oil well spill event...there is more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Chico, california
so they are going to put a steel box over the under water well head, pump to awaiting tanker, sounds like a good idea....but i thought when oil come out of well there is gases...i guess there had to be for it to explode, but really is this going to work? or putting off the unavoidable worse spill hitting the coast longer...:confused:

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
AFAIK, they're in uncharted territory. I sure can't answer your questions, I only hope THEY know better than we do. IF not, we're screwed.

NCC: hasn't a clue as to handle a oil platform disaster, other than to not drill in a large body of water.
sign0170.gif
sign0180.gif
sign0135.gif

bassnut

Crumby Jokes
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
For God's sake. Save the oyster beds!

I semi-jest but I just love eating those little mollusks - on the half-shell!
On the long list of things I want to do before I croak is to visit the Acme Oyster House in New Orleans and stuff myself silly. None of this 1/2 dozen crap. Bring me 50! Without crude oil. I'll season 'em myself.

There's a lot of good hard working folk who's livelihoods are at great risk for years to come if this crude gets ashore.

TexasRain104

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2010
The State of Texas, USA
bassnut said:
For God's sake. Save the oyster beds!

I semi-jest but I just love eating those little mollusks - on the half-shell!
On the long list of things I want to do before I croak is to visit the Acme Oyster House in New Orleans and stuff myself silly. None of this 1/2 dozen crap. Bring me 50! Without crude oil. I'll season 'em myself.

There's a lot of good hard working folk who's livelihoods are at great risk for years to come if this crude gets ashore.
They better save the oysters. No oyster stew for christmas would drive me up a wall.

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
The dome they are planning to use is 4 stories high and weighs between 70 and 90 tons. So once it's in place, hopefully it's not going to move. Also it's not actually going over the well head. Here's a diagram I found showing the placement. And there are actually 3 separate leaks from this well. Isn't that just dandy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bassnut

Crumby Jokes
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
If its the line thats leaking why dont they use a tapping valve and sleeve.

photo_tapping_sleeve.jpg

I was wondering along the same line. I guess it would just be to easy.

A unit like that could be made in a hurry to fit most any situation. It must be a real mess down there. Not a leak in a pipe but...a lot of shredded everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread