Obsessed with building..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatestUnKnown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Bay Area CA.
I have been vaping since November, got my mech and a couple RDAs just over a week ago, picked up some new Kanthal spools, then bought some new e-liquid.

With every step I have not stopped building coils. Coils perform awesome I have only had a few that were lack luster ie: less vapor more flavor or more vapor muted flavor.
Built traditional coils with EkoWool, micro coils with cotton, nano coils with cotton, dragon coils with cotton, and combinations of coils for dual setups..etc. Although even with stellar builds I cant stop removing the coils and starting a new build to either try something new or perfect on what I had installed previously.

So far I have determined that for my dual coil setups I prefer the 28ga micro coil with cotton, single coils are 30ga micro with cotton and for my bottom coil clearos I switch between EkoWool and cotton based on the juice and its wicking properties.

I may have even just sabotaged myself after building a nice warm dual coil setup that came out to 0.8ohms when I pulled the cap off and gave it a couple pulses and ended up burning the cotton before I knew it. rather than just simply replace the wick I quickly grabbed my tools and ripped that coil free forcing myself to build yet another setup.

I don't know if I have posted this in the correct section but I think I may just be obsessed with building new coils.

DSC_0028.jpg

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I'm finding this to be the "norm" nowadays for a lot of people getting into rebuilding. After a short period, and a few dollars, you will find that one coil that you build and it will stay on your device for a month or so before trying something different. It is nice to just have to change out the cotton only on a build and not the coil every time...

rdwilliamson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2011
Kansas
Personally, I'm trying to stop before my wife divorces me. My time spent rebuilding a particular tank setup has become an issue in my household. I always seem to think I can make it just that small bit better.

She's at work today. I think I built a nice one. ;)

LMAO!!!!

Me too! I love it. Spent the morning with my AGA-T+

GreatestUnKnown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Bay Area CA.
Personally, I'm trying to stop before my wife divorces me. My time spent rebuilding a particular tank setup has become an issue in my household. I always seem to think I can make it just that small bit better.

Has not become an issue as of now, but I could see it becoming one if I don't slow down and just enjoy some builds for longer. The one plus I have in my corner is new build tends to accompany a new juice and we have similar tastes when it comes to what we like to vape.

When the wife is at work is when I try to get most of my coil building or research done but when she becomes absorbed with her phone or wants to watch things like TMZ or Dish Nation I choose to not partake and just grab a bottle and drip away.

alkaiser

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
Orange County, CA
www.sjchon.com

haha my girlfriend gets annoyed at me as well with all the tinkering i do with my setups and rebuilds.

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
Yeah I do the same thing except its worse because I have multiple wicking materials and wire gauges. I have 500 SS mesh, 7X7 2mm SS wire rope, XC-116, XC-132, 2mm silica, 2mm ekowool, sterile rolled cotton, and peaches and cream yarn. I have 32 Ga kanthal, 30, 28,24, and pre braided strands of 32 Ga. Here's a tip, if you can afford to get 2 of each of your cheaper devices, then do it. One can be a build you know works great and you wish to keep, while the other can be the one you take apart when you have the itch. My parents have jokingly asked me if I was tweaking and I replied, "I'm putting things together not taking them apart".:D

For drippers I prefer my trident clone with the AFC sanded down and the air hole bored out to 1/8". I use an 1/8" bit and do a 6 wrap of 24 Gauge kanthal with touching wraps. I then connect it, twist a piece of XC-116 through it, and push a blunt tip needle through the center of the XC-116. Seems to put off vapor somewhat similar to a dragon because vapor shoots from the coil toward you and from both sides. I just dry burn it for a week or 2 and then I'll pull the ceramic out, torch it white, pulse the coils, and twist it right back in.

For my Russian I currently prefer a hybrid wick. I take a strand of XC-132 and wrap a long narrow strip of mesh around it, juice burn it, connect it, and pulse it to make sure there are no hot spots. Its been a while since I've taken it apart so I'm not 100 percent on what I wrapped it with, but I think it's braided 30 Gauge at .6 ohms. I then put the chimney section on and stuff a very small loose piece of rolled cotton near the juice intake on either side as a juice reserve to keep the flavor on point.

For genesis atomizers I prefer wire rope/mesh with 24 Ga kanthal, hits like a dripper.

Ray Lopez

ECF Veteran
I have been vaping since November, got my mech and a couple RDAs just over a week ago, picked up some new Kanthal spools, then bought some new e-liquid.

With every step I have not stopped building coils. Coils perform awesome I have only had a few that were lack luster ie: less vapor more flavor or more vapor muted flavor.
Built traditional coils with EkoWool, micro coils with cotton, nano coils with cotton, dragon coils with cotton, and combinations of coils for dual setups..etc. Although even with stellar builds I cant stop removing the coils and starting a new build to either try something new or perfect on what I had installed previously.

So far I have determined that for my dual coil setups I prefer the 28ga micro coil with cotton, single coils are 30ga micro with cotton and for my bottom coil clearos I switch between EkoWool and cotton based on the juice and its wicking properties.

I may have even just sabotaged myself after building a nice warm dual coil setup that came out to 0.8ohms when I pulled the cap off and gave it a couple pulses and ended up burning the cotton before I knew it. rather than just simply replace the wick I quickly grabbed my tools and ripped that coil free forcing myself to build yet another setup.

I don't know if I have posted this in the correct section but I think I may just be obsessed with building new coils.

DSC_0028.jpg

I feel ya. I am always in search of a new style of coil. I love the build, I find myself rebuilding almost daily and it's been this way for months. I also have friends drop off attys for me to rebuild. I try to build everything with cotton. I'm addicted to the build!!!!!!!

illitirit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
United States
ur picture looks exactly like my desk lol. same torch, same micro screwdrivers, nemesis lol. I guess its all in search of that perfect vape!

Recently i have began to not really care as much. As long as my kayfuns are working great, i dont see a need anymore to rebuild every 2 days like before.

I will say though that maybe the kayfuns made me lazy. When i was dripping, i was tearing apart my coils everyday. With kayfuns everything just seems to work.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
ur picture looks exactly like my desk lol. same torch, same micro screwdrivers, nemesis lol. I guess its all in search of that perfect vape!

Recently i have began to not really care as much. As long as my kayfuns are working great, i dont see a need anymore to rebuild every 2 days like before.

I will say though that maybe the kayfuns made me lazy. When i was dripping, i was tearing apart my coils everyday. With kayfuns everything just seems to work.

I had an immortaclone for awhile that I thought vaped just as good as my funalikes but not a bit better. I'm also pretty much back to a simple single coil, wicked with cheese cloth.

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
After a week of frequent rebuilds I just had to stop...now I just dry burn and rewick my 1.5mm/28awg/9 wrap/1.3ohm cotton micro coil, the differences in performance were so subtle it felt like a waste of time. This is my final build....the biggest difference between this one and all the others...the wick tails loop back up, coming to rest on either side of the coil...great flavor and way thicker vapor, KFL+

Last edited:

illitirit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
United States
After a week of frequent rebuilds I just had to stop...now I just dry burn and rewick my 1.5mm/28awg/9 wrap/1.3ohm cotton micro coil, the differences in performance were so subtle it felt like a waste of time. This is my final build....the biggest difference between this one and all the others...the wick tails loop back up, coming to rest on either side of the coil...great flavor and way thicker vapor, KFL+

that is very interesting, im going to have to try that. What size drill bit did you use to wrap your coil?

edit : whoops im ......ed....1.5mm didnt see it till now haha

Annie56

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
I am beginning to think that I am suffering from some coil-building mental illness...I am trying to settle on an ADV coil-build on devices that I can use all day, then tinker and experiment maybe with my little Aga S's. Your workbench looks like my dresser--pliers, multimeter and ohm checkers, ego batteries and little spots of dried up e juice. The parrot that I keep sits on her perch while I work, and screams whenever I happen to pop a coil...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread