Oklahoma lawmakers want to expand the definition of tobacco products

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_in_OK

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2013
San Antonio Texas
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Two Republican Oklahoma lawmakers plan to file legislation next year to prevent youth access to electronic cigarettes, or e-cigarettes.

Sen. Frank Simpson and Rep. Pat Ownbey say their bill will expand the definition of tobacco products to include all nicotine delivery products other than FDA-approved cessation aids.Oklahoma lawmakers want to end youth access to e-cigarettes | News OK

On a unrelated topic In the latter case, local officials testified TSET was dangling higher grants in return for a ban on vapor devices.

Last week, TSET’s push to forbid e-cigarettes on public property drew attention from Jennifer Palmer, a reporter for The Oklahoman. In 2013, for the first time since TSET was created by voter referendum in 2004, qualifications for the most lucrative TSET grants to municipal governments and other recipients were amended to include “smokeless tobacco products on all city-owned properties indoors and outdoors, including chewing tobacco and e-cigarettes.” Oklahoma State University Regents defend on-campus ban of e-cigarettes

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
There are two bills listed on the OK gov. site, HB2097 and S802. Scanned HB2097 and it appears simply to fold ecigs into existing law that prohibits tobacco sales to under 18s. Scanned a few pages of S802 and that one looks the same.

However, I did not open an account with OKlegislature.gov and so couldn't track either of these bills, but the House one shows it as passing the House but not the Senate. (Bill was voted on in early 2013.) So it may be dead and that's why they will re-introduce similar bills next year.

Their intent looks to be simply to prohibit sales to minors. Could find nothing nefarious otherwise, at least in the House bill.

Dave_in_OK

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2013
San Antonio Texas
Their intent looks to be simply to prohibit sales to minors. Could find nothing nefarious otherwise, at least in the House bill.

That is how the bill earlier this year started out and then changed into something completely different.

Added: Sen. Frank Simpson is the same-one that sponsored the earlier bill.

Last edited:

Dave_in_OK

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2013
San Antonio Texas
More information about what is going on in Oklahoma.

Of course every fact they give is wrong a half truth or mis-representation and I will contact each named in the stories as well as my own State Rep and Senator. I will as politely as I can question their true motives.

: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152101759749265&id=258848879264

"Simpson, R-Ardmore, stated in a press release the legislation will expand the definition of tobacco products to include all nicotine delivery products, like e-cigarettes and vapor products. The changes will be made under the Prevention of Youth Access to Tobacco Act and will not apply to Federal Drug Administration approved cessation aids. The change of the definition under the Act will also include restrictions on advertising and the display of electronic cigarettes, said Simpson in an email.

The Oklahoma State Department of Health Policy Director Mark Newman had stated the sale of electronic cigarettes, e-cigarettes, to minors was a priority for the department.

Commissioner of Health Terry Cline said more research needs to be conducted on e-cigarettes and vapor products and long-term effects on health.

“…But, we know from existing research that they emit more than just water vapor,” Cline said. “Research shows that users and bystanders are exposed to nicotine, chemicals and other tobacco contaminants in the vapor.” "

And: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152101753959265&id=258848879264

"Health board sets legislative agenda, approves rules

The Oklahoma State Department of Health will focus on several tobacco related issues and tax credits for storm shelters or safe-rooms during the upcoming legislative session, said Mark Newman, director of state and federal policy.

One of the tobacco related focuses is requiring prospective renters of a multi-housing unit to receive a disclosure if smoking is permitted on the property. The disclosure would specify locations where smoking is permitted. Currently a similar disclosure is required when potential toxins that result from methamphetamine was found to be manufactured in a unit of a multi-unit complex. The other tobacco related issue pertains to restricting the sale of electronic cigarettes."

Dave_in_OK

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2013
San Antonio Texas
Oklahoma Gov Puff patrol: Fallin plans action on electronic cigarettes | The Journal Record What that action will be I don't know. I sent CASAA a link to the article and requested help. I have also sent Gov Fallin a tweet and of course I will be calling e-mailing etc. Her twitter address is @GovMaryFallin

UPDATE I have been told that Gov Fallin will be banning E-cigs on state property on Monday!

Last edited:

Dave_in_OK

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2013
San Antonio Texas
Here's some of what Gov Faillin had to say:

" Fallin said recent popularity of e-cigarettes and vaping devices are a concern because they are unregulated products and the long-term health impacts are unknown.

“E-cigarettes release vapor that contains chemicals that can impact employees and visitors to state property,” she said. “Additionally, many electronic cigarettes look like traditional cigarettes and emit a vapor that looks like smoke. This creates confusion for employees and visitors and presents enforcement challenges for state agencies.”

Fallin made the e-cigarette ban effective Jan. 1 to give state employees time to consider taking steps toward tobacco cessation.

“If you’re a state employee who smokes or uses e-cigarettes, I encourage you to make quitting your New Year’s resolution,” said Fallin. “We have resources at your disposal to help you quit.”

sad day for Oklahoma vapers.:mad:

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Please note that Fallin signed an executive order (not a bill) banning e-cig use on state property, and she repeated false claims by her appointees/staff at the OK Health Dept about e-cig vapor.

Nothing like protecting cigarettes by falsely claiming to protect public health.

It will be interesting to see how much money her state gets from TSET, and who her biggest financial supporters are in upcoming elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread