The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Operation Choke Point

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by rothenbj, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. rothenbj

rothenbj Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I don't know the validity of this, but it's an interesting read after we've seen attempts to stop the sale of e cigs at various times (Ebay and Amazon as well as Paypal come to mind).

Lawmakers Throw Light on Secretive 'Operation Choke Point'

If you can't make banking transactions, it's difficult to run a business as the article implies.

2. wv2win

wv2win ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 10, 2009
    GA by way of WV
    This would be an easy way to enforce Obama's war against vaping. Just like Paypal will not process vaping transactions in the US. They wouldn't even have to control/restrict all consumer purchases. They would just have to threaten to confiscate funds of any vendor. How would a vendor buy supplies? Where would a vendor put their profits and or operating capital? It would move everything back to pre-2009. Then their oversight & control would be narrowed to the processing of overseas transactions.

3. Anjaffm

Anjaffm Dragon Lady ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2013
    Germany
    I don't believe it!
    In your country, the government decides whether banks can do business with other businesses who sell LEGAL goods? And the businesses cannot fight against the pressure exerted by the government to shut them down / rob them of their basis for financial transactions whenever government so desires? Although they are selling legal goods and doing nothing wrong?
    Holy mackerel! Sounds like Russia, Syria, Egypt. But I would not have believed this possible in an (allegedly) democratic country.

4. TomGeorge

TomGeorge Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 29, 2014
    Buffalo/Rochester
    The system is flawed but Mr. Obama is making it much much much worse... "I've got a pen, and I've got a phone." aka ill do whatever the hell I want because {MODERATED} 50+ executive orders, almost all, give the government more power and the people less :confused:

5. Uma

Uma Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2010
    Calif
    Good find rothenbj! This explains a lot & I'm so glad it's being investigated.

6. Anjaffm

Sep 12, 2013
    Germany
    Whatever happened to "checks and balances"? :ohmy:
    I still don't believe it. Your head of government assumes dictatorial powers? :ohmy:
    Ok, ok, so do the unelected bureaucrats of the European Union. But even they cannot simply shut down legal businesses / make it impossible to operate a legal business because {MODERATED}
    Wow. Just wow!

7. Kent C

Kent C ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    Financial Tyranny against Political Enemies | Cato Institute

From the so-called 'pro-immigration' administration....

"Last year, the Justice Department started Operation Choke Point, which placed massive paperwork and information burdens on banks and money-payments firms that were servicing legal businesses that the administration doesn’t like, such as payday lenders, adult entertainment, and gun and ammo dealers. In addition, the Internal Revenue Service and Treasury Department came up with new rules for most financial-services companies (including banks) on the globe that may provide financial services to American citizens and so-called American “tax persons,” such as green-card holders."

"Many foreign financial institutions are now reducing or eliminating their investments in the United States, which will reduce the number of jobs and, hence, tax revenue. None of this makes any sense from a tax or economic point of view, but if the government’s real goal is to control and reduce the liberty Americans have over their own financial affairs, it is achieving it."

"If the Obama administration thinks it has a right to go after banks that have gun dealers or dating services as clients because they are not in their definition of the “public interest,” how long will it be before it goes after banks that have as their clients Tea Party groups or other organizations that oppose the administration? What happens if a think tank produces a report that the administration does not like? Will the think tank lose its banking relationship? How about newspapers that print critical articles the administration claims not to be in the “public interest”? Without bank accounts, newspapers and other news and opinion outlets will find it almost impossible to function."

And what happens if the administration changes? Now they'd also have a 'new tool'.....

8. northhar

northhar Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    CanTheBan
    So all that money the goverments have been giving to Banks and Financial institutions came with a leash.. a very strong one at that...(my opinion )..

9. TomGeorge

Jan 29, 2014
    Buffalo/Rochester
    Technically he cant. Its illegal to do what he is doing but no one will stop him in fear of being called a racist or bigot. I have faith that it will all come full circle eventually and the course will be corrected in the direction that the founded fathers envisioned.

10. squee

squee Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Central CT
  11. DrMA

DrMA Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Seattle area
    It's become "checks" from the lobbyists to improve their offshore account "balances". It appears to be working quite well.

12. TomGeorge

Jan 29, 2014
    Buffalo/Rochester
    Not to start a political debate but, just so you know, Reagan and Bush made executive orders on foreign policy while Obama makes them on domestic policy. The latter, is not what it is intended for, so one man can change, bypass and disregard the constitution.

13. wv2win

wv2win ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 10, 2009
    GA by way of WV
    Good reply. It's interesting after the systematic war on vaping that this administration waged for 6 years there are ECF members who would rather see vaping virtually eliminated than admit that Obama & his administration is the problem.

14. TomGeorge

Jan 29, 2014
    Buffalo/Rochester
    The blind loyalty is astounding. Eventually they are going to figure it out...right?? I hope...:unsure:

15. rothenbj

rothenbj Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I really didn't start this thread to have it degenerate into a political holy war. However the fact remains that there have been some very suspicious attacks on vaping that this "policy" could explain. I personally was not very political or political party oriented. "In fact, I'm still not. My voting record has been all over the board and at this stage of the game, I don't very much like either the Regressive Dumbocrats or the Repugnacants.

All that being said, I had high hopes for real change in 2008 but by 2010 I realized that dream was just another campaign promise or something much worse.

16. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    New World Order.

How can people not see it?
    The evidence is everywhere.

You can slow it down, but you can't stop it.
    Too many people have been fooled into actually supporting the pieces that are being put in place.

Anyone that thinks the rich don't already rule the world is fooling themselves, and it will only get worse.
    And anyone that thought America was not part of it is also fooling themselves.

I remember back, only a few years ago, when I was so ignorant to all of this.
    I liked it better that way, and so do all of the sheep.

I remember when I was one.

17. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    Oh, and to stay on topic, Operation Choke Point is nothing new.
    That is how they killed online gambling.

18. Anjaffm

Sep 12, 2013
    Germany
    precisely.
    And whatever your political leaning, this current administration is going too far. You have read Kent C.'s link, right? Here it is again Financial Tyranny against Political Enemies | Cato Institute

It is "my country, right or wrong". It is not "my political party, right or wrong".
    I am from Germany. And I know my history. Following some "leader" blindly has never brought good results. Enough said.

Sorry, dear. But I just had to comment on that blind "my political party right or wrong" ... uhm.... .. ahem.. posting. This "but.. but.. your guy sucks more" is not an argument. It is a declaration of intellectual bankruptcy.

19. Anjaffm

Sep 12, 2013
    Germany
  20. granolaboy

granolaboy Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 13, 2014
    Skidegate, BC, Canada
    "Allegedly"...you got that right.

I believe "Faux Democracy" is a more accurate term for Canada and the USA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.