that comes with the Smoktech tanks? The pre-punched hole in them is small. With thin PG juices, the small hole can work, but if your using thIcker VG juices then you might have to punch the hole slightly bigger.
You should fill the carto completely before inserting it into the tank and filling the tank. The airflow of a carto should be no different whether your using a tank or not. Either you really overfilled it/messed up the airtube, didn't blow out or clear the airtube before using it, or its just a bad carto that was like that from the beginning. If you hold the carto up to a light, you should be able to see through it.
The carto is making gurggling noises now bc you punched the hole too big which is causing the carto to flood. If you think the hole in a carto is too small and want to make it bigger, you have to make it bigger alittle at a time. You can always make it alittle bigger and try it, and then if the hole is still too small, make it alittle bigger and try again. But as soon as you make the hole too big, your screwed bc the carto will just keep flooding.
Throw the carto out and chalk it up as a learning experience. Use a new one and if your going to make the hole bigger, go slow!! It can be alittle tough at first to get it right, but once you do then it's easy bc you'll know exactly how big the hole needs to be for the particular juice your using.
Also you have to remember to do dry pulls. Dry pulls are VERY important in getting a tank to work correctly. Sometimes, and especially if your a chain-vaper, the tank won't feed juice to the carto fast enough to keep it continuously wet, even if the hole is the correct size. Take a few hard pulls on your PV without pushing the button, that's a dry pull. Doing that will force juice into the carto and help keep it wet. Periodically do a few dry pulls while your vaping and that will help avoid getting dry hits.
Like I said, there is a slight learning curve with tanks, but don't give up bc you will get the hang of it if you give it a chance.

Hope this helps

Tarkvemada

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
mynameisrob , thank you so much! I really appreciate the time you spent giving this detailed explanation! :thumbs: The pre-punched cartos I got is from Health cabin, don't know if it's smoktech. Yeah, I probably made the hole too big -something like 2mm diameter. I used PG/VG juice 70/30 on Apollo VTube.

Tarkvemada

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Actually holes is not covered up.. I took another carto, drilled hole slightly bigger than the original - about 1mm diameter. Now a little better air, but I'm getting burned taste. I left it for a few hrs, but still have the burned taste.. Yeah, I'm def good at burning tanks, than using it.. LOL The cartos I have is not Smoktech.. Just generic chinese ones.. Tomorrow I'm expecting one from Totally wicked to arrive.. Hope I can use some of your recommendations when I'll set it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread