The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

On the lighter side . . . this doesn't help our cause

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Trailz, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Trailz

Trailz Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 4, 2014
    NE OH US
    If you're concerned about PG in low temps, fear no more. Vape on!
    [​IMG]

2. Steam Turbine

Steam Turbine Ultra Member ECF Veteran

What does it have to do with vaping?

You know they use water to cool nuclear reactors right....

I don't think it is bad for the water-drinking community,

3. LucentShadow

LucentShadow Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 28, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    It's old news that 'antifreeze' carries a negative connotation amongst those that are ignorant about it. Antifreeze, by definition, is something that lowers the freezing point of a liquid. Whether it's employed in mechanical or physiological systems, it's certainly a beneficial thing.

All (or most) alcohols are antifreeze agents. People seem to quite like ethanol, which is a better antifreeze than PG. Glycerol is quite respectable, in the right concentration. Good luck trying to overdose on that. ;)

4. Steam Turbine

Steam Turbine Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Salt is an anti freeze.... Let's ban salt to.

5. InfinityzeN

InfinityzeN Senior Member

PG is what is used in enviromentally friendly/non-toxic pink antifreeze. The exact same thing (including the pink coloring) is sprayed onto planes to deice them. No protective gear required other than slickers (since you know, you are spraying water in freezing conditions).

Also added to the water system of buildings that will be unoccupied during the winter since to reverse it you just run all the taps until the tank is empty, turn the water back on, and run them until the water is clear.

PG is also used in adult beverages (1~5% by volume), salid dressing (~1%), and lots of other foods.

*EDIT*
    Don't try to vape the pink stuff by the way. It is industrial grade instead of pharm or food grade. There are massive 55g drums of it near me right now.

6. bwh79

bwh79 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon
    MYTH: Propylene glycol is an ingredient in antifreeze; antifreeze is harmful if swallowed; therefore, propylene glycol is harmful when vaped.

FACT: Propylene glycol is a safer alternative to the methylene glycol that was killing cats and dogs who would lick up the sweet-tasting puddles of antifreeze that pooled under leaky radiators. It's not "dangerous because it's in antifreeze," rather it's "in antifreeze because it's not (as*) dangerous." *Note: not "as" dangerous, which isn't necessarily the same thing as "not" dangerous. Please don't drink antifreeze, whether it's got PG in it or not.

7. Trailz

Trailz Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 4, 2014
    NE OH US
    Exactly, I just thought of someone using it as ammunition in an anti-vaping article "and PG (Anti Freeze and airplane de-icer) . . ." I do understand the myths surrounding PG. I just chuckled when I saw this in my feed.

8. Coldrake

Coldrake Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Just tell them to check the ingredients in their toothpaste. Then have them google, "Propylene glycol in food". ;)

9. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    I have officially been WINTERIZED:D

10. Brandon David

Brandon David Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Yup. My guys de-ice aircraft with it almost everyday in January and February. I have bout 20 gallons of concentrate if anyone has a crapload of vg and your preferred flavoring. Feel free to stop by. Haha

11. sgilners

sgilners Full Member

I guess i'll be warm this winter

12. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Concentrated PG? Never heard of it. How do you make it ready to use?

13. Jen in North Pole AK

Jen in North Pole AK Senior Member Verified Member

Sep 20, 2014
    North Pole, AK
    I'm going to take another direction with this thread... I live in North Pole, Alaska and have seen 60 below on several occasions and having to vape outside while at work it definitely makes me feel better that I've been ordering higher PG mixes.
    Luckily it has been a warmer winter than most so far, but I've definitely seen a flavor loss while I am vaping outside at 10 to 20 degrees.

14. Brandon David

Brandon David Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

In excessively code temps you have to mix it with water according to a chart to get the correct ratio for it to be effective on an aircraft. (I.e. It's expensive and the airline wants to cut it so its a bit cheaper to use).

We just mix it 50/50 here because if it gets cold enough that that's not effective (around -6F?), we're not going to be at work. Vaping it would be a bad idea tho. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.