On the lighter side . . . this doesn't help our cause

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trailz

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2014
NE OH US
If you're concerned about PG in low temps, fear no more. vape on!
205Yl5L.png

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
It's old news that 'antifreeze' carries a negative connotation amongst those that are ignorant about it. Antifreeze, by definition, is something that lowers the freezing point of a liquid. Whether it's employed in mechanical or physiological systems, it's certainly a beneficial thing.

All (or most) alcohols are antifreeze agents. People seem to quite like ethanol, which is a better antifreeze than PG. Glycerol is quite respectable, in the right concentration. Good luck trying to overdose on that. ;)

PG is what is used in enviromentally friendly/non-toxic pink antifreeze. The exact same thing (including the pink coloring) is sprayed onto planes to deice them. No protective gear required other than slickers (since you know, you are spraying water in freezing conditions).

Also added to the water system of buildings that will be unoccupied during the winter since to reverse it you just run all the taps until the tank is empty, turn the water back on, and run them until the water is clear.

PG is also used in adult beverages (1~5% by volume), salid dressing (~1%), and lots of other foods.

*EDIT*
Don't try to vape the pink stuff by the way. It is industrial grade instead of pharm or food grade. There are massive 55g drums of it near me right now.

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
MYTH: Propylene glycol is an ingredient in antifreeze; antifreeze is harmful if swallowed; therefore, propylene glycol is harmful when vaped.

FACT: Propylene glycol is a safer alternative to the methylene glycol that was killing cats and dogs who would lick up the sweet-tasting puddles of antifreeze that pooled under leaky radiators. It's not "dangerous because it's in antifreeze," rather it's "in antifreeze because it's not (as*) dangerous." *Note: not "as" dangerous, which isn't necessarily the same thing as "not" dangerous. Please don't drink antifreeze, whether it's got PG in it or not.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Yup. My guys de-ice aircraft with it almost everyday in January and February. I have bout 20 gallons of concentrate if anyone has a crapload of vg and your preferred flavoring. Feel free to stop by. Haha

Concentrated PG? Never heard of it. How do you make it ready to use?

Jen in North Pole AK

Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
North Pole, AK
I'm going to take another direction with this thread... I live in North Pole, Alaska and have seen 60 below on several occasions and having to vape outside while at work it definitely makes me feel better that I've been ordering higher PG mixes.
Luckily it has been a warmer winter than most so far, but I've definitely seen a flavor loss while I am vaping outside at 10 to 20 degrees.

Brandon David

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Concentrated PG? Never heard of it. How do you make it ready to use?

In excessively code temps you have to mix it with water according to a chart to get the correct ratio for it to be effective on an aircraft. (I.e. It's expensive and the airline wants to cut it so its a bit cheaper to use).

We just mix it 50/50 here because if it gets cold enough that that's not effective (around -6F?), we're not going to be at work. Vaping it would be a bad idea tho. Lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread