Noisy Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
It looks like this mod has been around for some time. Roadside Vapes is selling them for $19.95. Seems like this would be a good addition to the collection. I did read the warning about the hybrid connection, and will use an atomizer with a protruding pin.

One question: With double the voltage, is there any concern about the insulation in an rda?

Reactions: DPLongo22

Spey

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2016
Lost me with "insulation in an rda" ??

Appears you are talking about the OG Noisy Cricket. This mod is a series only mod, meaning you will need to build for series use ONLY (both battery configuration and atty builds). I remember when they were like $9/each.

Optionally, there was/is the Noisy Cricket II (NC2) that has option for both series and/or parallel dual battery use.

Personally, I prefer the NC2-25 (2nd gen). The original was NC2-22 (22mm atty) then came the 2nd gen NC2-25 (25mm atty) along with modifications to the adjustable potentiometer. One of my favorites, so long as you have alternate ohm reader to check/test your builds.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I've owned a number of both the NC1 and the NC2-25 and liked them both.

The unregulated NC1 is a great little mod with fantastic ergonomics and cheap as chips. It is however like most two battery series unregulated mods or any unregulated mechanical device dangerous if you get complacent. Can be safed by flipping the fire button over. I stopped using mine as I went off unregulated devices.

The NC2 is also both visually and ergonomically pleasing. Its mix of regulated and semi-unregulated options was pretty groundbreaking at the time. The lack of electronics and a screen make very uncomplicated, and the milled from a solid billet body makes it tough.
I went through three of them, and they all failed for different reasons. The 510 went of one, the battery plates of the bottom cover on another. The last one developed a problem where it started draining batteries and causing them to leak. So I gave up using them and moved to a double barrel V3 which offers a very similar physical design, compact and comfortable.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I've got the NC2-22 and the NC2-25. I like them both with a slight preference for the smaller one (most of my atties are 22s).

Roadside's top notch (IMO). I believe theirs are the NC1. I can only say that you're in good hands buying from them, at least based on my experiences.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
Lost me with "insulation in an rda" ??

I was talking about the insulation that separates the positive post from the negative deck. I wouldn't think that 8 volts would be beyond the capability of that insulation to prevent a short. None of the responses here mentioned any such issue.

thanks for the input. When building for a mech, I always test it on a box mod first to verify the ohms, and that all is well with the build. I want to try out the Oct Core wire that I got from Advanced Vapes. I was surprised that the Ohms/ft of that wire is close to the regular fused clapton wire. The extra volts will allow me to use a large 4 mm coil with 6 or 7 wraps to provide a lot of surface area.

Reactions: DPLongo22

Spey

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2016
QUOTE=Ed Brown "... beyond the capability of that insulation to prevent a short. None of the responses here mentioned any such issue."

If there is ANY question about the insulator in deck and/or 510-pin, including 510 center-pin protrusion height, would NOT use on un-regulated mod.

Also, overall length/length of 510 should be confirmed against range of spec on the mod. Can be CRITICAL dimensioning on a un-reg-mech. Too long 510 can cause issues. DJLsb Vapes used to compile a list of atty's and mod's he measured 510 lengths on, and made into spreadsheet, etc. available for DL.

In general, I see no issue related to your question. If you want to run say 20+ amps, whether you choose to measure in volts or watts, run in parallel or series, quality of insulator should be no different ... needs to be 100% or [emoji91]

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I like the looks of that nc 2, they should make it with a squeeze bottle on one side.:)

_sidecar.jpg

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
The Noisy Cricket arrived. I realized that a big RDA with big coils won't fit on this mod. So I pulled out a Congrevape Ignition RDA and coiled it with 28x2/40 fused Clapton, 4.0, 12/11 build that came out to 0.5 ohms for the two together. It pushes 16 amps and 128 watts. What a cloud machine! The taste is very fine too.

20201120_154050(0).jpg
20201120_154128.jpg

Attachments

• 20201120_154050(0).jpg
    20201120_154050(0).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10

gsmit1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2018
I have 4 of the NC1. I actually prefer that version. This mod has to be taken for what it is. The poor man's series box. Like any good mech, it is perfectly safe if handled properly.

I've never had an issue with the 510 insulator on any atty I've put on it.

IMHO, series is no more dangerous than parallel and in some ways maybe less so.
20200513_154933_cr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread