Nose/nasal passage problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Abstract on the subject of diet sodas and hydration.
The Effect of Caffeinated, Non-Caffeinated, Caloric and Non-Caloric Beverages on Hydration

"This preliminary study found no significant differences in the effect of various combinations of beverages on hydration status of healthy adult males. Advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated by the results of this study. The across-treatment weight loss observed, when combined with data on fluid-disease relationships, suggests that optimal fluid intake may be higher than common recommendations. Further research is needed to confirm these results and to explore optimal fluid intake for healthy individuals."

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
How much water do you need?

"Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. For your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water.

So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.

Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8 ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8 ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.

Water: How much should you drink every day? - MayoClinic.com

If you are vaping, you should be drinking more than recommended above due to the hygroscopic nature of vaping e-liquid. How much? Who knows?

I'll check to see how much fluid I actually get over the next few days. It could be that I wasn't getting enough at six cans of cola, maybe five glasses of water plus the water in food, including soup once per day. Then again, there are plenty of other contributing factors (including what I vape) that I should consider before clearing this problem up for good.

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I just skimmed the responses, but are you exhaling through your nose? I would attempt to stop doing that before I tried nasal spray. It's more addictive than chap stick.
Yep. I'm off the nose exhale until things clear up. The nasal spray I'm using is simple saline solution. It's just water and a little salt. I'm using that for another day or so until the nose is back to normal. I'm not going to get addicted to it, the spray isn't that much fun to do.

Then again, maybe I should be careful with this stuff. Looks like it has a little more than water and salt. I worked in broadcasting for many years. One of my co-workers used to use this stuff every evening, ten minutes before going on the air. He smoked, too. Like clockwork at 5:20 p.m... shnurk, gurgle, shnurk, gurgle, followed by an extensive nose blowing and a close visual examination of the Kleenex.

003a-1.jpg

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
Yep. I'm off the nose exhale until things clear up. The nasal spray I'm using is simple saline solution. It's just water and a little salt. I'm using that for another day or so until the nose is back to normal. I'm not going to get addicted to it, the spray isn't that much fun to do.

Then again, maybe I should be careful with this stuff. Looks like it has a little more than water and salt. I worked in broadcasting for many years. One of my co-workers used to use this stuff every evening, ten minutes before going on the air. He smoked, too. Like clockwork at 5:20 p.m... shnurk, gurgle, shnurk, gurgle, followed by an extensive nose blowing and a close visual examination of the Kleenex.

003a-1.jpg

Pretty much the same stuff I use, just a different house brand.

Dauslyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2011
Vancouver, BC, Canada
How much water do you need?

"Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. For your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water.

So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.

Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8 ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8 ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.

Water: How much should you drink every day? - MayoClinic.com

If you are vaping, you should be drinking more than recommended above due to the hygroscopic nature of vaping e-liquid. How much? Who knows?

I'll check to see how much fluid I actually get over the next few days. It could be that I wasn't getting enough at six cans of cola, maybe five glasses of water plus the water in food, including soup once per day. Then again, there are plenty of other contributing factors (including what I vape) that I should consider before clearing this problem up for good.

Touché sir, touché.

NICnurse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Just a thought....could the red angry bumps in your nose be zits? I only ask this because on occasion I get 1 or 2 zits inside my nose. Usually close together. And they hurt like he-ll!! I think they are similar to the hard buried ones that spring up on your Face that never form a white head yet hurt like the dickens. I get the nose zits once in a while....and did before I vaped....and my husband gets them a few times a year yet he doesn't vape at all.

Just a different idea and perspective!

Ralikar

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2011
I actually blow my nose now and do NOT check for blood like when I was smoking.

lol. Caffeine and dehydration as you stated is soo overblown. I drink tons of coffee, but make it iced and real weak (Kava!!)--like 1-2 tsp in a huge mug. I finally had to explain like little children to some friends in the medical field that the enormous amount of water does not just disappear. Like if you drop 1 crystal of Kava in a gallon of water and drink it all, you will not pee out 1.1 gallons because of 1 Kava crystal. lol

If you are drinking espresso shots all day as your "water" then you will have some issues...

lol. Nice above responses :). lol Wishdog... I still don't care about health issues

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Just a thought....could the red angry bumps in your nose be zits? I only ask this because on occasion I get 1 or 2 zits inside my nose. Usually close together. And they hurt like he-ll!! I think they are similar to the hard buried ones that spring up on your Face that never form a white head yet hurt like the dickens. I get the nose zits once in a while....and did before I vaped....and my husband gets them a few times a year yet he doesn't vape at all.

Just a different idea and perspective!
This is a great idea. I never had this problem before though and I'm 59 years old. I don't pull hair from my nose which could be another possible cause of infection. Could this be like a case of quitter's zits? My very last cigarette was three months ago.

The bumps are still there. They are about one half the size as when I first noticed them on Tuesday afternoon. Most of the redness is gone.

Although I try my best to avoid exhaling through the nose sometimes a little gets through. Because vaping technique becomes so habitual I caught myself exhaling through the nose several times. It takes a conscious effort on my part to exhale quickly through the mouth every time I vape. I'm still vaping only 1/2 of the 2-3 ml I did before.

When I wake up in the morning the bumps are at minimal size. They will swell a bit during the day as I vape. If I go an hour without vaping they reduce in size. One bump is right next to the outside of the nostril so I can feel this one with a fingertip. I also feel a sharp itch along the edge of one lower eyelid after vaping a few minutes. I've noticed this many times before as I think about it.

I'm stalking the mailbox for the 100% VG juice.

Last edited:

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
This is a great idea. I never had this problem before though and I'm 59 years old. I don't pull hair from my nose which could be another possible cause of infection. Could this be like a case of quitter's zits? My very last cigarette was three months ago.

The bumps are still there. They are about one half the size as when I first noticed them on Tuesday afternoon. Most of the redness is gone.

Although I try my best to avoid exhaling through the nose sometimes a little gets through. Because vaping technique becomes so habitual I caught myself exhaling through the nose several times. It takes a conscious effort on my part to exhale quickly through the mouth every time I vape. I'm still vaping only 1/2 of the 2-3 ml I did before.

When I wake up in the morning the bumps are at minimal size. They will swell a bit during the day as I vape. If I go an hour without vaping they reduce in size. One bump is right next to the outside of the nostril so I can feel this one with a fingertip. I also feel a sharp itch along the edge of one lower eyelid after vaping a few minutes. I've noticed this many times before as I think about it.

I'm stalking the mailbox for the 100% VG juice.

If you're pulling hairs from your nose, it's possible you're getting an ingrown hair where that hair's root was.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
OK, we may have some resolution to this issue.

After getting home I took a very close look at the affected nostril using a flashlight and mirror in a darkened room. Two of the bumps seemed to be clearing up on their own. The worst of these (and the most painful) had a white head. This wasn't there the last time I looked.

I moistened the nostril with saline spray over a ten minute period. I then moistened a clean Q-Tip with saline and gently rubbed the white head area with the cotton swab. The thin skin broke immediately. There was a little pus and a hardened white core the size of a fine grain of sand. I put a little triple antibiotic ointment on another clean Q-Tip and treated this area and the remaining red bumps. Maybe these other zits had broken and drained already and I just didn't know about it.

Like I say, I've never experienced this before. One online source said that these zits can be triggered by allergies or by excessive dryness in the nostril. Either of these causes may apply here.

Hope I'm getting to the bottom of this. Thanks for the great suggestions. The zit and ingrown hair comments made me look into this a little more closely.

Here is link to a PDF. Nice to have if you get nose problems.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nosecare.com%2Fwebdocuments%2FNasal-Hygiene-Info-Sheet.pdf&ei=4xcTUKWgB8mfrAHNxYHgCA&usg=AFQjCNGPClRyGNpZLq7zBBihiKKEst8kXA&sig2=xiiRigrkmRfyju8ZxRwVLg

I found the nose care PDF here:
http://www.nosecare.com/

Last edited:

NICnurse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Well yay for finding a white head!! Lol I know that sounds really weird, but at least you can let them drain when you get a head on them. Those unground diggers that never get a head are just the worst!!

Your follow ups made me think of something too......my husband gets these zits way more than me....and realized he plucks his nose hairs too!!! I am thinking that may be what is causing this for him as well! Thanks for the trouble shooting on this as it led me to a "lightbulb moment" with the crazy nose hair plucker I live with. LoL!!

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I can HEARTILY suggest using a Neti-pot for any sinus, throat, etc. issues. I have never had a sinus infection or sore throat in 15 years since using one. Before that, I did. It's almost like a miracle.

In far eastern countries, many use a neti pot as part of their daily hygiene, just like you would wash your face, or brush your teeth, you are cleaning the passages of your nose (which takes in and screens a TON of stuff all day!) and sinuses just as a matter of course.

I highly recommend.

I just skimmed the responses, but are you exhaling through your nose? I would attempt to stop doing that before I tried nasal spray. It's more addictive than chap stick.

Miira, I was going to mention the addictiveness stuff, til I saw the product Hawkeye pictured earlier......it was only 100% saline spray, no drugs in it. That kind is safe. You are correct, the other kind will actually increase problems over time. Not recommended for more than 5 days straight at MOST.

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
On Saturday I woke up to find a nasty case of pink eye on my right eye. I caught bacterial pink eye a couple of times when the kids were small. Come to think of it I used to get when I was a kid, too. Bacterial pink eye is usually accompanied by a light colored, thick discharge. This case doesn't have any thick discharge so I think it's allergic pink-eye. It's clearing up a lot as of today.

I received the new juice from Xtreme Vaping yesterday afternoon. I ordered two bottles of 25 mg unflavored base. XTV base liquid is said to be among the very best available: US pharma grade ingredients only. I have 50/50 PG/VG and 100% VG.

I mixed up a trial vial with the 100% VG and have been vaping it since last evening. It's 20 mg mixed down with CVS Glycerine USP and a little distilled water. My juice is thicker than what I was using before but it soaked into the Smoktech LR XL carto filler very well. Lots of vapor.

This unflavored juice is pretty tasteless when exhaled through the mouth. Exhale through the nose and it has a slight, but pleasant taste. I'll be watching during the next couple of days to see if the swollen sinuses alongside the nose and under the eyes clear up. I'm also curious to see how the carto holds up compared with the previous PG juices I've used.

The problems in the right nostril have cleared up completely.

Last edited:

rolbyroland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Romania
Does anyone have problems with snoring? since I switched to electric cigarette I snore like a pig. :) I just went through surgery deviated septum and "cornetectomie" (I do not know the term in English), now I wait my nose to heal and see if the problem persists.

So snoring has anything to do with electric cigarette?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread