Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
NY May Pull E-Cigs Out Of Kids' Reach

"It's not for adults," she said. "It's for children and it gets them hooked on nicotine and cigarettes ...
This bill will prevent a lifetime of cigarette smoking in young people and teens by prohibiting them
from using this gateway device."
Linda Rosenthal

BS-Meter.gif

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
This should have been posted on the legislative news thread on the NY state legislation.

Regardless, Rosenthal and Sciandra both lied in this article by claiming they led the campaign to ban e-cig sales to minors.
In fact, they both campaigned to ban e-cig sales to adults in 2010 and 2011, which we defeated.

They only endorsed legislation to ban sales to minors in 2012 because we defeated their prohibition bills.

And of course, they both know that e-cigarettes aren't marketed to youth, or used by youth.

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
That was some of the worst quotes of BS I have ever read. I dunno about you, but I like flavors other then menthol (which I don't like) and tobacco flavor... and on and on... I won't register to make a comment, but OMG someone needs to set the record straight, pure political agenda BS. As far as not selling to minors, well I actually agree with that, but last time I checked, most kids are more into acquiring alcohol, smokes and "other" substances for their fun.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
My comment begins:

Linda Rosenthal has the hundreds of e-cigarette users to thank, who wrote to members of the Rules Committee, urging them to pass her version of the bill. Now we would thank Ms. Rosenthal to stop libeling the products and the product vendors.

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
What a joke. This woman is so adamant that the FDA is right about e-cigs that she's willing to dismiss a federal court case (which the FDA lost) and to put forth some bogus evidence about e-cigs containing antifreeze and other toxic chemicals. She also implies that e-cigs serve as a gateway to analog cigs. I've been vaping for almost 2 months, and I'm not addicted. I can go days or weeks without a puff. She blames the e-cig manufacturers for there not being an independent study on the safety of e-cigs. I've really had it with these ignorant politicians.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I love this statement.....

"Because of poor quality control in their manufacture, there are many unknowns about e-cigarettes," Sciandra said. "Among our many concerns is that some e-cigarettes have been shown to contain cancer-causing ingredients, like toxic chemicals and anti-freeze, substances to which kids should not be exposed."

And exactly what does Scaindra think is in cigarettes? Yet they're legal?

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Rosenthal- I think we might be able to get enough concerned vaper/retailers together to court order an injunction concerning some of her statements. This would make great head-line news too and give e-cigs even more exposure. Of course we would have to be ready for the media's twists....

What do you think of this- actually taking the offensive and force court action? How would one begin something like this and/or is there such a move at the present?

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
This woman needs to be put to a cold shower and woken up, I say we get her all the worst publicity we can, AND FAST, there must be a way to fight these politicians with fire and use there own tactics right back on them. It would be super to put a private eye on her and watch every move she makes and catch up to her private life and catch her doing something wrong and be able to have it make the headlines. :)

Last edited:

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
Rosenthal- I think we might be able to get enough concerned vaper/retailers together to court order an injunction concerning some of her statements. This would make great head-line news too and give e-cigs even more exposure. Of course we would have to be ready for the media's twists....

What do you think of this- actually taking the offensive and force court action? How would one begin something like this and/or is there such a move at the present?

If this is possible, I'm in!

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
Had to register to reply... mine starts with this....

"E-cigarettes are potentially dangerous because we don't know how much nicotine is in there, it's unregulated," Rosenthal said. "We don't know how many chemicals there are, and they are addictive."

Actually, we do know. I know that there is 12mg of nicotine in the juice I'm vaping because I buy it from a US based company. I can also mix my own and know exactly what's in there. How many "chemicals"? Well, PG &VG, nicotine, and my flavoring. How many chemicals are there when a cigarette burns? Over 4,000 have been identified, and there are more than that.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Possibly Linda Rosenthal got some of her twisted ideas from
one of our own marketers.

While surfing e-cigs on YouTube...
I ran across this interesting video. Well, it really got interesting
at 11:20 when the marketer started his embarrassing FDA "suck-up"
and professed the company believes flavors are marketed to kids.

"Flavors attract minors to the concept which one day could
potentially create traditional tobacco smokers..."

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Petrodus: If his company doesn't offer flavors, he may be seeing some of his original customers jumping ship once they learn from another vaper how pleasant it is to stop tasting tobacco and how switching to a flavor helps to extinguish any lingering urges to light up.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I posted a comment. What makes me really angry is the unequivocal way in which she state that flavors get kids hooked. With all their posturing that 'we don't really know what's in them' and 'we don't know if they are safe' and 'we have no proof that they help people quit' and 'there's not enough research to say this and that'. Well guess what?!? There is absolutely NO research that these things are enticing kids. And there is NO evidence that these are a gateway to cigarettes. None as far as I'm aware. These are all conjectures, and are not backed up in any way whatsoever.

Her statement that 'if we keep just one kid from becoming a smoker.' What about all the adults who have tried and tried to quit. How about 'if we could get even 1000 smokers to switch to e-cigs we could save 100s of lives.' Idiot logic. #%€$

Carto-Miser

Verified Member
May 22, 2012
New York
So many annoying statements in that article. Particularly that e-cigs would be a "gateway drug" to analogs. They're a gateway from analogs! What kind of a nut would start smoking e-cigs (which already shows their desire to avoid analog cigarettes) , stick with it for awhile, and then say "now I'm ready for the real thing!"?!

Also the statement that flavors are definitely made for kids, not adults. Huh?! Adults don't like the taste of chocolate?

..Plus, how can you possibly argue to make something illegal because it could be a gateway drug to doing something that's...LEGAL?! :confused:

Last edited:

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I posted a comment. What makes me really angry is the unequivocal way in which she state that flavors get kids hooked. With all their posturing that 'we don't really know what's in them' and 'we don't know if they are safe' and 'we have no proof that they help people quit' and 'there's not enough research to say this and that'. Well guess what?!? There is absolutely NO research that these things are enticing kids. And there is NO evidence that these are a gateway to cigarettes. None as far as I'm aware. These are all conjectures, and are not backed up in any way whatsoever.

Her statement that 'if we keep just one kid from becoming a smoker.' What about all the adults who have tried and tried to quit. How about 'if we could get even 1000 smokers to switch to e-cigs we could save 100s of lives.' Idiot logic. #%€$
Well put (Applause!!).
Okay- ship is sinking- (let's say that Rosenthal is right- though we know she isn't).... using her logic- One kid will drown and die....but there are thousands of adults on the other side of the ship who will also drown and die. Your ability and equipment can only save folks from one side of the ship-
1. Save the child and let thousands of adults drown.
2. Save the thousands of adults for the sacrifice of one child.

Of course in the Real Vaping World that we live in- these choices are absurd.... We have a way of saving both the child and the adults....and to keep the entire ship from sinking... Once again, what are these ANTZ thinking- I believe in Karma- what goes around comes around....than folks like the crazy lady will have it coming to her- probably most likely sooner than later- Just wait until she is exposed to the world for what she truly is.... (okay, rant over!)...

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I still think there's a way to take the offensive.
I agree that if you followed her around, you can probably dig up dirt on her to disqualify her from any public life.
However, I would much rather see this happen in relation to her anti-stance against e-cigs. I would much rather her be seen disqualified because of her misinformation and lying in regards to e-cigs... If that would happen, it would help our cause a lot more than her to be taken out of public office because of something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread