Not that it happened, but how it happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabooma

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Eastern PA
Hey all,
This is probably just a venting, but it really got my blood pressure up so I'm going to let it out.

I vape at work, in my office. I am an executive level employee, and none of my superiors have an issue with it. I personally believe it's 100% safe. I'm not a cloud chaser, or d-bag who blows it in people's faces or anything. I generally keep it in my own personal space.

There was a conference call where an employee chose to sit in my office instead of dialing in from their cube, because I can close the door and use speakerphone. After the call, which was only about 15 minutes, I get an email from that employee, here's basically what they said:

"First off, I do not want to debate you about this- I know you believe that vaping is safe, but I do not, and don't want to have a discussion about it. I would like to ask that when I'm in your office, that you respect my position and not vape around me because I believe it's dangerous and harmful to my health. Respect MY choices and don't vape when I'm in your office".

My first thought was that this person, who is so concerned about their health, might want to consider that their incredible obesity might be a far more immediate health concern than 15 minutes of minor second-hand vapor.. but of course, as a company figurehead, I had to be civil and replied that I respect her wishes and will not do it around her, period. I assured her that it was simply a habitual mistake and was as friendly about it as humanly possible. I got no response and now, when I say hello in the morning or whatever, she just scowls at me and says nothing. WTF?

I know there's a lot of negative propaganda out there about vaping and vapers, and that people like her believe all of it, but my god.. seriously girl.. if you are THAT concerned about your health, I suggest you lay off the pringles and ice-cream FIRST, as I'm concerned about her health causing our group health policy to have higher prices to deal with her being obese.

Ok, rant done.

Kabooma

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Eastern PA
Nope she works in a different department.. and that was part of the rub.. in the 1.2 years she's been here, that was the first time a cross-department conf call needed to happen with the two of us, and wasn't likely going to happen more than once a year or two thereafter.. so the need for an immediate email was non-existent, which just added to the blood-boiling part of my rant.

She's generally an abrasive person who I don't care for to begin with, but that's a whole other rant- lol. I just don't want to give her any ammo to go complain to HR and make a thing about it, and then lose my (assumed) privilege to vape in my office because some d-bag employee has an axe to grind.

Reactions: EBates

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Your "house", your rules, Kabooma. From what you've told us, I believe she is what is known as a "bully" and will continue to throw her "weight" around wherever and whenever she can get away with it. Do not bother to greet her in the morning and she can take part in conference calls somewhere else.......Actually, I wouldn't allow her in my office at all......Want to keep my chairs intact. Ha! :)

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
Actually, its about her inappropriate reply. It shows all lack of respect.
I certainly would never have lit up a smoke in a closed room with someone else unless they explicitly told me it was alright.

Seems respect was lacking from both sides. Interesting that an "executive level" employee came here to rant about this woman's weight. Sounds like a great place to work... :unsure:

Kabooma

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Eastern PA
I certainly would never have lit up a smoke in a closed room with someone else unless they explicitly told me it was alright.

Seems respect was lacking from both sides. Interesting that an "executive level" employee came here to rant about this woman's weight. Sounds like a great place to work... :unsure:

No of course I didn[t come here to rant about her weight- a couple of people got my point- that it wasn't tht she brought it up, but how she handled it. Her email was arrogant and unprofessional, and now I will be my own devil's advocate, because apparently I vaped without thinking about it in a closed space with her in it, so yes, I'm very much to blame in this, however, if her email was more pleasant or at least more professional, this topic wouldn't exist.

About her weight; it was simply my point that her "health" argument is really a ruse, because if she were truly concerned about her health, she would be doing something about her weight problem. Just sayin..!

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Lemme see now.....In your first post you did state vaping in "your" ofc was fine by your superiors. Check.

In your second post you stated that this complaining person was in a different dept. entirely so NOT a subordinate and NOT even a coworker. Check.

Whew! Just checking to see if I read throughly your info and got it straight......before I made a comment. :)

Reactions: inspects

milandjikic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
I don't think this is irrational rant.
People are afraid of what they don't understand, and i get that. But if you don't understand something, then try to understand and maybe you won't be afraid so much.
There is a point with overweight people ranting against vaping. It's easy to point out at someone else instead of looking at the mirror first and check your problems.
But unfortunately the world is a stupid place, full of stupid and close minded people that believe all they read in a newspapers or see on the tv, and there's not much anyone can do.

Sir Kadly

Tootle Wompin' Squonkaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2015
    Michiana
    I'm actually a bit surprised that no one has commented on this yet, but I think that the most inappropriate part of this whole thing is that she sent an email, after the fact. There are only 2 correct ways for her to broach the subject with Kabooma. Option 1 is to politely bring it up at the time. Option 2 is to never broach the subject. That's it.

MMW

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 8, 2015
    NH
    5zh6dl.jpg

bwh79

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon
    I vape at work, in my office. I am an executive level employee, and none of my superiors have an issue with it. I personally believe it's 100% safe.
    Then you're a fool. It may be, yes, and probably is, yes, orders of magnitude safe-er than combustible tobacco cigarettes, but if you believe there is absolutely no risk of any harm whatsoever, not even the possibility of such a risk, then you, sir, have got your head in the sand.

Calling it "100% safe" is not a claim we can make about vaping. Not yet, anyway, and likely not ever. {Moderated}, and if someone is not comfortable with you vaping near them in an enclosed space, don't do it. It's common courtesy, if nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2015
    Santee,San Diego
    Then you're a fool. It may be, yes, and probably is, yes, orders of magnitude safe-er than combustible tobacco cigarettes, but if you believe there is absolutely no risk of any harm whatsoever, not even the possibility of such a risk, then you, sir, have got your head in the sand.

Calling it "100% safe" is not a claim we can make about vaping. Not yet, anyway, and likely not ever. {Moderated}, and if someone is not comfortable with you vaping near them in an enclosed space, don't do it. It's common courtesy, if nothing else.
    You know how 2 people can read the same thing & understand it completely different? Was about to blow you up because I read "Safer"! Now all I can say after rereading the OP is +1 on what @bwh79 said!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: YoursTruli
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread