[noob] - TCR with Crown 3 and Nautilus 2 coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon Shinne

Mar 22, 2018
Hello world!

Stumbled through google and found this forum! So much information here...
I tried searching through the threads but my noobiness prevented me from understanding what might be simple for you guys.

I had fun with some thin vape pens before, but I recently purchased the Joyetech Evic VTwo Mini, and I have no idea how to set the ArcticFox settings for TC/TCR to work properly.

As of right now, I have the Crown 3 0.5 and 0.25 ohm coils, as well as the Nautilus 2 0.15 and 0.7 ohm coils. When I tried using the SS316 TC settings with the Crown 3 coils, it didn't fire. It would instantly go to "Protection" mode and that was it. Taking it off TC mode and going into Power Mode, even at 50 watts I would feel like it burned the .... out of my lungs...

I tried the Nautilus 2's 0.5 coils in TC Ni200 setting, but it didn't fire either... straight into "Protection" mode.

I'm obviously not doing something right and was hoping to get some good information on setting it up for those 4 different coils (or whatever you recommend).

If someone is willing to jump into Discord for some chatting and screen sharing (for the ArcticFox settings), I would be ECSTATIC! Regardless, any and all help is truly appreciated.

P.S. - the only thing that has worked so far was to use the Nautilus 2 0.15 Ni200 coil on power mode at 18.0W :(

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um, a few things.

You cannot vape kanthal coils in TC mode, regardless of how accurate (or not) your TC on your mod is. Kanthal either varies too widely in temperature when heated or not enough, (can never remember which) for TC to keep good control over your temperatures, using that wire. So, you can't use any of your nautilus 2 coils and there is no 0.5 nautilus coil that I know of (from the nautilus line.) Not sure if you are using the 0.7 coil but it is still kanthal. The only "nautilus" coil (only it really isn't, it's a triton mini coil, and it's ceramic but it will fit in an N2 tank) and that can be vaped in TC mode on the right setting. If you can find them, the Triton mini has been discontinued I think. If you are good at rebuilding you could try rebuilding and rewicking your N2 coils with stainless steel wire, only they are extremely hard to rebuild (although it can be done).

Materials that can be vaped in TC mode: nickel (and ONLY TC) titanium (same thing) or stainless steel (can be vaped in either mode) and some ceramic coils depending what other materials are used.

So, I think the coils you are using are part of your issue. Don't EVER vape nickel in wattage mode, it can overheat and give off undesirable byproducts.

Once you've researched all your coils and figured out what you can and cannot use, it's perfectly fine to then work on TC accuracy, even with an upgrade if you want. But I think your main problem, currently, is that you are using the wrong coils in the wrong modes. You were getting temp protect all the time with kanthal coils as they aren't designed to work that way, etc.

I might try straight wattage for a bit, get a sense of what you like. I keep my TC settings similar to my wattage settings (for ramp up wattage) and keep my temperature set pretty low. 99% of the time, my coils don't even heat up enough to reach TC mode, but all that tells me is that I am doing the right things to not overheat vapes that I vape in wattage mode.

Best of luck,

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't have the Crown 3 (I use the original Crown tank), but I found the specs for its coils:

Uwell Crown 3 SUS316 Parallel Coil 0.25ohm Atomizer Heads for Variable Wattage or SS316 TC Mode:
  • Manufacturer's Recommended Wattage Range: 80 - 90W
Uwell Crown 3 SUS316 Parallel Coil 0.5ohm Atomizer Heads for Variable Wattage or SS316 TC Mode:
  • Manufacturer's Recommended Wattage Range: 70 - 80W
I'm not certain and I could be entirely wrong, but I believe once you are in TC mode with your Evic, you get options to choose what TC mode you can use, which would be SS316.
I have tried TC with my Crown 1 and wasn't that impressed. I only use wattage mode. Hopefully the above info is helpful.

Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I’ve used my OG crown in temp control with the .5 coils and it worked pretty well. I set the tcr at 105 which seemed to work well. The 3 uses different coils but try using tcr and go between 90-110 and see if it Vapes well. That’s all I got, good luck to you.

Moon Shinne

Mar 22, 2018
Um, a few things.

You cannot vape kanthal coils in TC mode, regardless of how accurate (or not) your TC on your mod is. Kanthal either varies too widely in temperature when heated or not enough, (can never remember which) for TC to keep good control over your temperatures, using that wire. So, you can't use any of your nautilus 2 coils and there is no 0.5 nautilus coil that I know of (from the nautilus line.) Not sure if you are using the 0.7 coil but it is still kanthal. The only "nautilus" coil (only it really isn't, it's a triton mini coil, and it's ceramic but it will fit in an N2 tank) and that can be vaped in TC mode on the right setting. If you can find them, the Triton mini has been discontinued I think. If you are good at rebuilding you could try rebuilding and rewicking your N2 coils with stainless steel wire, only they are extremely hard to rebuild (although it can be done).

Materials that can be vaped in TC mode: nickel (and ONLY TC) titanium (same thing) or stainless steel (can be vaped in either mode) and some ceramic coils depending what other materials are used.

So, I think the coils you are using are part of your issue. Don't EVER vape nickel in wattage mode, it can overheat and give off undesirable byproducts.

Once you've researched all your coils and figured out what you can and cannot use, it's perfectly fine to then work on TC accuracy, even with an upgrade if you want. But I think your main problem, currently, is that you are using the wrong coils in the wrong modes. You were getting temp protect all the time with kanthal coils as they aren't designed to work that way, etc.

I might try straight wattage for a bit, get a sense of what you like. I keep my TC settings similar to my wattage settings (for ramp up wattage) and keep my temperature set pretty low. 99% of the time, my coils don't even heat up enough to reach TC mode, but all that tells me is that I am doing the right things to not overheat vapes that I vape in wattage mode.

Best of luck,

Anna

Thanks for the reply!
But just to be clear, I don’t have kanthal coils. I have the Ni200 and the SUS316.

Moon Shinne

Mar 22, 2018
I don't have the Crown 3 (I use the original Crown tank), but I found the specs for its coils:

Uwell Crown 3 SUS316 Parallel Coil 0.25ohm Atomizer Heads for Variable Wattage or SS316 TC Mode:
  • Manufacturer's Recommended Wattage Range: 80 - 90W
Uwell Crown 3 SUS316 Parallel Coil 0.5ohm Atomizer Heads for Variable Wattage or SS316 TC Mode:
  • Manufacturer's Recommended Wattage Range: 70 - 80W
I'm not certain and I could be entirely wrong, but I believe once you are in TC mode with your Evic, you get options to choose what TC mode you can use, which would be SS316.
I have tried TC with my Crown 1 and wasn't that impressed. I only use wattage mode. Hopefully the above info is helpful.

Yup, that’s what I set up. It didn’t fire and went right into “Protection”

Reactions: stols001

Moon Shinne

Mar 22, 2018
I’ve used my OG crown in temp control with the .5 coils and it worked pretty well. I set the tcr at 105 which seemed to work well. The 3 uses different coils but try using tcr and go between 90-110 and see if it Vapes well. That’s all I got, good luck to you.

Thanks! I’ll give this a try. I feel like if the TCR is set right, it will work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread