Not open for further replies.

ElectriSean

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I'm sure glad you guys didn't wire my house :D

So am I, I hate residential work.

Furthermore, no, there is no such thing as resistance in an AC circuit. There is impedance. There is no impedance in a DC circuit, there is resistance. They are in essence the same concept, but still not the same thing.

I guess they teach things differently where you come from, part of impedance is reactance, which is the vertical line in the impedance triangle. The resistance is the horizontal. The hypotenuse is the resultant impedance. This is 2nd year electrician stuff where I'm from.

As I said, I never looked at a mod on a scope, I don't know what the output looks like. Now I'm truly curious though, so I will see what I can see on Monday if there's time. The PWM I deal with is, for all intents and purposes, AC. It drives AC motors, and powers other AC devices. I am far from an electronics expert, but electricity and I are old friends.

Stiiinger

Jul 11, 2014
Mississauga, Canada
From what I understand, PWM, while not flat DC, is not AC as the electrons are always flowing in one direction.

This is 100% correct. A periodic wave is not in itself AC. A square wave DC signal is still DC, and a PWM signal is essentially a variable square wave: the amount of time in the ON or OFF position can be varied over a period, which is what is called the duty cycle.

What this means to us, is that we can control the amount of power delivered to a load, without needing to change the voltage. Replace motor in the below image with APV:

duty_cycle.gif

BTW, this directly applies to the "rattlesnake" effect spoke of wrt APVs. If you use a low frequency PWM signal, the length of time in each position is longer, and noticeable to us, creating the rattlesnake effect. The higher the frequency, the quicker the switching for a given duty cycle, and the less noticeable it is to us.

Note, for a given voltage, and a given duty cycle, the amount of power delivered is the same regardless of the frequency. A high frequency signal and a low frequency signal at a given duty cycle spend the same amount of time in the ON and OFF positions, the high just toggles between the two states quicker.

Also worth noting. Just because we're talking about frequency doesn't make anything magically AC, as noted above.

Everything you just posted is incorrect. This is basic electrical theory, nothing at all to do with electronics (which are entirely DC).

... I have no idea how to respond to this. Electronics are built upon electrical theory.

Last edited:

ElectriSean

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Alberta, Canada
... I have no idea how to respond to this. Electronics are build upon electrical theory.

And I was saying that the part we were discussing was not related to more complicated electronics, just simple electrical theory. As I said, I am not well versed in electronics.

Stiiinger

Jul 11, 2014
Mississauga, Canada
I'll also add something about the magnetic and electric fields being discussed. They are not the same thing, by the way, but are very much related.

One way magnetic fields are caused are by moving electrical charge, current, through a conductor. In fact, current moving through a long wire is one of the simplest examples of a magnetic field being generated in this manner. So yes, we do have magnetic fields created every time we fire our APV.

Electric fields are caused by a combination of charged particles and varying magnetic fields. So if we talk about APVs with PWM in play, there are varying magnetic fields in play at all the transient points (when the signal switches from ON to OFF, or OFF to ON). This means we have electric fields.

NOTE: Electromagnetic theory is stupidly complicated. I'm not an expert, and truth be told, I had to open a couple of my old textbooks and think a little to write this, but I could still be wrong...

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

One way magnetic fields are caused are by moving electrical charge, current, through a conductor. In fact, current moving through a long wire is one of the simplest examples of a magnetic field being generated in this manner. So yes, we do have magnetic fields created every time we fire our APV.

Yeah... And the Magnetic Field Lines look completely Different when the Wire is Straight. Verses what they look Like when the Wire is Looped like in an Atomizer Coil.

BTW - Somewhere Maxwell is Smiling for you Mentioning this.

Stiiinger

Jul 11, 2014
Mississauga, Canada
Yeah... And the Magnetic Field Lines look completely Different when the Wire is Straight. Verses what they look Like when the Wire is Looped like in an Atomizer Coil.

True :) The simple example I mentioned assumes an infinitely long, straight, wire. But that's only to be able to simplify the equations for learning and modelling purposes. My main point was that the magnetic field lines do exist in our APVs.

With that said, I wholeheartedly approve of your attention to detail.

Stiiinger

Jul 11, 2014
Mississauga, Canada
BTW - Doesn't the Resistance of a Wire Change when the Temperature of the Wire Increases?

Absolutely. The higher the temperature, the higher the resistance. If I remember correctly, this is due to the molecules "wiggling" more as we introduce more energy, or temperate. More wiggle means there are more collisions with the moving electrons, hampering conductivity.

Temperature coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
True :) The simple example I mentioned assumes an infinitely long, straight, wire. But that's only to be able to simplify the equations for learning and modelling purposes. My main point was that the magnetic field lines do exist in our APVs.

With that said, I wholeheartedly approve of your attention to detail.

Thanks Stiiinger.

I was just Thinking about the "Right Hand Rule" and those God Awful Line Integrals when you mentioned that thing about Electrons in a Wire.

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I'm a visual learner. There are calculators online and apps, but I like the Power Wheel. I switched the quadrants around for fun, but all of the formulae are still correct.

P=Power (watts)
V=Volts
R=Resistance (ohms)
I=Current (amps)

It's the Law
utm.gif

I see what you did there.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Absolutely. The higher the temperature, the higher the resistance. If I remember correctly, this is due to the molecules "wiggling" more as we introduce more energy, or temperate. More wiggle means there are more collisions with the moving electronics, hampering conductivity.

Temperature coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't Want to Scare anyone. But Anytime there is a Partial Derivative in something, there is Usually a Dif-EQ Lurking around the Corner.

Can't I just Smash the Button Down? And if the Hit Isn't Good Enough, make the Number on the Screen Bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread