Not open for further replies.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
AB1500 has now been assigned to a committee, which means it is, alarmingly, moving again. But it is not yet scheduled for a hearing. If the committee hears it, it will probably pass the committee, and the overall legislature tends to do what their committees recommend, that's why there are committees.

From http://blog.casaa.org/2014/03/call-to-action-california-ban-on.html:

If enacted, AB 1500 would:

• Ban companies from shipping any tobacco or electronic cigarette products to California citizens (unless they acquire a tobacco retail license).
  • Require businesses selling e-cigarettes to acquire a tobacco license if they want to import products from out-of-state.

I find this especially alarming as the cities in a growing circle around Sen. Corbett's district are all having the same group of cute, sincere, brainwashed high school girls go city-to-city getting bans passed that often include moratoriums on LOCAL vape shops. The only exemptions are for convenience and other stores that sell the BT cigalikes -- oddly, the same stores that the girls say sold them ecigs even though they are underage.

So, if BT and BP have their way, we can't buy locally OR remotely. BT cigalikes will be all we can get in California.

Bill Godshall made the point that it is MORE important to keep this from getting a hearing than it is to show up at the hearing, and from what I've seen at hearings, I think he's right.

So I'll be following the CASAA call-to-action and adding some points of my own, such as that smokeless should always be promoted over combustibles, EVEN according to our worst enemies. And that my opposition is ONLY to the inclusion of smokeless products in the bill.

Repost of part of an explanation by Bill Godshall on the now-crowded and usually-off-topic original thread about AB1500:

Every bill that is introduced must be assigned to a committee. [The sponsor of the bill has] probably done very little (if any) lobbying of his fellow Assembly members (including members of the Governmental Organization Cmte) to support his bill.

That's why now is the time for all CA vapers to contact the Cmte members urging them to oppose AB 1500.

The Cmte Chair may or may not hold a public hearing on AB 1500 (as hearings usually only occur if the bill's sponsor, or lots of other folks, urge the Cmte Chair to hold a public hearing).

The Cmte won't consider (i.e. vote on) AB 1500 unless/until after a majority of Cmte members indicate support for the bill. Hopefully, that will not occur during this legislative session.

Rise up, California vapers!

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
Have you gotten much of a response from Calif. business'?

I'm not a CASAA big shot, just a big CASAA fan.

I would expect the response to be mixed. Some B&M's are having their businesses ruined by new ones popping up on the same block, some are thriving. Some would do better if there were no internet sales, some would do a LOT worse.

When I walk into a business (which I only do in the South SF Bay Area, remember California is as big as a lot of countries!) and offer them a free CASAA flyer and CASAA cards in a (free) $9 acrylic stand they are thrilled and they place it prominently. Some are already active in CASAA and some have never heard of it.

I'll start another thread about the signs and cards and link the post here after I'm done.

But bear in mind, if you vape and want to continue, this is YOUR fight! We can't wait for someone else to do it for us!

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Thanks for creating this new thread, as its title lets CA vapers and vendors know about the bill's committee assignment, and the old thread was just too damn long (and kept getting off topic).

If all the CA vapers and vendors who posted critical comments (on the bill's original thread) would now contact the Cmte members urging them to oppose the bill, the bill may quickly die.

Timing in campaigns is critical, and NOW is the time to take action.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
I hit up CASAA to grab committee contact lists, but...

The recent call-to-action on CASAA (CASAA: Call to Action! California Ban on Internet Sales (AB 1500) and Ban on E-Cigarette Usage (SB 648)) mentions both AB 1500 and SB 648.

I thought SB 648 was more or less dead... as a res spell been cast on this as well? I ask because I'd like to focus my message, if possible.

Hard to say. Maybe CASAA has heard more than I have. I know that 648 was only temporarily set aside, so if the ANTZ get enough propaganda and lobbying done to change the committee's mind (same committee) then we'd be in danger.

I have always been aware that neither of these bills were LEGALLY dead, we just hoped they were unpopular-enough to die. They have until late fall to pass, and 648 already passed the Senate.

I would also like to focus my message. Hmmm.

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
People have probably seen this already.

This is the real reason for the fight against e-cigs.

Following the money leads to the truth every time.

x5NKjQz.jpg

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
Well for one they can be damned, I for one will have an out of state po box and have my juice shipped there. But I will keep an eye on this thread waiting for marching orders. I did send an email using a script that Berylanna put together to the Blk caucus.
As cigarettes affect the black population more per capita than most other ethnicities in the state of Ca.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
I hit up CASAA to grab committee contact lists, but...

The recent call-to-action on CASAA (CASAA: Call to Action! California Ban on Internet Sales (AB 1500) and Ban on E-Cigarette Usage (SB 648)) mentions both AB 1500 and SB 648.

I thought SB 648 was more or less dead... as a res spell been cast on this as well? I ask because I'd like to focus my message, if possible.

Sen. Corbett has been quiet the past couple months, but at the end of 2013 she indicated she was working on revisions to the bill, which will likely be nothing more than a statement saying that the bill isn't intended to cover those with medical ......... cards (similar to what San Francisco has done).

Assuming Corbett is still running for Congress this year, one would hope that she has realized that there are more important things to do than push nanny state policies that aren't particularly popular with voters.

But it's still worth fighting, especially with all the city and county bans we've sadly seen over the past 8 months.

DJLEC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Union City, California
Sen. Corbett has been quiet the past couple months, but at the end of 2013 she indicated she was working on revisions to the bill

I did not get a response from this Senator asking for her to Oppose this ridiculous Bill. What I have received instead are generated e-mails that indicate what she is up to.

I can try again but it is doubtful I get a response. I regard this as excellent representation for her constituents - Not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm here in Los Angeles. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. Politics is not my area of expertise, but I have a big mouth and a working phone, computer, etc. I spoke with the folks heading the NYC lawsuit last night. We want to have a sandwich lawsuit coming at them from both coasts. I'm going to need some funding in order to go after LA over this recent ban, meanwhile, I am very concerned about AB-1500. If there is something else I should be doing, HELP!!! Just point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
Sen. Corbett has been quiet the past couple months, but at the end of 2013 she indicated she was working on revisions to the bill, which will likely be nothing more than a statement saying that the bill isn't intended to cover those with medical ......... cards (similar to what San Francisco has done).

Assuming Corbett is still running for Congress this year, one would hope that she has realized that there are more important things to do than push nanny state policies that aren't particularly popular with voters.

But it's still worth fighting, especially with all the city and county bans we've sadly seen over the past 8 months.

Thanks for this, I actually wasn't aware that Corbett indicated she was revising it. I guess if she excludes medical ........., I'll just have to go get a card then! :)

All kidding aside, I think for now I'll focus efforts on AB1500, as I personally see this one as a MUCH more ominous threat.

Unfortunately, none of the committee members are from my district. Any advice, from those much more savvy in this than I am, on how best to proceed getting my message to them?

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
CASAA is wonderful but I don't think they can do it all. I wondered if biz were stepping up to the plate with doing some local lobbying or campaigns?

It just sounded to me like it was time to do some hand shaking, pass out starter kits to staffers who may still smoke, etc. Having just one converted vaper in the state house can go a long way IMO. Knock on doors stuff. Passion is infectious.

Several business' put together that campaign IMPROOF in S. Calif and it's still active on Facebook; at least they are holding contests with people posting vids telling their stories. Free stickers, T-shirts. Maybe they can go north for a rally? But that's the kind of thing business can do.

Randy at RTS stated that Calif was his largest customer base. His business will be directly affected if these bans get passed. Call him. I'm sure there's other national retailers that'll be affected and I think might provide your funding base.

Local retailers who don't want competition have lost sight that their customer base of new smokers curious about quitting will dwindle (esp if they try BLU first). The point of moratoriums / bans is to stop growth of an industry like vaping. If it doesn't, they will be back passing more bills/taxes the next year and the next and... Prevention is easiest even if it's not easy.

I spent a number of years in San Jose and I'm from the NW (never really left). One reason AZ hasn't been more affected is that NJoy is here and they do a lot of shaking hands (i.e. lobbying). Face to face contact makes a big difference.

Anyway, take my comments for what their worth. I'm not in Calif. and I'm not in your shoes. I'll go back to lurking mode.

I'm not a CASAA big shot, just a big CASAA fan.

I would expect the response to be mixed. Some B&M's are having their businesses ruined by new ones popping up on the same block, some are thriving. Some would do better if there were no internet sales, some would do a LOT worse.

When I walk into a business (which I only do in the South SF Bay Area, remember California is as big as a lot of countries!) and offer them a free CASAA flyer and CASAA cards in a (free) $9 acrylic stand they are thrilled and they place it prominently. Some are already active in CASAA and some have never heard of it.

I'll start another thread about the signs and cards and link the post here after I'm done.

But bear in mind, if you vape and want to continue, this is YOUR fight! We can't wait for someone else to do it for us!

Last edited:

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
I'm here in Los Angeles. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. Politics is not my area of expertise, but I have a big mouth and a working phone, computer, etc. I spoke with the folks heading the NYC lawsuit last night. We want to have a sandwich lawsuit coming at them from both coasts. I'm going to need some funding in order to go after LA over this recent ban, meanwhile, I am very concerned about AB-1500. If there is something else I should be doing, HELP!!! Just point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Good luck with the lawsuit!

Go to the CASAA.org page, find the California call-to-action, and contact your legislator. ESPECIALLY do so if your legislator is on that committee.

I will also be contacting committee members, but when I do that, the FIRST LINE of the letter always says I am contacting them AS A MEMBER OF THAT COMMITTEE.

Also, if you have anything to say, it doesn't go on the record unless it is sent to the address casaa.org lists as "to submit testimony."

If you're trying to put together a lawsuit, I'm not going to suggest you do anything more than just write or call your legislator, you're going to have a VERY full plate!

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
Unfortunately, none of the committee members are from my district. Any advice, from those much more savvy in this than I am, on how best to proceed getting my message to them?

1. Let your legislator know you'd like her to contact the committee and let them know they're hearing opposition.
2. Write the committee (and call I guess) and the FIRST THING you say is that you are contacting them AS A COMMITTEE MEMBER, so they know you're not trying to get around your own legislator.

They seldom give a darn about those not eligible to vote in their backyard - but my trusty form letter is on the way to every ignorant official I could locate.

It sickens me to see legislation passed and then recorded with this as the first line:

"THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS" <------- BS / HOGWASH / AN OUTRIGHT LIE ...... "The People" enact nothing; politicians jam this garbage down the throats of those they DO NOT represent. They ruin CA one stupid law at a time.

Tom........... So glad I snuck out of CA when in their infinite STUPIDITY the Department of the Navy and our Congressional Prostitutes decided to close the Long Beach Naval Station.

Lisa Belle

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
Sylvania, OH
www.lisabelle-artist.com
I can appreciate this I had the habit for 40 years and in May 4 yrs. of vaping, but finally 100% August 2013. Very little smoking in the 4 years though, the taste and smell was revolting. I am saving money. HUGE AMOUNTS. I make my own E-liquid, I buy wire and rebuildable attys and basically replace mods every so often, along with batteries, there is no comparison to what cigarettes were costing at 8. a pk and I smoked 1 - 2 pks a day. I am glad we are on the journey and I do agree that the cost of smoking isn't only financial at least it wasn't for me. VAPE ON :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread