Oh, no, it's alive! CA no-shipping bill AB1500 assigned to committee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
How many YES votes are required for Appropriations Cmte passage of the bill?

Did the Appropriations Cmte scheduled another meeting for later this afternoon (to conduct another vote on AB 1500)?

Would votes that were cast by Cmte members on May 21 still count (for today's reconsideration vote)?

Also, must Assembly Cmte members be present to cast a vote (or can they do so by proxy or by simply calling in their vote)?

Depending upon the CA Assembly Cmte voting rules/procedures, Dickinson might have to offer several Cmte members (who didn't vote for the bill on May 21) something really substantial in exchange for their vote today on AB 1500 (especially if they have to attend another Approps Cmte meeting today).

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Did the Appropriations Cmte scheduled another meeting for later this afternoon (to conduct another vote on AB 1500)?

Would votes that were cast by Cmte members on May 21 still count (for today's reconsideration vote)?

Also, must Assembly Cmte members be present to cast a vote (or can they do so by proxy or by simply calling in their vote)?

Depending upon the CA Assembly Cmte voting rules/procedures, Dickinson might have to offer several Cmte members (who didn't vote for the bill on May 21) something really substantial in exchange for their vote today on AB 1500 (especially if they have to attend another Approps Cmte meeting today).

Oh no... :D

Bill status as of now:

In committee: Set second hearing. Failed passage. Reconsideration granted.

So now what? :facepalm:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
OK, so it's official! RIP AB1500!!!!! (for now????????????????)

giphy.gif

StefanDidak

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2014
Oakley, CA, USA
www.stefandidak.com
OK, so it's official! RIP AB1500!!!!! (for now????????????????)

giphy.gif

That's uhm... a highly suggestive GIF! :)

"For now" is definitely the operative term it seems. The last we heard was that they will probably take what they learned (learned?) and do a bunch of rewrites and will try again next year. We'll be waiting for them and hopefully we'll have larger numbers and be able to squash this much earlier on in the process. I was talking to Joe Barnett today who said it would be great if we got 1000's of people out there, which I agree with of course. I would be happy with hundreds if we can make that happen next time on the merry-go-round in Sacramento.

StefanDidak

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2014
Oakley, CA, USA
www.stefandidak.com

All good questions to which I unfortunately have no answers. I am still trying to figure out just how this legislative process works because they sure managed to pull a fast one on us because we thought it was dead while Dickinson went off to seek another vote later in the day (on wednesday, the second one that failed with 6-1).

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com

Per one of Dickinson's staffers, he' s going to work on it next year.

Many CA legislators spend Fridays in their districts. Julie's analysis in conversation with Greg was that if it did not PASS by 5pm today, we're good for now. I don't know how he could have arranged another hearing, I think he would have had to make a back room deal and then Wednesday's votes would somehow get changed retroactively.

From the legislative calendar:

May 23 Last day for fiscal committees to meet and report to the floor bills introduced in their house (J.R. 61(b)(8)).

2014 Tentative Legislative Calendar | Assembly Internet
California State Legislature—Calendar Schedule

Since SB648 is from the Senate side, it might be resurrectable. NOT this thread, PLEASE!

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA

StefanDidak

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2014
Oakley, CA, USA
www.stefandidak.com
Yep, it's back. The walking dead bill has come back to life.

I've put out or local CTA's on this after first having notified our local area folks that this one might be coming up in an amended form, the CASAA CTA has also gone out, etc. and I've gotten some responses to that. I suspect we'll be a small group in Sacramento tomorrow because the short notice situation on when it ended up on the agenda and the little time we had to get the word out (that alone takes about half a day to deal with) and then get folks to join and for others to take mail/fax/phone actions.

Either way, anyone who wants to join us tomorrow, we're doing our usual thing, meeting half an hour prior to the hearing at the front steps of the Capitol building. So that's at 1pm (the hearing is at 1:30pm and SB648 is first up on the agenda).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread