Noob build ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

F1aminfury

Jan 10, 2015
Ok so this may have been a mistake but im a flavor chaser . And watching videos all i hear about is veritas by faceless as best flavor .. So i bought it and have never built a. Coil .. Bought some wat i thought was 28 awg wire got it in the mail its 32 awg kanthal soo how can i build the easiest 1.5~1.8ohm build ? Im using a tesla that tells me ohms and i think below 1.5 it wont fire and stock coils for my aerotank are 2.0ohm so really 1.5~2.0 ohm but with 32awg wire? Is that possible? All i can find are sub ohm builds and im not ready for all that yet. Also i have organic cotton balls if that makes any change and a coil jig soon coming in the mail . Idk single or dual build? Horizontal or vertical build? 5 wraps or 15 wraps?

Ive used steam engine and for a 1.8ohm dual it said 14 wraps .. Is that 14 each coil!? Or like a dual 7 wrap coil .. I think i went in over my head on this one .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
Hmm... Well, first off 32g wire is definitely not for sub ohming really, unless you're running a crazy amount in parallel or something. For your purpose, it'll work just fine.

I'd recommend sticking to single coil builds since you're stuck with a tesla. For a single coil build, using 32g wire, around a 3/32 drill bit (~2.3mm mandrel) and aiming for 2Ω, you'd need 5 wraps. If you wanted to do dual coil, using the same wire & mandrel, aiming for 2Ω, each coil would have to be ~10 wraps. As for the orientation of the coil, I haven't built on the Veritas so couldn't really say. Just watch some youtube builds to get an idea of how other people are putting their coils in, then throw your coil in the same way.

Oh, and as for your question... Yes, 14 wraps per coil (You used a smaller mandrel for the calculator than I did). Assuming your dual coils are identical, the overall resistance of the build will be half the resistance of one coil. For example, a .5Ω dual coil build would read as 1Ω if you removed either of the coils. Read up on Ohms law and basic electricity (Parallel v.s. series) if you didn't know this, it's going to make your building experience a lot safer ^_^

Last edited:

F1aminfury

Jan 10, 2015
Hmm... Well, first off 32g wire is definitely not for sub ohming really, unless you're running a crazy amount in parallel or something. For your purpose, it'll work just fine.

I'd recommend sticking to single coil builds since you're stuck with a tesla. For a single coil build, using 32g wire, around a 3/32 drill bit (~2.3mm mandrel) and aiming for 2Ω, you'd need 5 wraps. If you wanted to do dual coil, using the same wire & mandrel, aiming for 2Ω, each coil would have to be ~10 wraps. As for the orientation of the coil, I haven't built on the Veritas so couldn't really say. Just watch some youtube builds to get an idea of how other people are putting their coils in, then throw your coil in the same way.

Oh, and as for your question... Yes, 14 wraps per coil (You used a smaller mandrel for the calculator than I did). Assuming your dual coils are identical, the overall resistance of the build will be half the resistance of one coil. For example, a .5Ω dual coil build would read as 1Ω if you removed either of the coils. Read up on Ohms law and basic electricity (Parallel v.s. series) if you didn't know this, it's going to make your building experience a lot safer ^_^

Thank you so much for the help i was so lost with that calculator ! And every build was like weird gauge wire or sub ohm build im like y u no make my build -.-

Lol but i really appreciate it! And how does one go about cotton balls ? U just pull it apart? Leave if like lose or twist it up? I see every1 using pre made wicks ?

And 5 wraps seems like not a lot of coil .. To me that just seems tiny not enough to be a "good" coil . I gues i have to build it before i complain huh? Lol

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
Yeah, like I said 32g is definitely not a sub ohm type of wire :p If you do 5 wraps, make them spaced... A micro-coil using 32 would be pretty hard anyway :O You could also use a smaller drill bit, that would decrease the inner diameter allowing you to fit more wraps into the same resistance. If you used the ID you mentioned in your first post (the 14 wrap dual coil one), then a single coil would need 7 wraps for 1.8Ω.

As for the cotton balls, you can either find where it starts to unravel on the outside then pull or pop the center out and unroll it that way, either works. I suppose some people just pull it off the ball, but I find having a strip to work with makes for more consistent wicks :p

F1aminfury

Jan 10, 2015
Yeah, like I said 32g is definitely not a sub ohm type of wire :p If you do 5 wraps, make them spaced... A micro-coil using 32 would be pretty hard anyway :O You could also use a smaller drill bit, that would decrease the inner diameter allowing you to fit more wraps into the same resistance. If you used the ID you mentioned in your first post (the 14 wrap dual coil one), then a single coil would need 7 wraps for 1.8Ω.

As for the cotton balls, you can either find where it starts to unravel on the outside then pull or pop the center out and unroll it that way, either works. I suppose some people just pull it off the ball, but I find having a strip to work with makes for more consistent wicks :p

Doesnt spaced coils make diff resistance tho? Like if u have a 2mm gap and 5 wraps and 2in gaps and 5 wraps it makes a diff right lol? Thank goodness i learn fast cause if i had to go threw this everytime id just be smoking cigs lol xD

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
I wanna say slightly, but not much. Unless you're talking ultra sub ohm where every .001Ω matters, insignificantly. Wrap a contact coil the best you can (make sure it's tight) then see how far you can pull it apart (while it's on the mandrel) without it drawing any more wire. As long as you're not leaving giant gaps between the wraps you should be fine :p

Last edited:

F1aminfury

Jan 10, 2015
I wanna say slightly, but not much. Unless you're talking ultra sub ohm where every .001Ω matters, insignificantly. Wrap a contact coil the best you can (make sure it's tight) then see how far you can pull it apart (while it's on the mandrel) without it drawing any more wire. As long as you're not leaving giant gaps between the wraps you should be fine :p

Thanks so much that helps alot ! And 0.001ohm!? Uhhh no thank u . Lol maybe ill build the first -1ohm build xD biggest baddest and last cloud u ever make hahahaha jk tho. Anyways i wish there was people around me that build also so we can like all get together

F1aminfury

Jan 10, 2015
There probably are, check facebook. Type in the closest major city to you and vape in the search bar and see if any groups pop up :p I was surprised how many there were for my area, learned about a couple new shops that are pretty good too.

I deleted facebook . Drama lol but a quick google search wouldnt hurt anytime i do a search this sites number1 about anything vape related hence why i joined lol xD you guys are great!

Edit* i made a new thread in the South Carolina sub forum . Hope its the right place . Lol

Last edited:

F1aminfury

Jan 10, 2015
e68d859a242c50a2d281d8a77933e575.jpg

Veritas just came in! Coworker said i had nice nails lol. Its my mom im at work shes baby sitting i always miss my deliveries cause i leave at 2pm mail comes at 2:15pm -.- and i wanted to see what that baby looked like so yea my moms nails my Veritas lol

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
Well,
To better answer the question of spacing that would break down to the understanding of how the resistance works for wire. Resistance is easily measured in ohm/ft meaning that a straight piece of wire will ohm out at xx ohms at 1 foot so. the tiny spaces you'll leave in the coil may alter it by .03 ohms if that.

so... I'll give you this one to help figure it out, all these are ohm/in of Kanthal A-1 wire

28 gauge is .47 ohm/in
30 gauge is .69 ohm/in
32 gauge is 1.21 ohm/in
34 gauge is 2.23 ohm/in

also you don't want to space out your coils too much, you don't want cold spots on your wick so basically where the last coil's heating zone leans off the coil next to it should pick up. The old 306 attys had great success in this method and produced some awesome flavor of any atomizer I can recall (they aren't used very much anylonger these days).

Hope this helps out some.

edit: Sorry didn't see your last post, the higher the gauge the wire is the faster it heats up..it may be that your burning the cotton in places. carefully re-wick your atomizer, look at the cotton to see if you have any charred areas. if you do then you'll need to decrease the wattage/voltage (don't know which mode your mod is set in) a bit to reduce that. Also ensure that your wick is feeding quickly to the coils, a strangled (tight) wick will not feed as fast as a slightly loose wick. I use Rayon and not cotton myself but the principals are the same, the cotton should slide back and forth easily in the coil without deforming your coil when you move it but not loose enough that the cotton can fall out at the slightest touch. So slightly snug but not too much, also I've learned that fanning out your cotton tail ends (or fluffing it) will allow more channels for the juice to flow up (more straws is better then one giant one). Again I play with Rayon that is a bit different but try those and let us know if it works, hope this helped.

Last edited:

F1aminfury

Jan 10, 2015
Well,
To better answer the question of spacing that would break down to the understanding of how the resistance works for wire. Resistance is easily measured in ohm/ft meaning that a straight piece of wire will ohm out at xx ohms at 1 foot so. the tiny spaces you'll leave in the coil may alter it by .03 ohms if that.

so... I'll give you this one to help figure it out, all these are ohm/in of Kanthal A-1 wire

28 gauge is .47 ohm/in
30 gauge is .69 ohm/in
32 gauge is 1.21 ohm/in
34 gauge is 2.23 ohm/in

also you don't want to space out your coils too much, you don't want cold spots on your wick so basically where the last coil's heating zone leans off the coil next to it should pick up. The old 306 attys had great success in this method and produced some awesome flavor of any atomizer I can recall (they aren't used very much anylonger these days).

Hope this helps out some.

edit: Sorry didn't see your last post, the higher the gauge the wire is the faster it heats up..it may be that your burning the cotton in places. carefully re-wick your atomizer, look at the cotton to see if you have any charred areas. if you do then you'll need to decrease the wattage/voltage (don't know which mode your mod is set in) a bit to reduce that. Also ensure that your wick is feeding quickly to the coils, a strangled (tight) wick will not feed as fast as a slightly loose wick. I use Rayon and not cotton myself but the principals are the same, the cotton should slide back and forth easily in the coil without deforming your coil when you move it but not loose enough that the cotton can fall out at the slightest touch. So slightly snug but not too much, also I've learned that fanning out your cotton tail ends (or fluffing it) will allow more channels for the juice to flow up (more straws is better then one giant one). Again I play with Rayon that is a bit different but try those and let us know if it works, hope this helped.

This seems so confusing but the principals itself are understood . Just doing it is complicated . Luckily i have what looks like a shoe lace that came with the new veritas . . Is that rayon ? Im not to keen on using fiberglass as a wick fiberglass is nasty stuff i do construction . Well did im in a chemical plant now but anyways . And yea my wick browns im the middle . So is that "burning"? . I made a mistake of "dry burning" with a dry wick and let me tell u i thought i was gana set off the fire alarms at 4 am i was like ... Ohhh crap.. And fyi- fire needs oxygen to burn. So go ahead and blow on a cotton fire and watch it grow! Not good!!!

F1aminfury

Jan 10, 2015
So i got a CLEAN 3.4 ohm coil . Tastes amazing tho takes awhilr to heat up but i keep it low volts i turned it up to 5.5v and coughed a lung up it was not burnt not hot vapor just made me choke for like 30 min. So my builds are getting cleaner and cleaner and i have ocd so it bothers me so much if its not -.- so this rda thing is killing me . Go to move it a bit and it moves like just the middle or they touch or this or that im like ..., ughhhh

F1aminfury

Jan 10, 2015
ada84b3d16ae6acfe42d950ff474e41a.jpg

First single horizontal coil

2af9f31ae02b06e9573cf70b41678ae2.jpg

First ever dual coil ! 1.8ohm

Probly the ugliest coils ever and a little to much cotton in the dual coil but i wana give a huge shout out to midnight for skyping me at like 3am for an hour teaching me how to build it and helping me not give up. I have very little patience and no amount of youtube could have prepaired me for the task i took on . On youtube there like u do this then this then boom im like ... I got this then went to wrap on and was like .. Wait wahh !? But anyways im still learning! But its sooooooo much better then kanger tanks! Like omg the flavor :eek: its almost like eating the darn thing! And also i need to lower nic levels idk why but this hits so hard i almost coughed out a lung at 18mg nic lol . Instead headache and omg the weirdest feeling in your throat its not like anything i felt before its just .. A very strong annoyance that doesnt let u breath without coughing .

Anyways im rambling and i just wana say thank you to every1 for answering all my noob questions no matter how stupid or how many times its already been asked!

My next adventure will be a kayfun light and the mutation x v2 that midnight recommended . And soon wana get into making my own e juice but idk a good place for flavor concentrates are. Any recommendations will not go unnoticed ! Any pointers hints tips tricks all very appreciated !

Vape-a-way!

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
For an easy start to DIY ejuice Mt Baker Vapor sells flavorings for most of their juices, if you mix at 15% flavoring you can always add more. Once you are comfortable with mixing you can move on to The Flavor Apprentice (aka TFA), Flavourart (FA), and other well-documented flavoring companies.

-Treeburner

F1aminfury

Jan 10, 2015
For an easy start to DIY ejuice Mt Baker Vapor sells flavorings for most of their juices, if you mix at 15% flavoring you can always add more. Once you are comfortable with mixing you can move on to The Flavor Apprentice (aka TFA), Flavourart (FA), and other well-documented flavoring companies.

-Treeburner

Do they have there own website? Cause iv tried searching on google and i find prices from $8 to $1 ranging from .23 ml <- tf is thT anyways to 8ml and i have no idea is 8ml good amount!?

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
MtBakerVapor.com, the flavors are in 15ml bottles and are generally mixed at 15-40% (most I've used are good at 15%). At 2.99/15ml they're not the cheapest flavors, but it's an easy way to start. If you want to dive right in you can get TFA, FA or other flavor brands, but if you do that be sure to look up some of the suggested percentages, as they can range wildly between flavors, with concentrations between 0.01% up to 20% or more - at least the MBV flavorings are a consistent strength.

-Treeburner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread