Noob with tank and juice questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amikkwe

Dec 7, 2017
Indiana, USA
Okay, when I introduced myself here Friday, I got a lot of good advice. I pulled the trigger and ended up ordering the Evic VTC Mini online. I had pretty much had that in mind to begin with after a lot of reading and youtube reviews, and after hearing good about it here, decided to buy it. As I said before my only previous vaping experience was a vision spinner gifted to me, but it just didn't have enough oomph in pretty short order and I just ended back on the cigs. But I digress, I decided I think I will go with the Efest Eluc V2 battery charger, and was thinking the LG HG2 18650 3000mAh 20A batteries.Sound right? Also, I have heard the tank that comes with the evic has leakage problems, and I think it is more of a subohm tank anyway. I am looking for more of a MTL higher resistance, low wattage type of vaping style tank. Would that be best as a new vaper? I want flavor but decent vapor production, Hopefully top fill. I have been seeing good things about the Sense Blazer Nano, wish it had a bigger tank than 2 ml, but everyone says it has good flavor, and decent vapor production, it is top fill. Looking for any input or suggestions. Probably be a couple of weeks before I get the rest of this stuff ordered as I have bills to pay, but that just gives me time for great input and research so I get the best outcome when the time comes. Also have a question about ejuice, where should I start 50/50 or what? And what would you guys recommend for just starting for nic level? I currently smoke 1 1/2 - 2 packs a day? It seems everyone has a different opinion on blogs and videos. I don't want to go too high and have massive coughing attacks and throat irritation, but I also don't want to feel like I am chain vaping, where I never set it down for a minute. Sorry for so much all in one thread, but I have already been researching all day for days, not afraid to try to find my answers by reading, but I have reached the point it is better to just ask for help from the people with experience. ;)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hi!

Good choice on the batteries, why not.

I can't speak about the Sense tank... 2ml would be frustrating to me. I don't even vape that much but once you get the power going - it's not very much juice.

Now - what tank are you talking about that comes with the mini VTC? It came with the old eGo one tank (a version of) and sometimes the Tron tank. I just bought the mod to be honest but have used the Cubis for a long time. Cubis only works for me with the 0.6ohm at about 14-16w. Other than that particular combo, it sucks with other coils and powers.

50/50 juice? Not sure. I vape lots of 50/50 but it's quite harsh as the power goes up.

I too have read and heard all sorts of theories about nicotine level. No two smokers are the same and I don't personally recommend lower e-juice strengths to people who smoke less but don't smoke 'lights'. I want to know what cigarettes they smoke. 15 smokes at 1mg nicotine is more nicotine than 20 smokes at 0.5mg nicotine. In the old days, most folk would probably go in on 24mg or 18mg.
In modern equipment, you can probably half those numbers. I tend to suggest 12mg at first to most people.
I knew one lady who was recommended 6mg (15 a day smoker) and was still smoking a year later.. (yup, well she had her mod set to 6.0 watts... no surprise).
If you want to start MTL and keep the watts real low (so as not to be overwhelmed) you could consider 18mg, sure.

Amikkwe

Dec 7, 2017
Indiana, USA
Hi!

Good choice on the batteries, why not.

I can't speak about the Sense tank... 2ml would be frustrating to me. I don't even vape that much but once you get the power going - it's not very much juice.

Now - what tank are you talking about that comes with the mini VTC? It came with the old eGo one tank (a version of) and sometimes the Tron tank. I just bought the mod to be honest but have used the Cubis for a long time. Cubis only works for me with the 0.6ohm at about 14-16w. Other than that particular combo, it sucks with other coils and powers.

50/50 juice? Not sure. I vape lots of 50/50 but it's quite harsh as the power goes up.

I too have read and heard all sorts of theories about nicotine level. No two smokers are the same and I don't personally recommend lower e-juice strengths to people who smoke less but don't smoke 'lights'. I want to know what cigarettes they smoke. 15 smokes at 1mg nicotine is more nicotine than 20 smokes at 0.5mg nicotine. In the old days, most folk would probably go in on 24mg or 18mg.
In modern equipment, you can probably half those numbers. I tend to suggest 12mg at first to most people.
I knew one lady who was recommended 6mg (15 a day smoker) and was still smoking a year later.. (yup, well she had her mod set to 6.0 watts... no surprise).
If you want to start MTL and keep the watts real low (so as not to be overwhelmed) you could consider 18mg, sure.
It has the ego one mega tank on the vtc mini that I purchased. As far as what I smoke, full flavor king size smokes a pack and a half to two packs a day for years. I definitely don't want to find myself trying to do the dual thing (smoking and vaping) I am very determined to get off these things the day I get my vape. Tired of the hacking and coughing, and breathing problems, and at 43 I am not getting any younger. I am also hoping to get the hubby interested at some point as he has copd and just won't give them up. So I do hope maybe in time he will see the benefits I get from getting off the cancer sticks, and be willing to try. If he does give up smoking it'll certainly be easier if I am not still smoking too. I have been smoking since I was 16 so 27 years of being a slave to these things, I am ready. Maybe I will get some juice in 18mg and 12mg both. I don't want to fail at this quitting thing, that is why I worry about not getting enough nic levels, but I also hear if it is too high for a newbie, it can cause a lot of coughing or throat irritation. Thanks for the advice.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Okay, when I introduced myself here Friday, I got a lot of good advice. I pulled the trigger and ended up ordering the Evic VTC Mini online. I had pretty much had that in mind to begin with after a lot of reading and youtube reviews, and after hearing good about it here, decided to buy it. As I said before my only previous vaping experience was a vision spinner gifted to me, but it just didn't have enough oomph in pretty short order and I just ended back on the cigs. But I digress, I decided I think I will go with the Efest Eluc V2 battery charger, and was thinking the LG HG2 18650 3000mAh 20A batteries.Sound right? Also, I have heard the tank that comes with the evic has leakage problems, and I think it is more of a subohm tank anyway. I am looking for more of a MTL higher resistance, low wattage type of vaping style tank. Would that be best as a new vaper? I want flavor but decent vapor production, Hopefully top fill. I have been seeing good things about the Sense Blazer Nano, wish it had a bigger tank than 2 ml, but everyone says it has good flavor, and decent vapor production, it is top fill. Looking for any input or suggestions. Probably be a couple of weeks before I get the rest of this stuff ordered as I have bills to pay, but that just gives me time for great input and research so I get the best outcome when the time comes. Also have a question about ejuice, where should I start 50/50 or what? And what would you guys recommend for just starting for nic level? I currently smoke 1 1/2 - 2 packs a day? It seems everyone has a different opinion on blogs and videos. I don't want to go too high and have massive coughing attacks and throat irritation, but I also don't want to feel like I am chain vaping, where I never set it down for a minute. Sorry for so much all in one thread, but I have already been researching all day for days, not afraid to try to find my answers by reading, but I have reached the point it is better to just ask for help from the people with experience. ;)

I think your Mod, Batteries, and Charger all sound like Great Choices. The Tank I have never used. But I haven't heard that it is Terrible or anything like that.

As to an the e-Liquid? That a Tough one. Because peoples Nicotine Needs can vary wildly when they quit. I think I would start at 12mg/ml and see how it goes.

As for a PG to VG Ratio. Hard to say also. 50|50 to me would be Way too Harsh. And I get that "Piece of Popcorn Stuck in the Back of Your Throat" type cough when I has used 50|50. I would start with a Higher VG. Maybe something like 70%VG | 30% PG. It might not have as Intense Flavor as 50|50. But (for Most People) it will be Smoother.

It's just going to take a Little Experimentation to find what works best for you. So I wouldn't Load Up on a lot of e-Liquid until you know what PG|VG ratio and mg/ml level you like.

Necrospecter

Dulce de Leche to rule them all
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2017
Fort Worth Texas
www.forsakengamingnation.com
Everyone seems to have you covered on advice with your mod so I will chime in with juice.
I know when I started I tried a 24 and ended up with 18 for nic 50/50 is good but I have since switched to 30PG/70VG and the flavor has not dropped at least not that I have noticed. My advice would be stay away from costly juice to start with if the shop you are ordering from has sample sizes go for that and use that to find what you need and what you like. Better to be out a few bucks than get stuck with something you can not use at all. Yes @bombastinator is right you can mess with it and get the nic where you want it but maybe I am too lazy for that (yes I know that is funny from someone who DIY juice)

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
On the EGO One tank, those are perfect for MTL. I use the 1.0 ohm CLR (R=rebuildable) coils in all of mine. I don't usually rebuild them...just use them like normal replaceable coils. Turn the airflow down to a small hole and vape at 7-10 watts. Your battery choice is great.

Amikkwe

Dec 7, 2017
Indiana, USA
On the EGO One tank, those are perfect for MTL. I use the 1.0 ohm CLR (R=rebuildable) coils in all of mine. I don't usually rebuild them...just use them like normal replaceable coils. Turn the airflow down to a small hole and vape at 7-10 watts. Your battery choice is great.
Do they leak like I heard though? Read a few reviews and watched some too, where there were people in the comments section saying they leaked.

Reactions: stols001

Amikkwe

Dec 7, 2017
Indiana, USA
Everyone seems to have you covered on advice with your mod so I will chime in with juice.
I know when I started I tried a 24 and ended up with 18 for nic 50/50 is good but I have since switched to 30PG/70VG and the flavor has not dropped at least not that I have noticed. My advice would be stay away from costly juice to start with if the shop you are ordering from has sample sizes go for that and use that to find what you need and what you like. Better to be out a few bucks than get stuck with something you can not use at all. Yes @bombastinator is right you can mess with it and get the nic where you want it but maybe I am too lazy for that (yes I know that is funny from someone who DIY juice)
That is a good idea, thanks for replying, I probably would have bought larger sizes trying to save money, but your right I wouldn't be saving money if I get a bunch of stuff it turns out I can't use. Think I will also go the 30/70 route since that is what I am hearing from all of you.

Amikkwe

Dec 7, 2017
Indiana, USA
imho i would go with the Aspire Nautilus or Aspire Nautilus 2 tank for that tight draw like a cig. and the flavor is very good, or get myself a t-18 from Innokin. also as far as nic. would get myself a Liq 50/50 with at least 12-18 mg.
Thanks for the info I will look at those.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Do they leak like I heard though? Read a few reviews and watched some too, where there were people in the comments section saying they leaked.

Not for me. Like any tanks you might get some condensation or just a blurp from the airhole on occasion (like once every tankful or two), but not a real leaking. I have 9 of different sizes, plus others that use the same coils (Tron, Amor, Egrip) and use them more than anything else. Also use Nautilus 2 and Kayfuns.

Necrospecter

Dulce de Leche to rule them all
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2017
Fort Worth Texas
www.forsakengamingnation.com
That is a good idea, thanks for replying, I probably would have bought larger sizes trying to save money, but your right I wouldn't be saving money if I get a bunch of stuff it turns out I can't use. Think I will also go the 30/70 route since that is what I am hearing from all of you.
No problem happy I helped. Now time to go be a smart @$$ someplace to balance out my good deed.

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
2 1/2 pack a day kool smoker. I started with a kanger evod at 24mg nic mixed 70/30 (pg/vg as that is how things were originally stated) I moved to an aspire nautilus because I had to refill the little tank several times a day or keep a spare on hand at all times. Those things were famous for leaking a drop or two at the 510 connectioni. Still using the same setup almost 4 years later, except nic is 12mg. I vape at 4 volts (provari started out only with voltage settings) with a 1.8Ω coil.
Sensitivity, or lack thereof, to VG or PG will determine your sweet spot. As suggested, a 50/50 mix is a good place to start.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'd recommend something like a nautilus 2, more adjustable, great MTL draw and choices in coils. It's a lot more adjustable.

I was a 3 ppd smoker and I MTL at 18 mg nicotine. You will find heavy smokers starting out around 12--24 nicotine though, so you'll have to decide what is best for you. You may try some small sample bottles in different strengths if you don't want to have to worry about mixing, you will quickly find the right nic for you.

If you are worried about harshness, you could try nicotine salts (they come as DIY but also in various flavors from different vendors, premixed. They are very smooth with little throat hit. That is what I use but I don't really want/need a throat hit, or harshness, my throat was pretty torn up by the time I got here.

Best of luck, and remember, you MAY not hit on your winning juice combination on the first try, but just keep at it and you will find the right strength for you. Good luck!!! :)

Anna

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
One consideration on PG/VG ratio is throat hit. Switching from tobacco cigarettes to vaping, most folks crave the throat hit they were getting from the nicotine in cigarettes. VG will mask the throat hit a bit so the higher the VG ratio the less throat hit.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Good choice on the Evic, charger, and batteries. :thumb:

I haven't read much about the tank. Most tanks have their little peculiarities, and once you do enough research and gain experience with them you can figure them out.

I have used the Authentic Aspire Nautilus BVC Clearomizer (5ml) and the Kabuki clone Kabuki Styled BCC Bottom Coil Clearomizer (both use the same coils). Both are very well thought of, have been around for a couple years (which is a lifetime in the vaping world). Both are most suited for the tighter draw of a mouth-to-lung beginner. Both vape the same, just styled differently. Only drawback from your viewpoint is that they are both bottom fill.

My favorite tank is the Uwell Crown (original) Authentic Uwell Crown Sub Ohm Tank Clearomizer . It is a sub-ohm tank, but you don't have to sub-ohm with it. It has 1.2 ohm coils available for it . It is an easy top fill (4ml capacity). It has a ratcheted air control ring which allows wide open direct lung draws down to a tight mouth-to-lung draw. It has a wide bore mouthpiece, but you can always replace it with any inexpensive small bore mouthpiece if you desire. Great flavor, a lot of vapor. Would look good on an Evic.

Finding an e-liquid that you enjoy might be the most difficult task for you. It may take some experimentation on your part to find what nic level best suits you and what flavor genre best suits you. What pg/vg ratio you use will not only depend upon your personal preferences, but also what tank you use. Some coils do not wick easily the harder you vape, so the thicker vg liquids might cause some "dry hits".

Try this as a starting point with nicotine:
1/2 pack per day or less = 6 mg nicotine
1 ppd = 12 mg
1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg
2 ppd = 24 mg
Flavor-wise, I recommend avoiding anything tobacco flavor. Flavoring agents are derived from food flavoring agents, and since there is no food which tastes like a smoking cigarette, ... Try to find a fruit, candy, desert, coffee, etc flavor that you like and you won't be wasting money trying to find a tobacco flavor.

Last edited:

lynn508

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
alabam
I love my vtc mini's I have 10 of them. Don't sweat your order. You will save money in the long run by buying separate batts and a charger. Once you have the equip the next step is the tank and juice. Both will take a while for you to find what works for you. The expense is coils and juice...if you start learning now you can get ahead of the game. Learn how to build simple coils first and haunt the diy juice forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread