No vapor with Johnson Creek juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinch

Jun 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hi guys, I'm very confused about something.

I always use Mrs. T's juice, and I get fine vapor and throat hit.

I just got some of Johnson Creek's Red Oak Domestic. I can't seem to get any vapor. When I push the button on my battery, I just hear some weird "crackling" type sound. I inhale a harsh, irritated feeling on my throat, and no vapor comes out.

After about 5 minutes of hitting dry, I suddenly start to get vapor production. This has never happened to me before, does it have something to do with VG juice?

Also, I'm using a brand new battery, new atty (yes I blew out the primer fluid), and a new PTB cartridge.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Grinch, it's probably because you blew out the primer. Really, all primer is only PG. It isn't the bad tasting stuff it was a year ago. Some of the machining residue could be responsible for some off taste of the new atty, but generally, I never blow out attys and always add a few drops of e-liquid to the bridge when I get ready to use the new atty so they vape well right off the bat.

The harsh irritated bit of vapor means it isn't wet enough. New attys need quite a bit of liquid to get them going right (the metal mesh surrounding the atomizer pot needs to be pretty wet). I always add 3-4 drops to mine with the original primer in them.

I suggest you put some more drops in the atty and you'll probably get it going well right away. Add 2 or 3, vape... no vapor? Try a few more drops.

The other thing that it could possibly be (but doubt it) is your battery/atty connection isn't working well (could be a bad atty/battery center post connection). Clean them well with a microfiber and if need be, pull up (gently!) the center post on the atomizer. Or, could be just a bad atty. Do you have an old one or other new one to try with the liquid?

VG should be putting out plumes. Last thing is to email JC to ask about the liquid.

Grinch

Jun 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Wow...I have always blow out the attys. But I only got into e-cigs about 3 months ago, and I tried to follow all the advice posted on this forum! The stickied thread here "everything about your 510" has a getting started section that says this:

"Second, blow out your atomizer. The atomizer comes from the factory with a “primer fluid” to keep it moist, but it tastes terrible. Simply place your mouth over the threaded end and blow hard onto a paper towel until no more liquid comes out."

That's why I blow it out. If it's not a good idea, maybe they should edit the post so people don't make the same mistake I do? Because what you're telling me to do is the exact opposite of what the forum guide says, and people always say to read the threads before asking questions :p

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Yeah, old school stuff... at one time, the mfg's were using some off tasting flavored PG (once I bought some attys that had BAD pineapple flavored e-liquid in them as primer) which was probably purchased cheap from Boge/Dekang to use as the primer after attys were manufactured. They listened to users who complained (and were having to blow out/clean the attys before using) so most of the manufacturers use clean PG to prime these days.

Bad/harsh taste isn't from primer... it's from not putting your e-liquid in them in the right amount before you start vaping that new atty. I just started a new LR801 atty, added a few drops to the atty and still got a harsh hit... not enough liquid. Four more drops added and it's heaven.

Sometimes advise that isn't quite so good anymore continues on... and is repeated in the forums. I've been vaping over 16 months... I don't blow out attys ever. Primer is in there for a reason.

Let us know how you're doing.

telsie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Maryland
I always blow out my atties because the primer fluid tastes icky to me and often times there's way too much of it in the atomizer. I don't go crazy getting every last bit of primer fluid out, but I try to get most of it out. Then I put a couple drops of flavored e-liquid in there, blow once more (to make sure the flavor overtakes any remaining primer taste), wipe off the threads, attach my cartridge and vape.

I use Johnson Creek and don't have any trouble with vapor production. Mostly I use their PG formula, but when I fill one of the little 3ml plastic bottles they give you, I also add about 10 drops of one of their Red Oak VG flavors to boost the vapor. It works great for me, so I'm betting the problem was either that your cartridge or atty was too dry or it was simply a defective atty (it happens sometimes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread