Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I see some discrepancies on "regulated battery" of OP. Worse yet - I see overly suspicious folks questioning the validity of the kind and embarrassed OP announcing an explosion. WHY? It unfolds slowly and the OP admits "I made a mistake" - using incorrect charger. Admitting possible "Operator Error" . New guy trying to learn so I am reading carefully.

I see this time and time again as I read to learn. Post is started by a well meaning member and suddenly they questioned or flat out accused of being a "liar or troll". Reading all the posts IS tough - admittedly so - but the information between the start and end usually contains THE FACTS. FISHEEBOY was reporting what happened but was essentially accused of no tbeing truthful. WHY? Maybe I am SO NEW I don't get it? Look at how it unfolded ---- select posts yes ---- but, damn - if LEARNING is why these posts are here --- WHY NOT READ ALL OF THEM AND GET THE FULL PICTURE?

OP: ----->"It was a Kgo (note: NOT an eGo) 1100mah regulated voltage." ----->I thought KGO 1100mAh are unregulated batteries 1.5ohm capable? KGO SAYS: " Voltage is not regulated to 3.5v or below... this is a full voltage model, giving you the performance of large "mod" style e-cigarettes in the convenient eGo form factor. (Looks like an eGo regulated - but is NOT .... it is a KGO UNregulated. Takes CHARGER specifically designed for KGO battery> (??)

OP ----->"I was using a charger that came with a different starter kit I got a long time ago. same threading so I thought it would be okay." ------> and KGO SAYS: "KGO is compatible with most all 510 style chargers. But they do not work with JoyeTtech brand eGo chargers.

OP IS QUESTIONED AS IF LYING -----> "Glad your ok, sounded quite scary, just need pics & alot (sic)of infos (sic) though. Alot (sic) of frauds trolling with battery explosion stories as a scare tactics out there."-------------> Would one cut the OP some slack? It just happened; not everyone is a "fraud". Why accuse of being one?

OP------."I promise I'm gonna get some pics. I really think it exlpoded because I was using the wrong charger. I would never BS about something so serious and dangerous."------------- Getting someplace now? Operator error? Mistake -- no human damage thankfully.

OP ADDS: -----"I am feeling pretty embarrassed because I'm thinking it could have been avoided had I used the charger that originally came with it. But I think it's super important to put this out there in hope that others will not make the mistake I think I made." ------ OP again admits possible 'Operator Error' and shows further concern others may make the same mistake. Seems very NICE to me.

OP SHOWS MORE CONCERN AND RECOMMENDS: -----."I recommend people seriously consider getting a charging bag. I've charged from my computer many times with the battery just laying here on the table and my mom sitting right next to me. Damn!"

ANOTHER KIND MEMBER HAS READ AND CONCLUDES: -------, "Hi Fishee, I'm glad that you're ok and your house is fine. Lesson learned the hard way huh? It's very important that you charge batteries with chargers that are made for that battery. -------- For those that think this is a trolling post.....SMH (Kind comment) ---------- Accidents do happen to nice people. Maybe take this opportunity to educate about battery safety and the importance of using the correct chargers for the different devices. Explain how just because something fits, does not necessarily mean that it is safe. ------------>EXPLAINS LESSON FOR ALL ... NEW AND OLD ALIKE. (Thanks Robino1).

THEN 'OP' SEES A FRIENDLY FACE: "Thank you Robin it's really good to see a friendly face. I posted this at first because of the shock of it. Then when it started to sink in that I was likely the the cause I only wanted to get this stuff out there for the sake of those who are making or getting ready to make the same mistake i did. This is by far the most serious thing that has ever happened to me since I started vaping." -------- OP obviously felt until Robino1 - perhaps validity of "explosion" was questioned?? Seems to me it surely unnecessarily was questioned! Why so? Especially so early on in the progression of what happened?

THEN SOME DON'T READ WHAT TYPE OF BATTERY WAS INVOLVED: ----------> "Thanks for posting as I have an ego and I am going to charge it in a plug where is not high traffic around here." ----------> KGO is an "eGo TYPE" and there are many, yes? No? --------> I am still trying to LEARN here.

OP AGAIN CONFIRMS IT WAS OPERATOR ERROR: -----> "Uh, there aint much I could do to test it. It's very melted and burnt. once I get the pics posted you'll see what I mean. It's one of those without the wire. It's like just one piece where one end is usb and the other end with the threading. It was originally for a cigalike kit I have. I hate to even admit that, because something in my gut wasn't comfortable. But this is also why I'm almost 100% SURE IT WAS MY FAULT. Another warning for all of US --- even the "pros".

ANOTHER KIND MEMBER THANKS OP: ----------> "Agree... this was an important post. I'm glad OP is ok, and we can learn from what happened and from the discussion. I had never heard of a LiPo bag but I do plan to get one now. I often leave my batteries on the charger overnight and sometimes when I'm not home... but never will again. Who knows how many accidents or even worse, this post has saved. I'm glad it was shared. Again Fishee, glad you and yours are safe."

LESSON LEARNED: ---------> "Yeah, I hate to agree but sadly I have to. Don't beat yourself up, just take it as a lesson. Don't keep thinking about what might have's. Just think thank god you weren't sleeping through this. Ok? You nor your loved ones are hurt. You know the why so now you know what not to do again. Right?"

ANOTHER CONFIRMED LESSON LEARNED BY OP AND ESPECIALLY ME - THE NEW GUY: -------->"See, I thought same threads so why not? I just hate being scared of my other battery now."

BUT THEN: "Too bad it burned. I suppose you could find output specs on charger to see if within specs of your batt. I'm not sure it was your fault."

BUT -- OBVIOUSLY THE OP STILL FEELS BAD OVER THE "LYING / TROLL" SUGGESTION: ----------> "Thank you so much Robin. your kindness and understanding is greatly appreciated by me. It kinda ticks me off that some folks would assume that this is me trolling. I can't even imagine someone doing that but sadly it would appear that it has happened." -------> Thankfully ROBIN had bee sharp enough to kill the "liar/troll" aspect being implied.

AND ANOTHER REASSURANCE AND 'REASON' FOR THE UNCALLED FOR "LIAR/TROLL' SUGGESTION: ----"There HAVE been people who troll like this in the past. Please just try to be patient with those who automatically jump to conclusions. It's the nature of the internet, I'm afraid."

AND A POSSIBLE REASON FOR 'EXPLOSION" CONFIRMED?" --------->"Cig-a-like Charger 180ma. to 250ma. Your Battery charges off 420-500ma. Likely the charger fried, overloaded and supercharged the battery overheating and expanding to the point it ruptured."

AND THEN ANOTHER WHO READ THE OP .... AND BATTERY TYPE: -----------> "You said it was a KGO 1100, correct? (NOT an eGO) That battery is meant to only be charged from the mini usb port on the bottom end. I f you used an ego style charger that screws onto the other end, you screwed up! (OP NOW KNOWS THAT - BUT AT LEAST YA READ THE BATTERY TYPE) Use the usb cord that came with the battery.

AND THEN ANOTHER INSULT!: ------> "pics or it didnt happen".

THANKFULLY ROBINI1 WAS AS TICKED AS I: ----------> "Really? The guy is just recovering from a scary accident and posted his phone doesn't take pictures. He also said that he would try to get pictures up."

THEN THE OP DID JUST THAT AND POSTED PICTURE: As indicated would happen at the beginning of the fiasco!

AND THEN .... AS EXPECTED ..... SOMEONE DID NOT "READ": -----"Looks like you're using a 510 stick battery charger rather than an ego charger....did that charger come with an ego started kit or?" --------- This happens so often is it any wonder there is no continuity in discussion?

AND STILL ANOTHER: -----------> "Im particulary concerned about this because passed my eGo batteries to my girl when she started vaping." ------------ The "explosion" was a KGO .......... "looks like"....... but isn't. It's in Post Number 1.

AND THEN THE PANIC: ------------> Im giving serious tought (sic)about telling my girl to discontinue use of that ego battery." --------> Another member who doesn't know the battery OR charger involved. Misinformation will spread like wildfire.

And more misunderstanding from mot READING: --------> "Wonder if the instructions warn against this potential explosive screw up?
I have a feeling the explosion part would be hard to duplicate if batt and charger is not defective. Otherwise, manufacturers instead of sub-ohmers may ruin vaping for everyone. ---------> OPERATOR ERROR AND ADMITTED AS AN AN HONEST MISTAKE. Not a defective charger. The WRONG CHARGER. OP realizer the error too late.

FISHEEBOY I WOULD HOPE SO TOO - BUT MANY WON'T BECAUSE THEY DID NOT READ THE PROGRESSION OF "YOUR" MOST KIND POSTS: ------> "I definitely learned some very valuable lessons today and will be a better and safer vaporist because of it. I sure hope other folks can take something positive away from my experience today."

OBSERVANT MEMBER SAYS ------> "Good bit of misinformation and perhaps fear-mongering going on here......." ---------> And it would be avoided by READING ALL THE POSTS and not SKIPPING WHAT REALLY HAPPENED.

READ BADITUDES POST NUMBER 150 ........... But alas ......... not many will. They only know an "eGo" (no matter if a REAL eGo or a "eGo STYLE/ TYPE" was involved. It was either the OP was a "liar, a troll or sor whatever". Thankfully the OP was not hurt, KNOWS the reason the battery exploded and won't make the sane MISTAKE again. Combine that with SUPERB SUPPORT FROM THE FEW WHO READ THE REASON and the OP is to be THANKED for having the gumption to share a mistake even the 'pros' could make. Call me blunt - but some people jump to far too many conclusions.

RICKAJHO THE OP SURELY DID! --------------"Haven't got to the end of this thread yet to see if anyone else picked up on the "any old charger" scenario. Regardless, this bears repeating - only use a charger designed to go with the battery you purchased." AND ADMITTED THE ERROR.

Call me a dumb new guy. Banish me for even speaking up. But I see this time and time again and were it nor for the good folks who address the ISSUE in it's entirety figuring out if researching these issues is worth the time would be tough. WHY IMMEDIATELY QUESTION THE MESSENGER? What am I missing?

FISHEEBOY and the others who addressed this factually ---- THANK YOU. I doubt I will ever make the mistake that prompted this topic needing to be created at all ............. "OPERATOR ERROR" and "LESSON LEARNED".

Tom ........ the one week old ECF and vaping "new guy" who might get tossed for "questioning the madness". I hope NOT. All I did was READ and then comment ............ not the reverse ..... if some READ at all.

:blink: I read that entire thing and by the time I got from beginning to end... I lost track of the point being made.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I probably should just let this go unsaid, however, I will be specific - not confrontational. I am definitely not flexing muscles. :)

I "blew things up" as part of my "job". I am familiar with "loud". The composition of that 'battery' and the potential degree of 'noise' it might or might not make is nothing when compared to the potential damage it 'could have' caused. I suspect under the right conditions it could well equal or exceed that of the .22 caliber you note.

By the way. In New Jersey is a 'permit' required simply to have a picture of firearm such as your 'P6'? No Governor Christie in 2016 I hope! Talk about "battery failure and loudness"!

And another round of 'Thank You' to the folks who explained the reason behind the 'challenge' of this 'explosion'. I suppose there will be more I do not understand as I read more and more (unless less and less is a BETTER idea??). I do make note of the 'good guys and gals' who have helped me over the past week. It has helped a lot.

Tom

Eventually as you delve further, more and more will make sense. You will get to that point. You just have to remember to not sweat the small stuff. Things you have no control over. Treat people the way you would like to be treated and when you get to be an old timer here, remember how it felt to be a newbie to the forum. :)

The benefit of the doubt until it is proved otherwise should really be employed more often than it currently is. But it is what it is.

I don't believe there is such a thing as too much knowledge when you start a new thing. Information overload is always a risk. I don't understand battery chemistry and doubt I ever will, but I do practice safe battery charging and always go with what is recommended by those that DO understand such stuff. You learn, by reading, who to trust to know what they're talking about.

:)

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Cig-a-like Charger
180ma. to 250ma.

Your Battery charges off 420-500ma.

Likely the charger fried, overloaded and supercharged the battery overheating and expanding to the point it ruptured.

the charger ma out put has nothing to do with the batteries mah out put.
a charger with a lower ma out put just takes longer to charge a battery than one
that can put out more power.
charging a battery is more a function of applied voltage.
apply a voltage greater than the batteries voltage to allow current flow.
the higher the voltage over the batteries mean voltage the quicker it will charge.
this of course depends on the design and features built into the charger.
if it can only out put a small amount of current it will take longer.
a properly designed charger will apply enough voltage over the batteries rated voltage
to charge it faster and safer.
a basic trickle charger just out puts the batteries rated voltage.when the voltages equalize
current flow stops and charging is complete.it takes a long time though.

regards
mike

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
And another one today even:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/halo/529030-ruined-battery-g6-charger.html

Battery didn't explode in this case, but using the incorrect charger did kill the battery and render it non functional. And this one, sadly, is still being done by people with batteries and chargers from a site where they go out of their way to tell the user DO NOT charge "this" battery with "that" charger. And they still do it - with predictable results.

And while I'm on the topic: Blu batteries are 510 threaded, so that means you can just mix and match any old 510 batteries and a different charger - right? BZZZZT!!! WRONG!!! Blu uses reverse polarity from the standard for 510 batteries and chargers. Putting a Blu battery on any other charger is a great way to kill or explode a Blu battery.

whoah! blu is pretty common; meltdowns from that probably happen alot;

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Im particulary concerned about this because passed my eGo batteries to my girl when she started vaping. Those batteries an nearly 2 years old! She lost one in a cab, but is still using the other one.
I wouldnt like that thing blowing up on her!
These are autentic joyetech eGo-C batteries, and she is charging it with a jenuine joyetech charger. I just went thru the user manual of the ego-c, but cant find any reference to a venting safety feature on the batteries!

I agree with you that the bottom seems kinda weak, i want to belive that this is by design, to act as a weak spot in case of venting.
i wouldn't worry to much.if ego batteries were a real threat half of us would be in the hurt locker.
there just as safe as any other product.
regards
mike

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
Just thought is add, for all those not using any type of safety device ie charger Bag, or are in the process of buying one your Kitchen has many items in it that can be used until u acquire the proper items.

Any pot or pan that you can sit the battery in while charging, a glass or ceramic casserole dish etc etc etc, please use something that won't catch fire while charging. A tin cookie can a candy tin can etc etc.....

Yes since yesterday I've invested into a charger bag company stocks. Ty.

Also for those that have 18650 batteries etc, u can buy holders for these for storage. Or use the above as a temp measure, and always make sure if u use a container it's vented, u can use a drill bit to drill them or a hammer and nail etc etc.

Glad your ok OP, Ty for sharing.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
OK battery experts, I see two things in this thread that cause me concern about my own habits:

1. My ego came with usb charger but no wall plug. I plug it into my AC/USB adapter from my Kindle. Is this bad?

2. I always use my ego until it dies, completely, then recharge it. Is this also bad? If so, how long should it be used instead before re-charging?

your kindle charger is fine.
letting your battery run down is ok too.they were designed for this.some people say
topping your battery off before running it out will improve its over all life.
either way your ok.
regards
mike

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
i wouldn't worry to much.if ego batteries were a real threat half of us would be in the hurt locker.
there just as safe as any other product.
regards
mike

Agree ^
The danger becomes more pronounced when when chargers are used on devices not made for that particular battery. Anything has the potential to fail. Care must be taken to ensure this potential is kept to a minimum. Use correct chargers, inspect the device for damage.

I used eGo batteries and charger for the eGo for months before getting tired of losing my vaping device while waiting for it to charge. Add to that wanting a longer battery life.....that's the only reason I'm not still using my eGo's. They are a great battery for what they do.

Vapor Vinny

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Lawrence, Kansas
No. No. I will not bite. I will not.

Tom
Doesn't matter if you bite. It's already happening. So, you know, don't bite.

Any reason you give the government to "ensure" your safety, or otherwise "protect" you from yourself, is one they will act on. Particularly when the industry in question is taking massive amounts of tax revenue away from said government.

But yeah man, I'm just trolling. Nothing I said makes sense.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Reading comprehension :lol:

Sorry, I had to laugh.....the irony just hit me wrong... I'm still chuckling. :laugh:

Sweetie I know you better than that - you never get the irony wrong.:wub:

Actually I'm rather amazed that this place even exists at all and hasn't collapsed under the weight of it's own... apparent not goodness. There sure have been a lot of noobies showing up in the last week, pointing out everything that is wrong here and must be changed. Is there a forum comprehension class out there? Perhaps we need to start with rule one: Read the first 1,000,000 posts on ECF before commenting on who is and who isn't posting appropriately.

Vapor Vinny

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Lawrence, Kansas
;)
Uh huh, you got it. Sometimes you just have to bite your tongue. Did I ever say that I only have a half tongue? Yeah, I've bitten it so much....... Just kidding! :laugh:

I tend to 'Like' posts that refute silly things. :D
I know right. I'm just way off base. It's not like the USPS hasn't already acted on the shipping of lithium ion batteries or anything like that. If you can find a safer delivery system, then you should. Or, we can just roll with the status quo. See where that gets us.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Sweetie I know you better than that - you never get the irony wrong.:wub:

Actually I'm rather amazed that this place even exists at all and hasn't collapsed under the weight of it's own... apparent not goodness. There sure have been a lot of noobies showing up in the last week, pointing out everything that is wrong here and must be changed. Is there a forum comprehension class out there? Perhaps we need to start with rule one: Read the first 1,000,000 posts on ECF before commenting on who is and who isn't posting appropriately.

:lol: and :wub: back at ya!

Sometimes things just just need to be said. I've been wanting to rant about reading comprehension for well over a year. So I had to applaud the well thought out and put together, WITH posts, example. ;) I don't think that has been done before. :laugh: I have to give kudos for the visual aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread