Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
What's the point of using different ohm coils and having the ability to change the voltage? What does changing the voltage do? What does changing the ohms do?

I don't think you received the answer you wanted and nor did I. The answers all had watts involved.

Papadragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
Omaha Nebraska
The voltage changes the wattage look at the ecig safe power chart it will exsplain it all .changing the volts higher ups the power makes the vape warmer and produces more vaper with changing the ohms lower you do not have to go as high with your voltage higher omhs needs more voltage more power read about ohm law !

Last edited:

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
Lower ohms produce more heat at lower voltage than a higher ohm coil. A 2.0 ohm carto with a 3.3 volt regulated Ego will produce more heat and vapor than a 3.0 ohm coil. Lower ohms will also drain your battery quicker. Low resistance, (ohms) are not recommended for ego style batteries, although I have used 1.5 ohm dual coils before on mine.

Voltage is used mostly to produce the vapor and taste you desire, raise the voltage for more taste and vaper, lower it if the juice taste burnt. On higher ohm coils you would run a higher voltage normally.

As for wattage being mentioned, it is almost impossible to talk about ohms and voltage without mentioning watts. Watts = Voltage squared, divided by resistance(ohms). 4 volts squared is 16, divided by a 2.5 ohm coil = 6.4 watts. 4 Volts squared=16, divided by a 2.0 ohm coil is 8 watts. Higher watts do the same thing as higher volts. It is all related.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Lower ohms produce more heat at lower voltage than a higher ohm coil. A 2.0 ohm carto with a 3.3 volt regulated Ego will produce more heat and vapor than a 3.0 ohm coil. Lower ohms will also drain your battery quicker. Low resistance, (ohms) are not recommended for ego style batteries, although I have used 1.5 ohm dual coils before on mine.

Voltage is used mostly to produce the vapor and taste you desire, raise the voltage for more taste and vaper, lower it if the juice taste burnt. On higher ohm coils you would run a higher voltage normally.

As for wattage being mentioned, it is almost impossible to talk about ohms and voltage without mentioning watts. Watts = Voltage squared, divided by resistance(ohms). 4 volts squared is 16, divided by a 2.5 ohm coil = 6.4 watts. 4 Volts squared=16, divided by a 2.0 ohm coil is 8 watts. Higher watts do the same thing as higher volts. It is all related.

Thanks that explains it all well.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you! That does explain it well! I know basically electrical stuff but didn't really understand enough to put it together. Thank you all!

I like to use the Analogy of a Light Bulb and a Dimmer Switch.

Buying Light Bulbs in Different Wattages is like Buying Attys/Clearos in Different Ohms. And the Dimmer Switch is like the Varable Voltage.

You can Adjust the Amount of Light (Vapor and Taste) to match Exactly what you are Looking for.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Disclaimer: This is the most simplistic explanation and is addressed to new vapers mostly or vapers who are happy within the recommended "just right" power zone (4.5-8.5 watts). If you are using dual coil atomizers or are interested in high wattage vaping, it's a different conversation altogether. :) You will also have to understand the concept of amp limits and how it applies to high power vaping.

Ohm's Law as it pertains to vaping is really not that complicated--and it's very useful when you want to know what you're doing.

Voltage and wattage are often misunderstood by new vapers. Wattage is the power (heat, sweet spot) that your PV (battery and atomizer) generates. Wattage = Voltage (of your battery) squared divided by Resistance (Ω) of your atomizer [P=V[SUP]2[/SUP]/R]. If you're not good at math, don't worry, use this easy calculator:

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Of course, if you own a VW (variable wattage) device, you don't really need this calculator because your device will do the math for you.

The wattage you want, especially at the beginning of your vaping career, should be somewhere between 4.5 and 8.5 Watts. Anything lower than 4.5 watts may not vaporize your juice properly and will not produce enough warmth and vapor. Anything above 8.5 watts increases the risk of burning the filler in your cartomizers (if you're using them) and even some juices, especially the delicate ones.

There are, of course, other variables, like eliquid and JDD (juice delivery devices) that you're using on your batteries. Seven watts on a filler type cartomizer may feel different than the same 7 watts on a fillerless clearomizer or a dripping atomizer. The same is true for different eliquids; tobaccos, chocolate and coffees generally require more wattage (heat), while fruit and other delicate flavors do better with less heat. Everyone's sweet spot is different--those are just very general guidelines.

If you want to know more, this is a good read:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-stuff-i-double-dog-dare-you.html#post9112897

Experiment and you'll find your own bliss in no time!

The chart below is a good guide to safe vaping, even though some think it's a bit conservative. The newer chart, created by TomCatt, can be viewed in post #(ref needed).

e-cigarette-volts-ohms-watts.png

Artifex75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
Chillicothe Oh
There is something on the Android app store (presumably something similar on the iPhone) that will calculate wattage for a given ohm and voltage and such. It helped me tremendously to be able to plug in numbers and see how the other values changed. I don't have my phone with me or I'd give you the exact name of the app, but i found it by searching for Ohm Calculator.

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
So with the new aspire bdc do I go by the 1.8ohm for my wattage calculation, or the 3.6ohm which is each coil? I've just been doing 1.8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
When you have resistors in parallel, like a dual coil setup, the formula is R1*R2/R1+R2. So two 3.6 ohm coils would have the total resistance of 1.8 ohms.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
So with the new aspire bdc do I go by the 1.8ohm for my wattage calculation, or the 3.6ohm which is each coil? I've just been doing 1.8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

When in doubt, start low and work your way up--just to be safe. The manufacturer recommends 3-5 volts. I'd start at 3.8v.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hi Kineard. Just for the record. Boge only makes two kinds of cartomizers--Standard Resistance (SR): 2.7-3.1ohm +/-0.2; Low Resistance (LR): 2.0-2.4ohm +/-0.2. I always check resistance with my multimeter and can confirm the LR Boge usually meter out at ~2.0Ω--I haven't used the new SR cartos in a while, but they used to measure 2.8-3.0Ω

Smoktech makes a 1.7Ω Resurrector cartomizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread