RDA Ohms changing on built coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conner85

Unresolved Status
Feb 18, 2015
Indiana
I'm new to RDAs. A friend of mine sold me his Mutation X V2 and his iPV3 and wired a coil for me since I didn't know how. This whole time I've been vaping away on the Mutation and reading about how vaping below .2 ohms is pretty dangerous. I got curious today to check the ohm load of the coil he built and bought an ohm meter. It changes between .3 and goes down to .19 and I've been vaping somewhere between 40 and 65 watts. The wattage is displayed on the iPV3, but I just wanted to test its accuracy. And it's right. When he last vaped this iPV3, it was set to 69 watts. Safe or no?

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
safe all depends on the amps your battery can handle. you have to lookup what battery is in the device and what the amp rating is.

vapecalc.com

a 0.19ohm resistance coil at 69 watts says its 3.62volts at 19.06 amps. There is somethign about regulated devices though that makes it safer but im not 100% sure on what it is but is till try to keep away from super low resistance at high watts that is out of reach of my battery on a mech.

resistance changes alot for coils, when it heats up it changes resistance, if its moved or molded or squeezed it changes resistance because the path of wire changes.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I'm new to RDAs. A friend of mine sold me his Mutation X V2 and his iPV3 and wired a coil for me since I didn't know how. This whole time I've been vaping away on the Mutation and reading about how vaping below .2 ohms is pretty dangerous. I got curious today to check the ohm load of the coil he built and bought an ohm meter. It changes between .3 and goes down to .19 and I've been vaping somewhere between 40 and 65 watts. The wattage is displayed on the iPV3, but I just wanted to test its accuracy. And it's right. When he last vaped this iPV3, it was set to 69 watts. Safe or no?

Doesn't the ipv3 show you the ohms?

0.3 to 0.2 sounds like a big change to me; thats' a 30% drop.
Could be the screw posts not in tight (they can loosen from the frequent heating and cooling);
could be the coil is too close the the topcap when you put the topcap on - check the ohms with the topcap off

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I have no way of checking at the moment. All my allen keys are too big to fit the screws. Might have to call him.

no no no
it should display resistance on the screen.
check the user manual

probably have to hold down the minus button or the plus button to read the resistance.

Conner85

Unresolved Status
Feb 18, 2015
Indiana
I went ahead and tore it all down. My local vape shop gave me the allen key I needed out of their display model of the Mutation. Got some wire and Japanese cotton. Went for a .5 ohm dual coil and ended up with a .4 ohm. It jumps from .4 to .5 as it heats up, so I'm guessing I'm somewhere in the ball park of where I wanted to be.

I believe the wire I used is either 26 or 28 gauge and I did 8 wraps on both coils.

cjs71988

Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
North Jersey
I was just coming on here to ask a similar question lol. I have a build on a mutation x v3, 26g dual coil, 1/8" inner diameter, 8 wraps. It started at .6 and after a day or two it dropped to .5 I've heard of the ohms slowly increasing over time but I didn't know they could drop as well. Checked the posts and everything is tight.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I went ahead and tore it all down. My local vape shop gave me the allen key I needed out of their display model of the Mutation. Got some wire and Japanese cotton. Went for a .5 ohm dual coil and ended up with a .4 ohm. It jumps from .4 to .5 as it heats up, so I'm guessing I'm somewhere in the ball park of where I wanted to be.

I believe the wire I used is either 26 or 28 gauge and I did 8 wraps on both coils.

I was just coming on here to ask a similar question lol. I have a build on a mutation x v3, 26g dual coil, 1/8" inner diameter, 8 wraps. It started at .6 and after a day or two it dropped to .5 I've heard of the ohms slowly increasing over time but I didn't know they could drop as well. Checked the posts and everything is tight.

If somebody has a 0.5 ohm coil, and it keeps changing anywhere between 0.46 and 0.54 all the time, but there meter only show 1 decimal place and can't measure down to 0.01 of an ohm, they're not going to see the change.

If your coil measurement changes by 0.1 of an ohm, it's not that that is especially unusual, it's just that 0.1 ohm is not much in the first place.
That's one of the reasons WHY subohm vaping is such a concern.

Sometimes when your priming the coil ( first couple of pulses after a build ) the resistance likes to jump around a bit but after that it should be pretty steady.

Also like stated above, check your connections. Make sure you are getting good contact, even if it's a little loose it will jump around.

p.s.) i use the resistance from the Ohm reader. I have a sigelei 100watt and it does get close but it isn't too accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread