Not open for further replies.

Zbeast08

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wilson, NC, USA
I am sure this is somewhere within this forum but the search engine is very lacking but I have become a little confused on the following....I am pretty sure the lower ohms like 1.5 drains the battery faster and normally is used at about 3.4v or so. My question is..the lower the ohms, the warmer the vape? The higher resistance the cooler the vape? Does the single coil, dual coil affect the warmer or cooler vape? P,ease give me the guidelines as I have 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 ohm cartos and juice may play a factor as to what resistance is better or worse? Please give me your general rules of thumb that you use when selecting resistance!! Thanks

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I am sure this is somewhere within this forum but the search engine is very lacking but I have become a little confused on the following....I am pretty sure the lower ohms like 1.5 drains the battery faster and normally is used at about 3.4v or so. My question is..the lower the ohms, the warmer the vape? The higher resistance the cooler the vape? Does the single coil, dual coil affect the warmer or cooler vape? P,ease give me the guidelines as I have 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 ohm cartos and juice may play a factor as to what resistance is better or worse? Please give me your general rules of thumb that you use when selecting resistance!! Thanks

Hello

The battery life is determined by the amps you're pulling. I changed the order of quadrants around on the wheel, but the formulae are all still correct.

yo2.gif

P = power (watts)
V = volts
R = resistance
I = current (amps) I forgot why it's "I"

V²/R = P

4.5v²/2.2Ω = 9.2w

V/R = I

4.5v/2.2Ω = 2.05 amps

3.7v²/1.5Ω = 9.1w

3.7v/1.5Ω = 2.47 amps

Even though a 2.2Ω atty at 4.5v and a 1.5Ω atty at 3.7v are producing the same amount of watts (+/-), when vaping low-res the amps increase, which draws more from the battery.

I'm not sure with store bought devices the settings would make much of a difference in temperature (warmer or cooler vape), since 9 watts is 9 watts, but someone will probably correct me on this. Personally, I don't notice a difference. The lower resistance atty came into existence when most people only had cig-a-like and it gave them the ability to vary the power.

I never got into dual coils since a number of people (including Bad) had said they didn't seem to notice much of a benefit to the vape, and it seemed to burn the cartos out faster. The only thing I do know are some of the mechanics.

A dual coil carto consists of two coils of the same resistance. They are wired in parallel so the total resistance is half the resistance of either coil.

For example:

The total resistance of the 1.5ohm dual coil is 1.5ohms, but the resistance of either coil it contains is 3ohms. Both coils are actually 3.0ohms individually, together they are not 6.0, they are 1.5ohms

A 1.5ohm carto at 3.7V would be drawing 3.7/1.5=2.47 amps. But the single coil is burning at 3.7^2 / 1.5 = 9.13 watts, while each coil of a dual coil 1.5ohm carto is burning at (3.7^2/1.5) / 2 = 4.57 watts. You are spliting the power between the two coils.

Now this is where I get lost, since I don't know how to calculate the amps for dual coils.

As far as guidelines, I usually buy 3.0Ω cartos, 1.5Ω attys for the bottom-feeders and 2.8Ω heads (when I can find them) for the Protank, since I've found them to burn at lower resistances. I basically vape to taste and I know I like these through trial and error.

ETA: It occurred to me about the low/high-warm/cool question. My box mods are all 3.7v, so the only way to change wattage is to change resistance. When using one of those, a low-res atty has a warmer vape, since it puts out more watts. Maybe that's what was meant.

Last edited:

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
I had good luck with a Smok 1.5ohm dual coil but it worked better at higher watts than i needed for a 1.7ohm single coil. I had the same experience with the iClear30 coils vs a Kanger single coils of similar (2ohm) resistance. IMO dual coils seem to need more watts to get a similar vape. Comparing the cleaors is not a good example but i seem to have similar results occasionally.

The SMOK single coil 1.7ohm did fine (for me) at 6.5-7 watts with the same juice and on the same MVP V2. The dual coil needed at least 8 watts and did not really start to come alive until i hit around 8.5 watts. At 9 watts it gave a pretty heavy vape but i prefer mine a bit milder/cooler or however you wish to describe it. The SMOK 1.5ohm dual coil did discharge the battery faster too. Much faster than some ive tried. I was beginning to think the yellow indicator would never come on after a single days use but it finally did. :p

On my MVP, i prefer ohms in the 1.7-2.4 range and single coil for cartos. The iClears dual coils though are still pretty good if you are looking for a warmer clearo vape but its due more to the top coil design. They used to offer a i16 SC too but i think its discontinued.

After watching the youtube about the Innokin limitations on several of their VV/VW devices with various resistances and advice from ECF members, its all beginning to make sense to me. :D Basically, now i understand why certain products work for me on my mod and others are rather ho hum. I watched a KICK2 test also and man that is a beast. Big difference in max amp potential and a very solid watt output over a larger ohm range.

ATM im stuck with whats available but im really looking forward to trying the LR IKVs after hearing all the good reviews. Those should be right in the middle of the "sweet spot" for me.

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com

You might find this calculator useful - http://www................./ecal.html

I can't advise you on dual coils because I haven't really messed with these much.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I had good luck with a Smok 1.5ohm dual coil but it worked better at higher watts than i needed for a 1.7ohm single coil. I had the same experience with the iClear30 coils vs a Kanger single coils of similar (2ohm) resistance. IMO dual coils seem to need more watts to get a similar vape. Comparing the cleaors is not a good example but i seem to have similar results occasionally.

The SMOK single coil 1.7ohm did fine (for me) at 6.5-7 watts with the same juice and on the same MVP V2. The dual coil needed at least 8 watts and did not really start to come alive until i hit around 8.5 watts. At 9 watts it gave a pretty heavy vape but i prefer mine a bit milder/cooler or however you wish to describe it. The SMOK 1.5ohm dual coil did discharge the battery faster too. Much faster than some ive tried. I was beginning to think the yellow indicator would never come on after a single days use but it finally did. :p

On my MVP, i prefer ohms in the 1.7-2.4 range and single coil for cartos. The iClears dual coils though are still pretty good if you are looking for a warmer clearo vape but its due more to the top coil design. They used to offer a i16 SC too but i think its discontinued.

After watching the youtube about the Innokin limitations on several of their VV/VW devices with various resistances and advice from ECF members, its all beginning to make sense to me. :D Basically, now i understand why certain products work for me on my mod and others are rather ho hum. I watched a KICK2 test also and man that is a beast. Big difference in max amp potential and a very solid watt output over a larger ohm range.

ATM im stuck with whats available but im really looking forward to trying the LR IKVs after hearing all the good reviews. Those should be right in the middle of the "sweet spot" for me.

A dual coil is going to require more voltage because the power is split between the two coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread