Ontario moves to regulate e-cigarettes, ban flavoured tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
http://www.theglobeandmail. com/life/health-and-fitness/health/ontario-moves-to-regulate-e-cigarettes-ban-flavoured-tobacco/article21723232/

Ontario Canada Public Health Minister today interduced a omnibus bill to regulate the sale of electronic cigarettes, ban all flavoured tobacco products, including menthol cigarettes, and mandate calorie counts on restaurant menus.

I don't know much about the government there but I assume since it is part of an ommnibus bill it will be easier to pass since there are aspects that appeal to different people's priorities.

One of my favorite quotes is, "Even though e-cigarettes do not produce any secondhand smoke, they still send the wrong message to teens"

There is a lot of the typical quotes and ramblings i.e. ...we don't know if they are safe...

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
If canadians stopped buying tobacco the government of ontario would have to default on its debts because of lost tax revenue. A global crash in tobacco sales could cause a financial melt down. That's what this is about. A close economic analysis of government reliance on tobacco tax revenues would expose this problem. It's your patriotic duty to keep smoking.

BigBoyBlue

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Canada
The government is too greedy to let the cigarette cash cow fall to the way side. The Ontario government receives in excess of 1 billion dollars annually from the cigarette sin tax. This money has become part of their expected yearly revenue. Heck, even a month or two ago the Finance Minister announced that Ontario intended to stop revenue leaks. Two leaks were mentioned, one being the contraband tobacco industry. Any citizen of Ontario knows that there will never be an end to the native cigarette trade. The government will not stop their production and will never recover the revenue they would have generated. The next step is for them to grab on to any new form of revenue possible. E-cigarettes will have to cough up the dough they would have otherwise made from us if we continued using tobacco products. It is truly sad what this once great province has been reduced to. Government spending is out of control. I feel sad for the next generation. Our children will be paying for the spending of their parents and grand parents.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
One of my favorite quotes is, "Even though e-cigarettes do not produce any secondhand smoke, they still send the wrong message to teens"

Is there anything more disturbingly Orwellian than a policy position that amounts to "We have to ban this product because it might cause undesirable thoughts"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread