Oconomowoc Ban Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
The vote tied at 3-3. "The change to the city's existing ordinance that bans tobacco products would expand under the revised ordinance to include nicotine products, such as e-cigs. The state law in 2012 banned the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors. An ordinance requires three official readings before it can be ratified into law."
Oconomowoc council votes down early revision of school e-cig ban
Public property is paid for by all of the people, including smokers, and the fanatics should NOT be allowed to appropriate it to use as a weapon in their war of cultural genocide against us.
As for us (smokers and clear-thinking vapers), we shouldn't merely be reacting to things like this. We need to start challenging their monopoly over the curriculum, and demand inclusion of education about how the health fascists commit scientific fraud - falsely blaming peoples' lifestyles for diseases that are really caused by infection.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
So they don't want high school kids to use e-cigs on school property. The horrors...

They did not want anyone of legal age using any form of nicotine on school property, even going so far as:
"I think the ordinance probably goes too far based on what we were told, which is what it's supposed to do," he said. "If kids are smoking e-cigarettes inside the classroom that seems to me to be a different problem than someone deciding to chew a piece of nicotine gum while watching a football game," he added, referring to language in the ordinance that bans "chewing of any nicotine product ... inside any building owned or used by a public school."

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
54361594.jpg

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
So the law is ok, as long as nicotine gum is excluded? Should students and teachers be able to smoke or vape on school property?

I think in this particular instance the law is OK as it stands and also if the proposed changes are made.
Having familiarized myself with current youth vaping culture I can well understand the
intent to keep kids from having cloud blowing competitions in school.

I also think that one should not smoke in school or use nicotine in any manner
unless it is medically prescribed and there exists a medical necessity to use it while in school.
That includes gum.
The police officer raises the issue that though he agrees with the law his officers wouldn't be checking gum.
However, gum chewing is against the rules of most schools that I know of.
So checking gum should be part of the job if necessary.

There is no reason for anybody, student, teacher, or other faculty or staff member to be under
the influence of any stimulant which could affect his or health or behavior
while at school and around our children.
That includes coffee.

Regards,
Hazy

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
There is no reason for anybody, student, teacher, or other faculty or staff member to be under
That includes coffee.

And soda?
And candy / sugary substances?
And music (the modern kind with beats and fast rhythms)?

Need I go on?

You say "no reason."

I can provide reasons. Easy. I'm sure you could too. But you present it like there can be no discussion which just makes it (for kids) all about, "do this, but don't get caught."

Like saying, "there is no reason for anyone driving on a highway to go over the speed limit."

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
<snipped in spots>
I also think that one should not smoke in school or use nicotine in any manner

That includes coffee.

Why should one not smoke in school or use nicotine in any manner?

That last paragraph is utter nonsense.. coffee, could affect, our children, good grief. :facepalm:

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
And soda?
And candy / sugary substances?
And music (the modern kind with beats and fast rhythms)?

Need I go on?

You say "no reason."

I can provide reasons. Easy. I'm sure you could too. But you present it like there can be no discussion which just makes it (for kids) all about, "do this, but don't get caught."

Like saying, "there is no reason for anyone driving on a highway to go over the speed limit."

You need to try harder, so yes. You need go on...
School is a place where kids go to school to learn.

Yes, there is no reason for children to drink soda or any sugary substance
as part of the official school lunch.
Nor is there any reason for them or anybody to be dancing to any kind of rhythm.

Now, let's get serious. Rather than compare apples to oranges ( sugar and rock and roll to nicotine )...
Have you forgotten your childhood? Don't you realize that kids are going to "do this but don't get caught" anyway?
I don't see where that has a bearing in the argument because the law surely doesn't say
"do this but don't get caught". It says *don't do this here because this is a school and there is a time and a place for everything.*
If they make an exception for nicotine gum, which I don't think they should
it would be only because gum doesn't pose an insurance or second hand effect issue.

Furthermore, no. There is no reason for anybody to drive over the speed limit on a highway.
In the first place, that it is a highway already provides access to higher speeds than a typical street.
In the second place, there are reasons for speed limits, safety reasons.
A speeder with an emergency creates a safety problem for many
innocent drivers; even if the would be speeder is a police officer or emergency vehicle driver
the driver should observe and obey all traffic and safety regulations for
the welfare of the majority of the citizens.

I don't see what the big deal is nor do I see what the issue is with
prohibiting the use of nicotine (or sugary drinks...) on school grounds.

Music, depends on genre and is another (unrelated like the strawman) story...

Let's think about what school is supposed to be and why this country's (US) students are struggling to keep up with
Asian students.
Also ask yourself whether the addiction to nicotine is so strong that a faculty member can't abstain for 8 hours a day
and why this even needs to be legislated.
In my opinion, anybody with that strong an addiction should be detained and hospitalized for their own protection.
They might hold up a liquor store for a box of cigars.

Regards,
Hazy :2cool:

Last edited:

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
Why should one not smoke in school or use nicotine in any manner?

That last paragraph is utter nonsense.. coffee, could affect, our children, good grief. :facepalm:

One should not smoke in school because school isn't a club, it's a place of learning not a place of
using stimulants. If the use of nicotine products by children can be prohibited (as it should be)
then the use of the same by adults during a period and in a place that the children are forced to be
should be prohibited also.
Otherwise you would be applying the law selectively.

Yes. Coffee would effect the children, both if taken directly and possibly
from the children having to deal with a teacher wired out on caffeine.

Nonsense? Only to you. A teacher knows what coffee can do to nerves
and what that can in turn do to children.

Let's bottom line this, shall we?
You and I just won't agree because you want the kids to vape in school.
Me? I do that at home and don't want my kid's teacher's vaping or being wired out on anything while at school.
I'm in control of my..."hobby" so I don't need to do it all the time and have some sense of decorum, civility, and right and wrong.

Regards,
Hazy :2cool:

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
  • Deleted by Robino1
  • Reason: Attack the post not the poster. Thank you :)

Nicot

Mar 1, 2015
Westover, MD. USA
Back in the day when people had rights and freedoms kids were allowed to smoke in school. All that was needed was a note from their parents. I'm not saying that this is right or wrong, I'm just saying we have lost many freedoms over the years. It seems people want the government to tell them how to live. I, and I think, many people on this forum have had enough. The Question is how do we get the pendulum to swing back in the other direction?

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
School is a place where kids go to school to learn.

And also a place where kids may go to play (during off time for school) or to meet up, or to dance, or to graduate, or to do other things that kids do. We are clearly talking about place while you are attempting to pigeon-hole it into an event (only for learning).

And adults go here to teach, to meet up, to vote, to reminisce, and perhaps dozens of other things.

To me, the irony in this is that teaching/learning isn't being allowed to occur for as long as there is this policy that bans. Admittedly, that assertion is debatable for it is plausible to teach/learn about something while a ban is in place, but I'd be surprised if anyone (of the anti crowd) wanted that learning set up unless it was entirely one sided. This is how I recall it being when I was in school as a student. All one sided, and all determined to be biased lies by peers after the little seminar that you could tell the adult authority figure was bored by and just going through motions of explaining what must be conveyed to student body.

Here is where reasons (from students) could easily be provided, if the biases against weren't so heavy.

Yes, there is no reason for children to drink soda or any sugary substance
as part of the official school lunch.
Nor is there any reason for them or anybody to be dancing to any kind of rhythm.

Again, you are pigeon-holing this to the event of school time. Check the law from OP that is in question or any similar law in all other jurisdictions. It is about 'school grounds' and not (only) about 'school time.'

Even with what you are stating, I can think of many reasons why the items could be allowed. Would be very easy to do. So easy that I'm certain you could come up with those reasons. The real point would be whether or not you, or anyone else would agree with those. I take it you would not, even while I'm thinking you would readily concede that many schools do allow for soda, sugary substances and danceable music on their property - during hours of learning/teaching. Thus, why your post deserves multiple quote-responses, as if you are the one speaking in various ways that at one point seem not so serious in what it is considering and at other points....

Now, let's get serious.

Yes, let's.

Rather than compare apples to oranges ( sugar and rock and roll to nicotine )...
Have you forgotten your childhood? Don't you realize that kids are going to "do this but don't get caught" anyway?
I don't see where that has a bearing in the argument because the law surely doesn't say
"do this but don't get caught". It says *don't do this here because this is a school and there is a time and a place for everything.*
If they make an exception for nicotine gum, which I don't think they should
it would be only because gum doesn't pose an insurance or second hand effect issue.

I believe it will mostly be because gum would be so ridiculously hard to enforce whereas exhale of vapor/smoke is easier to detect. If gum were treated in way that smoking is, it wouldn't be impossible to enforce, but it would mean that for a little while and likely at random points over a school year, the grounds would become a temporary police state to make the point as clear as possible that gum is not to be chewed here (even outside of school hours). And then a whole bunch of taxpayers would be wondering why this is so much more important than umpteen other things that 'go wrong' in the local community. In which case anti-crowd would have tough time backing things up unless propaganda remained unquestionable.

The law surely implies, "don't get caught." I agree it doesn't imply "do this" but that is where the whole irony of this being a teaching/learning institution is fully realized. The issue is obviously bigger than vaping/smoking at this point and from what I remember about childhood, it struck me as really immature way to go about things. I'm thinking back to grade school when this stuff would come up and how students then would openly mock what was being conveyed and how authority figure doing the conveying literally had zero passion for what was to be conveyed to the student body.

In all seriousness, it just works as yet another way to discriminate against minors. To indoctrinate them into propaganda that a certain segment of adults seeks to convey to kids in a way that isn't about teaching/learning, but is about control/forbiddance. On hindsight, I'm glad it gets exploited. At the time of my being a student, I thought it funny when the 'cool kids' would blatantly exploit it, and yet confused by how easy it was given how forbidden it was supposed to be. I would say on hindsight, that taught me more about 'how life really works in society' than 'what was Prussia up to in 1641.'

And the way that worked, probably still does, suggests immaturity toward childhood concerns (from adults) shall reign supreme.

Furthermore, no. There is no reason for anybody to drive over the speed limit on a highway.
In the first place, that it is a highway already provides access to higher speeds than a typical street.
In the second place, there are reasons for speed limits, safety reasons.
A speeder with an emergency creates a safety problem for many
innocent drivers; even if the would be speeder is a police officer or emergency vehicle driver
the driver should observe and obey all traffic and safety regulations for
the welfare of the majority of the citizens.

Flow of traffic would easily dispel whatever it is you are thinking is convincing argument here. Sometimes, in order to not get into an accident, one must drive over the speed limit on a continual basis, or get off the highway and find another route.

Which, incidentally, does have some connection to one of many reasons why a kid might consider vaping/smoking on school property, during school hours.

I don't see what the big deal is nor do I see what the issue is with
prohibiting the use of nicotine (or sugary drinks...) on school grounds.

The "prohibiting" part ought to be the red flag that helps see what the big deal could be. That this prohibition would apply to adults regardless of time and only based on "grounds" really ought to have any reasonable person (adult or minor) realize this is a very big deal. Whatever that justification is about, could then serve as propaganda to disallow what is being forbidden, everywhere else in that community. Might not play out that way, but if no one is questioning the prohibition, then that jurisdiction will likely have bigger fish to fry that may appear to people who are asleep at the wheel as having nothing to do with vaping/smoking on school property. I honestly believe kids ought to be questioning the prohibition and a teaching/learning situation ought to be in place just for that purpose, to encourage kids to question that policy.

I don't see what the big deal would be for that. Plausible it could lead to children all now understand/fully agree with (self imposed) ban of that on school property and/or be able to overcome peer issues that seek to consider circumventing the policy. While also plausible it goes the other way, and the draconian measure is seen for what it is - discrimination against the people, by the statists.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Reminder of the Forum Rules: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-forum-rules/51178-forum-rules.html

8. Courtesy
a. Members must be polite at all times. When addressing another Forum user, you will be polite. Courteous discussion is welcome here but heated and abusive argument is not. If attacked you are not allowed to respond in kind. Instead use the Private Message system and try to resolve matters privately and amicably. If problems persist ask for the help of a Moderator.
b. Suppliers cannot post negative material about other suppliers or their products or service or prices, whether they are ECF Suppliers or not.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...ml#post4967638

9. Personal attacks
You can disagree with the subject matter of a post, but never personally attack the poster - “Attack the post, not the poster”. Treat people as you would like to be treated yourself: with courtesy.

Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread