The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Odd question for the day

Discussion in 'Experiments With Equipment' started by Calypso, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Calypso

Calypso Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 23, 2010
    Indiana
    Has anyone experimented with using a piezoelectric device in place of a standard atty to create vapor?

2. No Brag

No Brag Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2010
    Nebraska
    I can't answer that question till I know what a "piezoelectric device" is. :confused: I might have, I don't know.:laugh::vapor:

3. Shibby7634

Shibby7634 Full Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Indiana
    Agreed. If only the internet had search engines I could figure out what this non-sense you speak of is, rather than input my own...

4. No Brag

No Brag Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2010
    Nebraska
    piezoelectric device (electronics) -- Britannica Online EncyclopediaA piezoelectric transducer is a device that produces an acoustic wave from a radio-frequency (RF) input or, conversely, converts an acoustic wave to an RF ...:?:
    Now I am sure that I haven't used one of these to vape with. :) Thanks Shibby for reminding me that there are search engines here.:vapor:

5. Skyway

Skyway Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    NC - USA
    That sounds like what the original ecig was designed from. I heard a while ago that some japanese maker that first created an electronic cigarette was originally done with acoustics and not a wire being charged. Too expensive to make in large quantities though.

6. Calypso

Calypso Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 23, 2010
    Indiana
    Piezoelectric is used in medical nebulizers to turn liquids into a fog the can be inhaled. Some of these are small pocket sized units. One I saw held up to 7ml. They are pricey, have short batt life (about 30min). I thought one of the mad scientists out there may have investigated. The one advantage these may have is that they seem to be much more durable than the current atty.

7. Lee1111

Lee1111 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2010
    here
    If you've seen raidy's thread, he's currently working on a style of one similar with his new invention.

8. RRT

RRT Full Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    My guess is the viscosity of the eliquid will be an issue. I predict lots of gunking up and cleaning issues if it works at all.
    Most all the medicines we nebulize in the medical field are just about water-thin, and diluted with about 85% normal saline water. Also, there is a very specific and relatively narrow micron particle size range that is even able to get to the vast majority of lung tissue, and while piezo elements can be adjusted for amplitude (amount of vapor), most are not adjustable for frequency, which is what determines particulate size. Just my 2 cents worth, and I hope technology continues to progress to make these ideas possible.

9. phoenixfire

phoenixfire Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 3, 2011
    Southeast Mo.
    Also think of the push button igniter on your BBQ grill

10. JWebb

JWebb Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    St. Louis USA
    No idea, how would it work?

11. MASTER0FDAMPF

MASTER0FDAMPF Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 22, 2011
    Philly
    the clicky cricket lighters of old...I kinda miss that noise...maybe if you could make one fire 30 times a second.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.