ONE battery or TWO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeIIII

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2013
Kingsport, TN
Note: I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct part of the forum or not. If not, I apologize in advance.

I'm running a Vamo V5 that I just got from an independent dealer a week or so back. I'm currently using a Panasonic 18650b, which I think is one of the newer batteries on the market. Being as I didn't get an instruction manual with this wonderful mod, I've been finding out the more interesting things about it just by trial and error. One thing I discovered today, is that the battery tube is actually two pieces, which suggests that I could use a shorter battery. After scouring the 'Net, I've found out that not only could I do that, and thereby shorten the length of this thing, I could just stack two of the smaller batteries and leave the tube as is. I believe there's even an extension for this thing, to where I could put in two 18650-style batteries (although this would make it more of a miniature light saber than an ecig, as far as size goes).

My question is this: Would there be any advantage to stacking two batteries together, versus just using the one battery that I'm using now? Like, could I get more power? Or perhaps go longer between charges? Or would I just be wasting power from an extra battery?

What's your experience with this?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You'll be wasting power and it is somewhat risky to stack batteries if you don't know what you are doing.

Stacking batteries increases overall voltage, but does not appreciably increase battery duration. Your Vamo has it's own buck boost circuitry to raise voltage without needing to stack batteries. The minor benefits of stacking do not outweigh the potential dangers IMHO.

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR

BTW, that 3400 mAh PanasonicNCR18650-B battery is not the ideal battery for a regulated mod. It is not a high drain battery which mods using PWM need to perform optimally. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/batteries-chargers/528466-panasonic-ncr18650b-super-max-3-7v-3400mah-rechargeable-li-ion-battery.html

Last edited:

GeorgeIIII

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2013
Kingsport, TN
You'll be wasting power and it is somewhat risky to stack batteries if you don't know what you are doing.

Stacking batteries increases overall voltage, but does not appreciably increase battery duration. Your Vamo has it's own buck boost circuitry to raise voltage without needing to stack batteries. The minor benefits of stacking do not outweigh the potential dangers IMHO.

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR

BTW, that 3400 mAh PanasonicNCR18650-B battery is not the ideal battery for a regulated mod. It is not a high drain battery which mods using PWM need to perform optimally. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/batteries-chargers/528466-panasonic-ncr18650b-super-max-3-7v-3400mah-rechargeable-li-ion-battery.html

Had a feeling that was going to be the case. Thanks for the reply Baditutde... I'll check into those links. it sucks, because I just got through ordering two more of those Panasonics. Had thought about IMR's. Guess I'll get some of those when I get some more money. BTW, which IMR's do you use or otherwise recommend? I'm heavy vaper, so I like something that puts out a lot of power, but also has some decent life to it. I know that's a lot to ask for, but is it doable?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I use AW IMR's in all of my mods, mechanical and regulated.

I've tried Panasonic and Efests. The grey Panasonic works fine, but its added mAh does not make it last longer than the AW's. The Efests I tried were 18350 IMRs and they pooped out after about 3 weeks of use. I have several AW's in 14500, 18350, 18490, and 18650 sizes. They are used in rotations.

^Top-Shelf^

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2014
Central Illinois
Only real benefit in a VV/VW 33.3 chip device is you'll be able to actually get 6.8 volts out of it when using it in 15watt mode, and more accurate voltage when using it in VV mode. Probably not enough to make much of a difference but I found it pretty interesting. If you wanna to see what I'm talking about fast forward this video to 19 mins. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5nc6IOLw6ak

Myself, I would just use the 18650 for ease of use and not having to have 2 batteries married together for the rest of they're life. If you do use this method please use 2 exact new batteries and always keep those 2 together and charge together.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Note: I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct part of the forum or not. If not, I apologize in advance.

I'm running a Vamo V5 that I just got from an independent dealer a week or so back. I'm currently using a Panasonic 18650b, which I think is one of the newer batteries on the market. Being as I didn't get an instruction manual with this wonderful mod, I've been finding out the more interesting things about it just by trial and error. One thing I discovered today, is that the battery tube is actually two pieces, which suggests that I could use a shorter battery. After scouring the 'Net, I've found out that not only could I do that, and thereby shorten the length of this thing, I could just stack two of the smaller batteries and leave the tube as is. I believe there's even an extension for this thing, to where I could put in two 18650-style batteries (although this would make it more of a miniature light saber than an ecig, as far as size goes).

My question is this: Would there be any advantage to stacking two batteries together, versus just using the one battery that I'm using now? Like, could I get more power? Or perhaps go longer between charges? Or would I just be wasting power from an extra battery?

What's your experience with this?

First of all, stacking these types of batteries is not recommended for your safety; someone who does it needs to follow a strick matching protocol involving purchase, charging, and swapping.

Getting back to you Vamo, not only can you take the bottom piece out and use a shorter battery, you can also unscrew the top cap, and screw on the bottom tube on top to protect your glass tank!!

attachment.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread