Official DNA 40 introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritual

Jul 20, 2014
Rhode Island
I hope that 20 watt temperature controlled board they mentioned is going in the MVP v3.

I look forward to the new Aspire BVC coils that will support this function since I am not a rebuilder(yet).

Hopefully by Christmas I can find an Evolv temperature controlled board to upgrade to. Temperature that juices start to produce "byproducts" or that wicks starts to burn was always a common sense concern I had. I have been impressed by Evolv's philosophy in trying to sort out all the problems with E-cigs.

If I was going to recommend a next step for them, would be to bring out some tech implemented into the atomizers themselves, like a "pump system" instead of a wicking system, that adjusts based on juice viscocity and whatever wattage you are vapin at. A major problem with e-cigs is getting the juice to the coil. Its not perfected yet and maybe a company like Evolv could branch out and try to add some tech to the atomizer process, not just add tech to "power management".

Last edited:

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
I'm liking what I am seeing.
Another great innovation from Evolv.
Is TC the new abbreviation we are going to use now?

They could find a "Jon" equivalant in fluid dynamics and mechanical engineering, and use their electronic's knowledge to manage it.

That's called wearing too many hats.
If you are Google big, it's not a big deal.
For a smaller company it can be tough.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
If I was going to recommend a next step for them, would be to bring out some tech implemented into the atomizers themselves, like a "pump system" instead of a wicking system, that adjusts based on juice viscocity and whatever wattage you are vapin at. A major problem with e-cigs is getting the juice to the coil. Its not perfected yet and maybe a company like Evolv could branch out and try to add some tech to the atomizer process, not just add tech to "power management".

To a certain extent the temperature control makes this irrelevant. The downside to imperfect feed is dry hits. Temperature control eliminates that and keeps things vaping at any feed rate.

Ritual

Jul 20, 2014
Rhode Island
To a certain extent the temperature control makes this irrelevant. The downside to imperfect feed is dry hits. Temperature control eliminates that and keeps things vaping at any feed rate.

Flooding will still be a concern.

It's a great step and it's something I am going to adopt, I'm just thinking about the next "weak points" in vaping. There is only so much power management stuff that you can do before you run out of ideas that give any noticeable benefit. Maybe Evolv will say different though :)

They are great at power flow management, we need someone great at liquid flow management, and air flow management ;)

Last edited:

CyberDj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Budapest
A few days ago Imeo made a video on the long awaited VIR having (supposedly) the same features. He uses titanium wires as he claims that is the safest material to vape.
I just wonder whether industrial spying got into vaping heavily, or such closely the same (by idea) products might emerge within days. No offense to any of them as besides chasing megawatts the natural step forward is surely temperature control as future should be fluid / air control (automated injection system like in the cars).

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
I just wonder whether industrial spying got into vaping heavily, or such closely the same (by idea) products might emerge within days.

Scratching my head a bit over that one as well. Add YiHi as a possibility to the temperature control mix. Pictures of their SXmini that was being shown at one of the vape conventions showed joules on the display. A couple of days ago YiHi posted the SXmini specs which includes a line with the solitary word "joules" on it with nothing else in the specs to clarify. The SXmini chip is user upgradeable so perhaps YiHi has future temperature control plans?

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Scratching my head a bit over that one as well. Add YiHi as a possibility to the temperature control mix. Pictures of their SXmini that was being shown at one of the vape conventions showed joules on the display. A couple of days ago YiHi posted the SXmini specs which includes a line with the solitary word "joules" on it with nothing else in the specs to clarify. The SXmini chip is user upgradeable so perhaps YiHi has future temperature control plans?

YiHi would have to reengineer their regulation to begin with. They use one-shot resistance measurement which cannot be used to control temperature.

YiHi is actually a ripoff operation that in addition to flat out infringinging on Evolv's designs (they manufacture DNA clone chips), apparently also copied Evolv's earlier designs for their vaunted SX chips, down to the components. This is why it's funny when people claim they have surpassed Evolv; they are basically using old Evolv technology and driving it at higher wattages, sacrificing reliability and efficiency but winning the stat race among people who don't know better.

As for the VIR, it's interesting that it has apparently been around for years but still hasn't seen light of day. Evolv for its part, if you notice, makes full use of their (patented) VW to do temperature control; DNA chips have always done this kind of regulation, but most people never noticed since kanthal doesn't change resistance that much.

I've got to admit, the idea of using non-resistance wire confuses the hell out of me. I mean, the reason I use resistance/nonresistance wire in my Sofia is that the NR wire doesn't heat up and melt the ceramic cap. Using NR wire flies in the face of Ohm's Law. Where's the heat coming from?

The truth is, NR wire was never really NR wire. Nickel 200 (pure nickel) is resistance or heating wire. It has a characteristic rise in resistance that correlates to temperature.

Last edited:

monkkx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2013
paris, abu dhabi
dicodes also mentioned on fb that they're about to release temperature controlled board ... coincidence?
What I don't understand, is why evolv didn't tried to use an alloy that would allow a coil to be used on both the DNA40 and say a mechanical device ... 0.16ohms atomizer is just something dangerous for anyone having non-DNA40 gears in his collection ...

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
dicodes also mentioned on fb that they're about to release temperature controlled board ... coincidence?

Probably not a coincidence, the Evolv announcement puts pressure on all manufacturers who don't have a product shipping right now as Evolv does. All they can do is try to talk down Evolv's product to try to keep people from buying it.

What I don't understand, is why evolv didn't tried to use an alloy that would allow a coil to be used on both the DNA40 and say a mechanical device ... 0.16ohms atomizer is just something dangerous for anyone having non-DNA40 gears in his collection ...

1) why would you want to do that? totally different technologies and a mech can in no way do anything at ALL like temperature control.
2) it's not dangerous. nickel's resistance rises quickly with temperature.

monkkx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2013
paris, abu dhabi
Probably not a coincidence, the Evolv announcement puts pressure on all manufacturers who don't have a product shipping right now as Evolv does. All they can do is try to talk down Evolv's product to try to keep people from buying it.

1) why would you want to do that? totally different technologies and a mech can in no way do anything at ALL like temperature control.
2) it's not dangerous. nickel's resistance rises quickly with temperature.

mate don't be so defensive ;) I'm questionning to have full understanding of what will be safely doable with such device. I own kick v1, v2, 2 dna20 mods, 5 dna30 mods, and will obviously get a dna40 one :)
Now reason why I would switch my tank on an unregulated device or one using different technology is just because I own and regularely use several beloved devices :)
When going to the grocery 5min walking distance, I'm using an 18350 tube mod because it's the most pocket friendly ...
Also, I thought nickel was hazardous at high temperature. Is it wrong?

Reidus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
New Orleans, LA
No, build still matters. There are still thermodynamics going on. The ohm reading doesn't really matter though.

That actually makes sense. That said, I'll have to have a dedicated RBA for my DNA 40 device. I shudder to think what would happen if I put it on a mechanical.

Reidus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
New Orleans, LA
mate don't be so defensive ;) I'm questionning to have full understanding of what will be safely doable with such device. I own kick v1, v2, 2 dna20 mods, 5 dna30 mods, and will obviously get a dna40 one :)
Now reason why I would switch my tank on an unregulated device or one using different technology is just because I own and regularely use several beloved devices :)
When going to the grocery 5min walking distance, I'm using an 18350 tube mod because it's the most pocket friendly ...
Also, I thought nickel was hazardous at high temperature. Is it wrong?

He answered that in the video: the maximum temperature setting on the chip is well below the temp that could cause problems with the nickel wire.

I agree with you: I've got a mini-Provari I take with me shopping. I've also got 2 DNA 30s which I take to work and a Kick 2 as well as a 26650 mechanical for dripping. I've never pushed the limits on my DNAs, nor do I plan to. I've never built lower than around .8 ohms or so precisely because I worry about the effect of too much heat on the juice. So I welcome the new chip, especially when they come out with the 25 watt version.

Last edited:

monkkx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2013
paris, abu dhabi
He answered that in the video: the maximum temperature setting on the chip is well below the temp that could cause problems with the nickel wire.

i was talking about the temperature when used on a mechanical mod. But i've been told on a different post that it was still safe to vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread