Old dog, new trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
Just wanted to do a fly-by hello to everyone. Just joined the site yesterday and plan on being around a while. Seems like a nice bunch of folks around here. I guess the main thing to know is that I'm 62 and smoked cigarettes for about 48 years. The last year or two I was up to a pack and a half to two packs a day. Last Saturday, I bought an eleaf, istick basic, the lady at the vape shop mixed me up some magic elixir, and I haven't had a cigarette since. A full week this morning. Funny thing is, it hasn't really been that tough since I'm vaping about 3-4ml a day of 24mg nicotine. So far, so good.

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
Thanks, all. Susan, I really like the Istick basic for the price and the simplicity. In fact, I stopped by there today and got another one so I'll have a backup. I'm determined to avoid cigarettes if I have to put one of these things in every room in the house.

Funny thing is, I really wasn't planning to actually quit smoking. I was curious about vaping and mostly looking for a way to cut back on cigarettes to save money. I liked the vaping so much that I just accidentally quit smoking.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Just wanted to do a fly-by hello to everyone. Just joined the site yesterday and plan on being around a while. Seems like a nice bunch of folks around here. I guess the main thing to know is that I'm 62 and smoked cigarettes for about 48 years. The last year or two I was up to a pack and a half to two packs a day. Last Saturday, I bought an Eleaf, Istick basic, the lady at the vape shop mixed me up some magic elixir, and I haven't had a cigarette since. A full week this morning. Funny thing is, it hasn't really been that tough since I'm vaping about 3-4ml a day of 24mg nicotine. So far, so good.
Bravo Mike. I smoked a long time too. I was a dual user for 6 weeks. A brother of mine dual used for 9 months before he went to zero cigs. I'm interested in your experience with the Basic. I got my boss' boss' boss vaping a couple of weeks ago. I haven't followed up with him it yet. I got him the Basic because the tank is proven and it's a small package. My goals are to have a quality vape for a trivial amount of money and help end the Tobacco Age.

And once you go to zero cigs you're entitled to a backup device, which you've got I see above.

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
Thomas, I think I'm lucky that in my small town I have a vape shop where the owner is very serious about it. She said she and her partner researched for eight months before opening the shop, mostly finding the best ingredients. They do a lot of their own mixing, and I've already found several that I like. Maybe I'll get into DIY some day, but for now I'm glad to have someone do the work for me.

Reactions: Susan~S

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Thanks, all. Susan, I really like the Istick basic for the price and the simplicity. In fact, I stopped by there today and got another one so I'll have a backup. I'm determined to avoid cigarettes if I have to put one of these things in every room in the house.

Funny thing is, I really wasn't planning to actually quit smoking. I was curious about vaping and mostly looking for a way to cut back on cigarettes to save money. I liked the vaping so much that I just accidentally quit smoking.

I quit on a whim myself. A neighbor had showed me his vape a few months earlier and one day when I was buying "cartons" of cigs I bought a cheap vape... 12 days later I was off the cigs and haven't looked back.

Welcome to the forum Mike.

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
@sofarsogood If he is having the same experience with the Basic as I am having, you did well in choosing it for him. It could not be simpler, and he is probably, like me, just looking for a nice little delivery system that gets the job done. As I said in an earlier post, I went back to the shop today bought another one as a backup. Perhaps the day will come when I want a bigger tank than the 2ml that comes with the Basic. That's not even a consideration right now, though.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS

Funny how that happens. I was 60 and a 3 pad smoker when I started vaping 3 1/2 years ago...on a whim. Just hoped to cut down and ended up quitting in 3 days. Not feeling so much like an old dog anymore.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
@sofarsogood If he is having the same experience with the Basic as I am having, you did well in choosing it for him. It could not be simpler, and he is probably, like me, just looking for a nice little delivery system that gets the job done. As I said in an earlier post, I went back to the shop today bought another one as a backup. Perhaps the day will come when I want a bigger tank than the 2ml that comes with the Basic. That's not even a consideration right now, though.
All that matters for some months to come is putting as much distance between you and cigarettes as possible. As long as you like your setup stick with it. My brother started with a Nautilus mini and an iStick 20 at 7 watts 14 months ago. He finally got a back up Nautilus mini and an iStick 40. He vapes at 12 watts. I believe the Basic runs at about 15 watts. I vaped 24 mg nic for a while. After some months I backed it down to 12 mg and vape 7 ml per day. I think beginners should keep nic on the high side because they can't vape that many ml's. For perspective the smoke in one cigarette exposes you to about 1 mg of nic. I'm sure I have more nic in my system than when I was smoking. It's pleasant. I'm calmer than I used to be (and I write more jokes).

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
OK, here's my first dumb question for you guys. I want to put one of those counters in my signature to show how many days since I quit smoking etc. I have the code, and it says to go to my profile and put the code in the Edit Signature box. I cannot find that box anywhere. Any ideas?

ETA: Figured it out. I'll leave it here in case some other newbie sees it and avoids the same mistake. You have to have five posts before you can add a signature. I had read that but forgot it. Ironically, the post asking how to edit the signature was my fifth one.

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
OK, here's my first dumb question for you guys. I want to put one of those counters in my signature to show how many days since I quit smoking etc. I have the code, and it says to go to my profile and put the code in the Edit Signature box. I cannot find that box anywhere. Any ideas?
I think you have to have 5 posts and then wait for the servers to update at :25 past the hour. Give it another 5 minutes and then see if the box is there.

Reactions: MikeADore

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Welcome to the ECF Mike, and congrats on giving up the smokes! You're in good company here and no question is a dumb one, so ask away when you need to.

What you said below gave me a chuckle. I think it's true of a large number of people, and I betcha no one ever said that about the nic gum, patches, inhalers, etc. Gotta love it...vaping that is. :)

I liked the vaping so much that I just accidentally quit smoking.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
Welcome aboard Mike....I was 8 years shy of smoking for 48 years.

I quit smoking immediately by vaping, after trying everything known to mankind, including hypnosis and acupuncture....nothing worked.

Vaping was and still is nothing short of a miracle. After a year and half not smoking, I can go hours upon hours without even thinking about vaping, from 24 mg nic to 3 mg.

Good luck, and congratulations...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread