Samgung 25R short lifespan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
batteries keep their endurance longer if they are discharged and/or recharged at lower rates Pushing them to the max in either charging or recharging shortens endurance faster

And in your expert opinion, how hard is my wife pushing her 20A batteries running a 2.2ohm coil at 7.5W drawing a mere 1.85A?

Hard enough that they wouldn't even last through a single 3ml tank after just 8 months?

And if so, then why are her 2 year old 10A batteries still lasting almost a day and a half for her, near double the time of the 25R? Shouldn't the lower 10 amp 2500mAh batteries with 3 times as many charge/discharge cycles on them have a significantly shorter life running under identical conditions?

For the record, I wire networks and deal with battery backup systems for a living. I've also got extensive experience with wiring electrical systems and determining battery and alternator requirements in cars. I've also been vaping for more than 3 years. I know how batteries work, and these 25Rs have less than half the lifespan of any other battery that I've ever used. I've got 2 year old VTC4 2100 mAh batteries that hold a charge better than my 7 month old 2500 mAh 25Rs, with both sets being used in the same mod with the same tanks and coils.

In just 7 months these 25Rs are ready to be thrown away. I've NEVER had a set of batteries from any other manufacturer last less than a year, and even after a year every other set I've owned holds a charge better than these. And clearly from the previous comments, I'm not alone in that.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
did you read the first two sentences of my post?Sure you can do lab testing but unless you used the batteries exactly as they were tested the results would be meaningless.

Did you even read my response?

Yes, your individual use would alter how long a charge lasted for you compared to the tests, but it would NOT alter Battery A lasting twice as long as Battery B under identical conditions.

If Battery A lasts twice as long as Battery B in the test then Battery A will last twice as long as Battery B in your setup as well. How long both batteries hold a charge and how long they last per charge will be different, but the difference in their total lifespan will NOT change.

As long as you're using both batteries the same then the difference in their lifespan will mirror the test. You may push the batteries harder and get fewer charge cycles from both sets of batteries, but the difference between the two batteries will remain consistent as long as your use of both sets is also consistent.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
And in your expert opinion, how hard is my wife pushing her 20A batteries running a 2.2ohm coil at 7.5W drawing a mere 1.85A?

Hard enough that they wouldn't even last through a single 3ml tank after just 8 months?

And if so, then why are her 2 year old 10A batteries still lasting almost a day and a half for her, near double the time of the 25R? Shouldn't the lower 10 amp 2500mAh batteries with 3 times as many charge/discharge cycles on them have a significantly shorter life running under identical conditions?

For the record, I wire networks and deal with battery backup systems for a living. I've also got extensive experience with wiring electrical systems and determining battery and alternator requirements in cars. I've also been vaping for more than 3 years. I know how batteries work, and these 25Rs have less than half the lifespan of any other battery that I've ever used. I've got 2 year old VTC4 2100 mAh batteries that hold a charge better than my 7 month old 2500 mAh 25Rs, with both sets being used in the same mod with the same tanks and coils.

In just 7 months these 25Rs are ready to be thrown away. I've NEVER had a set of batteries from any other manufacturer last less than a year, and even after a year every other set I've owned holds a charge better than these. And clearly from the previous comments, I'm not alone in that.
I believe there is a trade off with these batteries where the number of recharges and/or endurance is sacrificed for higher max amps. I keep my watts at 30 or below in part so I can use batteries with more endurance and recharge cycles but lower max amps like HG2's.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I believe there is a trade off with these batteries where the number of recharges and/or endurance is sacrificed for higher max amps. I keep my watts at 30 or below in part so I can use batteries with more endurance and recharge cycles but lower max amps like HG2's.

And how many amps did I say my wife was drawing from these 20A batteries?

The answer is right there in the first sentence.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I believe this is why the 25R2 was revised, industry wide (not just vaping) there were many reports of inadequate battery life.
The 25R5 seems to be an improvement.

I rarely demand more than 10.5a from a Samsung 25r, usually 3.5a to 6.5ish amps.
The 25r2’s I spoke of in my previous post showed significant signs of reduced capacity by August, by Nov completely useless.
Every summer I have batteries drop like flies, due to heat stress.

Across the board, all manufactures ship ‘bad’ batches from time to time.
Battery/cell QC is not at all what most folks seem to believe / want to believe.

Not speaking of you / your use;
Another reason staying 20% ~ 50% below CDR using any cell is always a good idea.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
And how many amps did I say my wife was drawing from these 20A batteries?

The answer is right there in the first sentence.
I was reciting conventional wisdom, not intending to disparage your knowledge or practices.

According to my coil calculator I'm drawing about 5 amps when the HG2 is rated for 20. I'm glad I got an appreciation of this issue before relyinig on my own judgement for what batteries to buy. My first purchase of that kind of product relied on vape shop advice. Since then I'm confident buying these products without BW guidance. What I've decided about mechs is I won't be going there regardless of my knowledge and skill, just not worth it.

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
My apologies to the OP and All in this Thread (as well as some/A Mod(s)s & Admin(s) of this Site) for my Posts seemingly were perceived by some/a few as "Derailing".

The Tootsie Pop Example/Comments were meant strictly as an Analogy as to the highly subjective Nature of Battery "Life" & Longevity. Nothing more or less and definitely not intended as subversive or posted to "torpedo". Actually, I still consider it to be quite "On Point" and in keeping with the Thread's Origination and Evolution. But, this ain't my Show and I am merely a Pawn in the Game of ECF Life so given the Order to Stand-Down,,, I will comply.

It is an inarguable Fact that such (same as with the above Analogy) contains far too many variables to objectively make any logical or sensible Judgment or Verdict. As has been pointed out by others as well in this Thread. Given that Truth, to place the 25R on wholesale Trial and summarily convict is a "less than prudent" Action.
Obviously, there are some that have had less than desirable results with the 25R. Likewise and equally obvious is that others have had a quite satisfactory experience and more than acceptable performance from the same Model Battery.
To each their own and Rock On with impunity with whatever Batt you chose, laud, and/or espouse.

Personally, Zero Issues and :thumbs: so far on multiple 25R's, in multiple Mods (Mechs and VV/VW/TC), with multiple Settings attached to multiple Atties for multiple Months.
They will remain in my Armory (amongst their LG counterparts) and I'm sure more will come in the future.

Have an awesome Day All. Vape On & Enjoy regardless of what Batt is loaded in your Rig ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread