Old news? Orbtronic bans vaping use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerodan

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2020
AZ
This may not be news (apologies if it's old), but it was new to me... Orbtronic states now that they (Samsung and LG) have banned use of their batteries in vapes. Now - how on Earth they'd know what the use is, I don't know... and really, whatever...

...their statement below:

9910E922-7A4F-41B4-BD94-817B4E47BEE1.jpeg

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Now - how on Earth they'd know what the use is, I don't know...
Well you told them what the intended use was!

The reply is: CYA. Two likely reasons.

1) He doesn't want the liability exposure of knowingly having sold batteries to someone who is using them for a purpose that the cell manufacturers don't approve of.

2) He doesn't want the FDA coming after him for selling batteries because knowingly selling them for that purpose makes them a "tobacco product".

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Well you told them what the intended use was!

The reply is: CYA. Two likely reasons.

1) He doesn't want the liability exposure of knowingly having sold batteries to someone who is using them for a purpose that the cell manufacturers don't approve of.

2) He doesn't want the FDA coming after him for selling batteries because knowingly selling them for that purpose makes them a "tobacco product".
Sounds like I need to get more informed on current events. I managed to blissfully order batteries online without knowing any of this. I’ve still got a multi month supply of stuff, but I’m going to want stuff soon. I don’t use PG at all which I understand there are now issues with (how do they even control that? It’s a cooking ingredient amongst hundreds of other uses) but I’ll need VG, safe flavorings and safe PG eventually. Wire I assume can’t be dealt with nor can cotton balls.

Any suggestions on what I should read?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I managed to blissfully order batteries online without knowing any of this.
I'm confident I could order batteries from Orbtronic too, if I simply didn't mention the purpose for which I was planning to use them.
I don’t use PG at all which I understand there are now issues with
I'm not aware of any issues getting PG other than the fact that the price has gone up.

• Agree
Reactions: thanswr1

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Retailers and manufactures can't "ban" anything (although they can make them hard to get - COUGH+LG+COUGH)

Also, there is no use in asking a battery retailer what batteries are best for a vape mod, they will not have a clue. Mooch has already done all the work for you.

Consult his list of battery tests if you are looking for info on a specific battery.

If you just want to know what batteries are decent for vaping, consult his list of recommended batteries for regulated and unreglated mods, choose which one is right for you and just buy (preferably at one of the stores on Mooch's list of recommended retailers found on his blog's homepage).

It's also important to note while Samsung and LG do target vaping (that's political), they actually want to get their cells out of the hands of all consumers, not just vapers. These cells are not designed/manufactured for use in anything but to be installed inside power packs with protection circuitry. But they cannot stop you from using these batts in anyway you wish if you can manage to get your hands on them.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I'm confident I could order batteries from Orbtronic too, if I simply didn't mention the purpose for which I was planning to use them.

I'm not aware of any issues getting PG other than the fact that the price has gone up.
    heard someone saying it had become hard to get. I dunno. Supply chains roll funny for everybody. Struck me as odd too. I have no idea how or where it’s made.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    That's been a case with almost all the battery spots for quite some time now. A few years, at the very least.

I just order them (and actually did just ordered them, not long ago). No reason for them to know what they're used for. I also order protected batts for my flashlights, so...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread