Nosebleeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
My pee isn't dark yellow, only when I first wake up. For the majority of my day it remains clear with a very slight noticeable tint of yeller. TMI? Oops. ;3

Not really. We're trying to help and your information is necessary. I don't live near salt water, if you do there could be weather patterns that are especially bad this year. The colder the air, the less moisture it holds. Especially cold winters are going to dry out everything. Just dip a finger in Vaseline and coat your nostrils before bed and run the hell out of your humidifiers. You want the air mid 50 to mid 60%. Anything below will be drying, anything above can produce mold. :)

wildxcard

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2014
Massachusetts
Not really. We're trying to help and your information is necessary. I don't live near salt water, if you do there could be weather patterns that are especially bad this year. The colder the air, the less moisture it holds. Especially cold winters are going to dry out everything. Just dip a finger in Vaseline and coat your nostrils before bed and run the hell out of your humidifiers. You want the air mid 50 to mid 60%. Anything below will be drying, anything above can produce mold. :)

My mom gets them too during this time of year but hers are particularly bad because of the weather. So bad in fact, she went to the doctors about it and they said the same about the humidifiers. I just wanted to make sure that if I kept vaping, I wouldn't have an aneurism or something. Lol. I've been fine up until today, but last night I went out to get coffee and it was 10 degrees out. I'm just going to treat it as if it's a mixture of both. Stick my finger up my nose and drink lots of water until it passes.

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
My mom gets them too during this time of year but hers are particularly bad because of the weather. So bad in fact, she went to the doctors about it and they said the same about the humidifiers. I just wanted to make sure that if I kept vaping, I wouldn't have an aneurism or something. Lol. I've been fine up until today, but last night I went out to get coffee and it was 10 degrees out. I'm just going to treat it as if it's a mixture of both. Stick my finger up my nose and drink lots of water until it passes.

I know it's just anecdotal, but after all the crap lodged and locked into my lungs from smoking cleared out, I felt great. A year later, I feel better than ever. Whatever you decide, I hope it's an improvement for you. :)

wildxcard

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2014
Massachusetts
I know it's just anecdotal, but after all the crap lodged and locked into my lungs from smoking cleared out, I felt great. A year later, I feel better than ever. Whatever you decide, I hope it's an improvement for you. :)

It has been, minus the new onset of nosebleeds. I like vaping 100x better, but the upkeep is still kind of a pain.

Legolas

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2014
In the slower lower ... Delaware
It has been, minus the new onset of nosebleeds. I like vaping 100x better, but the upkeep is still kind of a pain.

You will streamline the upkeep time as you go. It takes less time per day to upkeep then it did running to the store for smokes. Congrats on making the change

spikezone2004

Jan 29, 2014
Las Vegas
i read a article yesturday about vaping and dry mouth. It said how the vape because it is water vape it absorbs water from your mouth when you inhale/exhale so i assume it is the same for your nose it is absorbing the moisture in your nose and drying it giving you a nose bleed.

I had a nose bleed my first 2-3 weeks of vaping i havent had one since because i started drinking more water. I was getting lazy and not drinking enough and i could feel it in my throat.

The article i read was interesting talking about vapor tongue and how to fix it and such, wrote my MBV

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN

to add to the bolded, because it really is important if you want to understand...

specific humidity in the air is measured in grains per pound. colder air can hold less grains of water per pound of air because it takes up less space. thus there's less space between air molecules to hold liquid.

this brings us to relative humidity. relative humidity is the percent of water that is in the air in comparison to the total volume that the air can hold at that temperature.

this brings us to dew point. the dew point is the temperature at which a particular volume of air at a certain humidity will reach over 100% relative humidity and has to precipitate due to contraction. the air can no longer hold all the water and some releases. usually on a cold surface.

THE POINT. let's say it's 30% relative humidity at 40°F outside and you keep your house at 70°F.

if you take a look at a psychrometric chart, you'll see that your house would heat that 40°F air to a point where it's only holding about 10% to 12% humidity relative to it's dew point.

unless it's precipitating outside on a day when you need a jacket to go outside during the colder months, it's probably best to sleep with a humidifier or vaporizer near your bed. no matter how much liquids you take in during the day, there's still a chance that you can dehydrate over night in winter conditions. especially in colder or dryer climates.

EDIT: whenever you experience dry mucous and/or nose bleeds in the morning, i would immediately start humidifying the room you sleep in.

Mark Anthony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2013
Scranton, Pa USA
I'm three weeks without a cigarette and into vaping. This morning I woke up and noticed I was getting a nose bleed and its been on and off throughout the day. I literally haven't had one since I was 12 or something. IS this normal or something I should worry about? I have been exhaling through my nostrils, out of bad habit.. but I have also been drinking fluids throughout the day as well.

Thanks!

My guess would be it is the vapor drying out your nose causing the bleeding. Just like vaping dries out your mouth it will dry out your nose.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
You want the air mid 50 to mid 60%. Anything below will be drying, anything above can produce mold. :)

i was taught 40% to 60% when i was in drying classes for flood restoration. anything below 30% throughout the entire structure or in occupied areas and you really want to urge the residents to leave the home during drying.

i wouldn't press for over 60% either, because cold/dark cavities exist behind walls in every home. these areas will invariably have a higher RH and are perfect breeding zones that cannot be seen.

My guess would be it is the vapor drying out your nose causing the bleeding. Just like vaping dries out your mouth it will dry out your nose.

obviously vapor is going to be a contributing factor. however, 10% relative humidity in a home can cause this in a few hours for most people. a couple days of RH at that level and entire families will have dry, cracked, bleeding membranes in their noses.

i suspect the vapor is just contributing to lower moisture levels during the day and the night time RH given the lower outside temperatures and the heat in the home staying on longer during each cycle is the real culprit. the fact that it hasn't happened to the OP in years suggests that she's adjusted well to it, but was never really too far off for the entirety of a winter season. the vapor would be the straw that broke the camels back so to say.

Last edited:

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I used to get nose bleeds a LOT! I mean, a lot! Some real squirters too. It was like a fire hose opened up. At first, I thought it was the vaping but then again, I was a competitive nose picker at the time. I was naturally good at it. I could get a whole pinky finger in up in there to the knuckle! Unlike a lot of sports, I could practice just about anywhere, in the car or at church. I figured the nose bleeds were just the cost of being an athlete - you know, sort of like tennis elbow or runners knees. I had pickers nose. But then one day it dawned on me that athletes were supposed to get girls. I wasn't getting any girls! Finally my cousin told me girls don't like nose pickers, the same way they don't like marching band geeks or guys in the A/V club. I was bummed but after a long hard pick n think, I decided it was time to give my nose a rest and holster the pinky. While my days of dreaming of olympic gold were sadly over, I got girls. Now I only pick in private and dream about what could have been. sigh

But to me, it sounds like your case is a combination of weather and hydration.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I'm in MA too and with the extreme low temps we have had it's been insanely dry this winter. Hell, I can give someone a static zap by running my shoes over a bare wood floor even - no carpet required.

I'm betting it was a combination of "poop happens", vaping out your nose and drying things out, and it's... bone dry in these parts. Now get your finger out of your nose, roll up a small nose hole shaped wadding of unscented TP or tissue or sterile gauze, shove that up there and leave it alone for about 20 minutes so things have a chance to clot.

I had one minor nosebleed this winter. I put it under the category of "poop happens."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread