One thing about RDAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
This might be one of those things that is so basic and simple that it doesn't even need to be said. However, I discovered this for myself and will say it now.

Every time you take the top off to drip it, you can see the wicks and note their condition.

There. I said it. Duh!

This is my first rda - a doge V2, two fused claptons, total 0.26 ohms. While this rda is not known for flavor, the flavor of The Vapor Chef's Crumblestiltskin is really popping at 50W and air vents fully opened. A tasty DTL experience!

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
Why do you take the top off everytime to drip?

Hmm. I thought that was the SOP.

Maybe to reduce the chance of accidentally dripping juice down the outside? The opening at the top is quite large, so I guess that there's little chance of that happening. However it does allow me to flow it right onto the coils and get it onto all parts of the wicks and avoid getting it onto the screws. Oh, and it let's me see how the wicks are doing and critique my wicking job.

In any case, I always appreciate input that points to a better way of doing things. I'm learning all this stuff in a short time to know what I need while it can still be purchased.

Thanks, Don.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
What I do is after I build and wick an RDA I'll soak it down really good once and vape it. Then I take the top cap off and drip from the top counting the drips until it's just about to overflow but doesn't. From then on I just leave the top cap on and count the drops. It's usually between 15 and 30 drops depending on the RDA. That's just what works for me. I hope that makes sense.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
This might be one of those things that is so basic and simple that it doesn't even need to be said. However, I discovered this for myself and will say it now.

Every time you take the top off to drip it, you can see the wicks and note their condition.

There. I said it. Duh!

This is my first RDA - a Doge V2, two fused claptons, total 0.26 ohms. While this RDA is not known for flavor, the flavor of The Vapor Chef's Crumblestiltskin is really popping at 50W and air vents fully opened. A tasty DTL experience!
I used Doge2's for a long time. You can get some decent flavor from them, but they are definitely geared more for clouds. I still use mine from time to time. You can replace the tall screws with Allen grub screws and fit 22mm chuff caps on them (if you can still find them)
Check out this deal. Even if you just get some for spare parts...
DOGE V2 | Limited Edition Jack Cali’s | Hot Copper – Congrevape

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
What I do is after I build and wick an RDA I'll soak it down really good once and vape it. Then I take the top cap off and drip from the top counting the drips until it's just about to overflow but doesn't. From then on I just leave the top cap on and count the drops. It's usually between 15 and 30 drops depending on the RDA. That's just what works for me. I hope that makes sense.

Don, I experimented some more, and have come around to what you are suggesting.
Pros: Leaving the top on is quicker and makes for one less thing to juggle with your hands. Taking the top off can cause spills.
Cons: If you lose track and overfill it you can get juice coming out the air inlets. Counting drops makes sense if you have the discipline to do it. If not, you give it a squirt and hope for the best.

As the thread started out, you all probably know this already...

Reactions: Fidola13

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Don, I experimented some more, and have come around to what you are suggesting.
Pros: Leaving the top on is quicker and makes for one less thing to juggle with your hands. Taking the top off can cause spills.
Cons: If you lose track and overfill it you can get juice coming out the air inlets. Counting drops makes sense if you have the discipline to do it. If not, you give it a squirt and hope for the best.

As the thread started out, you all probably know this already...
You are correct. You'll get used to it real quick.

• Disagree
Reactions: Javichu

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
I just dump juice down the middle of my drip tip while frequently making sure to aim a few drops in such a way that they leak down the bore of my drip tip and/or fall onto the posts. The end result is the same as dripping straight on top of the wicks, actually better, because keeping the whole interior space of an RDA juiced is producing better flavor, and, I can both taste and feel when it's almost time to rewick so I never have to pull the chuff out nor pull the top cap off or anything.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I pull out the drip tip and squirt about 2/3rds a glass dropperfull in. Not only is removing the cap messy and tricky to realign, a lot of the time there's enough juice in there it would be juice on my lap. There's no way juice is going through this tight drip tip, I wipe off the excess juice from its bottom every time I pull it out to drip so I don't end up inhaling a blob of juice eventually.

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    Last edited:
    Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    IDK. There are times I'm not sure I WAAT to see the state of my wicks, especially in the doggystyle which seems to have a habit (I have yet to figure this one out) of turning your wicks to mud in about 20 minutes, but vaping fine for a week.

One of the reasons I like the topfill is with the dang doggy every time I needed a refill I had to stare at that wick and go, "You are going to change that, right? Right?"

LOL and Sirens have a habit of darkening my eliquid severely, and sometimes rapidly but they taste fine.

I'm starting to wonder about metals and maybe I will do some testing. IDK though, I used the (I presume) kanthal coils that come with the Rose V3 (Fumytech) and my liquid is lovely. I change the wicks when I figure I "should" and well, they're usually not that bad. I have no clue.

Despite my mad love for the precio, I think the Rose V3 is my favorite atomizer. It is like it was built for me. I have never had an issue mounting a diagonal coil, it has NEVER leaked, and the flavor is outstanding.

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread