Oh, no, it's alive! CA no-shipping bill AB1500 assigned to committee

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanDidak

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2014
Oakley, CA, USA
www.stefandidak.com
If you are Ever Speaking at a setting where they will allow you to Submit something for the "Public Record", bring it with you.

Check the video: Upset in the Appropriations Committee over AB 1500

Start from 11:40. There is no conflict in statements. aikanae1 just misheard or remembered wrong. Here's a transcript from what she said:

My name is Sallie Goetsch. I am a non-smoker. I have never smoked a cigarette or anything else. [laughter from the room].

I married a smoker, who has smoked since his teens. He has now quit smoking due to electronic cigarettes.

I believe that AB 1500 is a solution in search of a problem

20% of teens smoke tobacco cigarettes. Only 10% of teens have ever tried an e-cigarette. If you look at the teens who are non-smokers that drops to about 2 or 3%.

We have no statistics on teens on the number of teens who have actually purchased or even attempted to purchase e-cigarettes online.

I do believe that it is worth verifying the age of purchasers at the time of purchase. I don't think anyone should sell e-cigarettes to minors.

......... sales in any form to anyone online without a prescription are already illegal and are not relevant to this bill.

However, age-verification at time of delivery while pretty much irrelevant if you are buying a $200 shipment of wine are burdensome when added to a $16 bottle of e-liquid.

I oppose this bill.

I urge this committee to oppose this bill, which will be impossible to enforce; will not deter teens from using e-cigarettes and will send business out of state causing loss of jobs; loss of sales tax revenue; increase of products imported from out of state or overseas, and a possible increase in the number of people who return to smoking from e-cigarettes. Thank you.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Check the video: Upset in the Appropriations Committee over AB 1500

Start from 11:40. There is no conflict in statements. aikanae1 just misheard or remembered wrong. Here's a transcript from what she said:

My name is Sallie Goetsch. I am a non-smoker. I have never smoked a cigarette or anything else. [laughter from the room].

I married a smoker, who has smoked since his teens. He has now quit smoking due to electronic cigarettes.

I believe that AB 1500 is a solution in search of a problem

20% of teens smoke tobacco cigarettes. Only 10% of teens have ever tried an e-cigarette. If you look at the teens who are non-smokers that drops to about 2 or 3%.

We have no statistics on teens on the number of teens who have actually purchased or even attempted to purchase e-cigarettes online.

I do believe that it is worth verifying the age of purchasers at the time of purchase. I don't think anyone should sell e-cigarettes to minors.

......... sales in any form to anyone online without a prescription are already illegal and are not relevant to this bill.

However, age-verification at time of delivery while pretty much irrelevant if you are buying a $200 shipment of wine are burdensome when added to a $16 bottle of e-liquid.

I oppose this bill.

I urge this committee to oppose this bill, which will be impossible to enforce; will not deter teens from using e-cigarettes and will send business out of state causing loss of jobs; loss of sales tax revenue; increase of products imported from out of state or overseas, and a possible increase in the number of people who return to smoking from e-cigarettes. Thank you.

Gotcha...

But don't Discount the Sending in of Study Data as a Deterrent to many things. If you send someone the Drexel Study or the London Report it makes it Very Difficult for them to just Pull things out of their .... and make it sound like it is True.

It also Forces someone like Dickerson to Read the Study or Report to know what he is Up Against.

---

BTW I think this is a Great Line.

I believe that AB 1500 is a solution in search of a problem.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
We need you in Illinois!

Thank you for bringing up that thought.

As an analysis... I have no idea where to begin to figure out what worked and didn't. It would also be mostly speculation. So I will stick to what I know worked and what the possible future positive results of all this AB1500 fighting has been.

1) Our group of non-vendor advocates has worked very hard on this for many weeks and it has been a disproportional effort for all of us (I think so, but others, please do chime in!) and we got a very good little dedicated group going who are doing research, organization, reaching out and bringing attention to things, etc. And as a result of this AB1500 fight we have also gained a group of dedicated, friendly, serious vendors who not only have now seen the importance but have seen that if we combine forces (consumers and vendors alike) we CAN make some difference and it is easier to convince people now that sitting back and doing nothing is a bad idea and doing something and helping out will certainly pay off for them in one way or another, for all of us.

2) My business' name (totally unrelated to vaping or retail or any of that) is Ignyter and my slogan is "creating big bangs out of small sparks" and I think that slogan, if anything, applies to what we've all accomplished here in this area of CA. And now it's time to take that positive spark and try and get that big bang going. I would like to explain in detail what we're doing right now but since I'm not the main organizer on this one and we are still working out some crucial details I'm going to refrain from announcing things just at the moment. HOWEVER, having said that...

ANY CALI VENDORS who are REALLY SERIOUS about being part of the fight (local, state, and federal) AND are willing to dedicate some resources to it and could make it out to Sacramento on the 30th this month for a hopefully very VERY interesting meeting from noon to 5pm, please please please get in touch with me ASAP! Not being there is not going to be crucial but we'd love to have you there to talk about a whole range of things that are important to everyone including the various plans and options on how we can unite.

3) What have we learned and what can we help others with that. If anything, PERSISTENCE. If it wasn't for that and continuing to try to keep people to be part of the fight and having help from various other sources, is essential. But what we need is a) numbers, and b) people who can do this in a sustained manner (that, of course, is a whole different matter!). We need to be more organized. We need to have some sort of "toolkit" for organizing, helping others organize their own groups, we need to communicate and educate. And we need a proper centralized place for this to take place and/or being facilitated.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
I'm sticking with smoking / smokeless tobacco and vaping nicotine.

I've just been saying "combustibles." it's shorter, and it covers cloves, random things from the garden, medical things, burning houses (don't you think there's a reason firefighters wear breathing gear?) and double-emphasizes that tobacco is not the issue.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
3) What have we learned and what can we help others with that. If anything, PERSISTENCE. If it wasn't for that and continuing to try to keep people to be part of the fight and having help from various other sources, is essential. But what we need is a) numbers, and b) people who can do this in a sustained manner (that, of course, is a whole different matter!). We need to be more organized. We need to have some sort of "toolkit" for organizing, helping others organize their own groups, we need to communicate and educate. And we need a proper centralized place for this to take place and/or being facilitated.

A couple of thoughts here.

1. I think persistence is enhanced by having a little impromptu lunch and vape meet after hearings, getting to know each other.

2. I don't have staying power these days, a lot of working folks don't, but if enough people are willing to persist WHEN THEY CAN, the overall crowd size will remain big. In other words, tag-team it. Think of it as a relay race. As long as somebody grabs the torches, we don't ALL have to show up EVERY TIME.

3. Notice I can't count to 2. I have experienced and observed some pretty severe post-loss depression, made worse when you sit through so many lies. So I try to tell myself that at least by showing up and rebutting most of the lies (they get a last shot in that we can't rebut) we've put them on notice that they are being watched, and they're not fooling EVERYbody. And they just might be...WRONG!

That said, it is very thrilling to see people who are GOOD at this speak for us. Not everybody is replaceable.

StefanDidak

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2014
Oakley, CA, USA
www.stefandidak.com
A couple of thoughts here.

1. I think persistence is enhanced by having a little impromptu lunch and vape meet after hearings, getting to know each other.

2. I don't have staying power these days, a lot of working folks don't, but if enough people are willing to persist WHEN THEY CAN, the overall crowd size will remain big. In other words, tag-team it. Think of it as a relay race. As long as somebody grabs the torches, we don't ALL have to show up EVERY TIME.

3. Notice I can't count to 2. I have experienced and observed some pretty severe post-loss depression, made worse when you sit through so many lies. So I try to tell myself that at least by showing up and rebutting most of the lies (they get a last shot in that we can't rebut) we've put them on notice that they are being watched, and they're not fooling EVERYbody. And they just might be...WRONG!

That said, it is very thrilling to see people who are GOOD at this speak for us. Not everybody is replaceable.

1) ABSOLUTELY! I think the whole social aspect of it is an extremely important part and I've already been talking to a few other people who are interested in organizing "vape meets" in a slightly more organized fashion. Time wise, I will have to delegate that to someone else but I sure would go out of my way to attend if it's within reach. The social aspect of vendors and consumers together is also very important in this because while traditionally both sides have a different perspective or need, the vendors are themselves consumers also and we have a huge amount of overlap in our goals.

2) Exactly. Which also brings back "toolkit" and "facilitate" and "education" components. It means having shared knowledge and resources that are easily available and dispensed, etc.

3) I'm just happy that Dickinson refrained from repeating that statement about adults and flavors. Sometimes just pushing back and throwing out a twitter bomb with a bunch of vapers may seem a bit juvenile but... it does work sometimes. :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

I was really, really depressed last night. I kept writing letters and faxing them to the committee members without much hope, honestly.

But one thought never left my mind: If not me, who? And if not now, when?

As you see, I can't count to two, either. :facepalm:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
She's a star! Really. I mean it with all my heart!

Both of you deserve our eternal gratitude! :wub:

And Berylanna, Kathleen and everyone who showed up, phoned, faxed, emailed and otherwise expressed their outrage.

God, I just want this to be over so we can move on to fighting the deeming regs without further distractions. :facepalm:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I was calling through the appropriations committee as per Tweety's suggestion. Even though I don't live in CA, my line was that I was going to steer my clients away from buying hardware from CA firms.

I got as far as Campos. An LA (legis aide) told me that 1500 is totally dead. I was skeptical and said that I'd heard that Dickenson was trying to revive it, and the LA said: "Well, this is the legislature and nothing's ever completely dead, but this is about as dead as bills get."

Should I keep calling?

Thanks, Roger! :wub:

Sorry I missed your post earlier. :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread