Orchid by Aethertech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo0m5l4ng

Oct 22, 2014
Tennessee
I have a question about the chimney.
I use the orchid v4, and LOVE it, the kayfun base is garbage in comparison, however, the color and accessory choices are non-existant.

I am putting together a black and brass modified version to match my black and brass nemesis, but having issues with the chimney length not being a perfect match to any of the kayfun chimney lengths(using a black russian here as a donor), and obviously, the base is fatter, so I cant do a complete swapover. I have jerry rigged something together that works and does not leak, but it is not satisfactory to my ocd yet xD

Is there a kayfun variant that does have a matching diameter chimney to the orchid v4 that i can pick up a replacement part for? a sleeve that converts down to the kayfun upper chimney section would be perfect as I have various sized of those already.

Basically, the chimney is too short, and I need a proper way to extend it.

What I am doing now is I am stacking the kayfun sleeve, with the short nano chimney section attached, and seating it in top of the orchid chimney by pressure from the top cap. It does not leak, but it extends a bit too much, and atomizer cannot be fully tightened together without choking up the wicking.

Update: So I stole a bit of oxygen tubing from my mother(the reason I quit smoking, she is totally disabled now from smoking), and used some of it to extend my chimney, and works perfectly :) Maybe this will help someone else.

orchidrussian.png

russianorchid2.png

Last edited:

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
If the chimney is too short to use a standard kayfun tank,then it may not be a v4.The v4 comes with a full size kayfun tank on it,and i replaced that with a standard sized m-tank.If you want the longeer chimney,fasttech sells just the v4 chimney for a bit over $2,i think it's like $2.68.

By the way that looks sweet with the black tank and nemesis.Have you had any fading on the nemisis?I have the stainless one,and have been debating on the black one,but dont want it to fade or chip off on me.

Last edited:

Bo0m5l4ng

Oct 22, 2014
Tennessee
I believe its anodized, and a very dark charcoal. It is not true black, but I never noticed that until I put the black russian on it. Still barely noticeable. If you look at the pics, I already have battle scars on it and is still black. I am not sure how deep of a scratch that coating will take, but for regular scuffs and scratches, its doing great so far. I have had this nemesis for a little over a month, as you can tell by that brass :p (I polished the locking ring a couple weeks ago)

BTW, It may be a fullsized kayfun tank, but is not a full sized russian tank, the russian is about 2-3 mm taller.

Last edited:

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Ok,yeah,i've never had a tank from a russian,so that makes sense,i thought you were using a standard kayfun sized tank,great idea on using the oxygen tubing though.Back before they came out with the longer chimney,we were talking about trying to use some type of tubing to be able to use a taller tank in another thread,but at that time,i think the tubing being discussed was the silicone fish tank tubing haha.That brass still looks pretty good after a month,i have a brass stingray and that thing gets so dull after about 2 days that it looks like it's been sitting out in the weather for months,then every time i bump it on something it will show a nice shiney scar for a few days before that dulls and blends back in.

Bo0m5l4ng

Oct 22, 2014
Tennessee
Do I just need more cotton or what. I've tried less. And then I tried more. I guess I need more. Lol

Or is there a trick to get this thing to not leak out the air holes.

How are you filling it? Fill it from the bottom to make sure your air lock is good to go. If you have one without a bottom fill hole, plug the air holes when fillling, screw the cap on 2 threads, flip, release the air holes, and screw the rest of the way. Blow into it a few time to 'blow its nose' after filling.

To wick it, wick the upper deck only, leave the bottom deck unwicked. This should get you in the ball park for that perfect amount of wicking. After you get it right, its really easy after that. I dont even think about it anymore. I use cotton wicks as well, they swell when saturated.

Last edited:

Joey13091

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
Usa
How are you filling it? Fill it from the bottom to make sure your air lock is good to go. Blow into it a few time to 'blow its nose' after filling.

To wick it, wick the upper deck only, leave the bottom deck unwicked. This should get you in the ball park for that perfect amount of wicking. After you get it right, its really easy after that. I dont even think about it anymore. I use cotton wicks as well, they swell when saturated.
What do you mean by only wick the top?

Can you get me a picture of how to wick it? That would really help me out.

Thank you.

Bo0m5l4ng

Oct 22, 2014
Tennessee
What do you mean by only wick the top?

Can you get me a picture of how to wick it? That would really help me out.

Thank you.

The deck steps up, where the chinmey attaches, but the channels continue on the lower level, You only what the wicking to be in the part the chimney screws into. I JUST filled up my atomizer before I read your post, but Ill post a pic of mine the next time I refill, it is getting about time to rewick it anyways.

Don't mind the coils, this is like their 8th wicking, so they are starting to look a bit rough :p

Get your coils setup, glowing evenly, etc etc:
DSC_0061.JPG

Twist the end of your wick so you can run it through your coil:
DSC_0063.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

Cut your wick at an angle towards the center. The longest end(bottom) should be long enough to reach the bottom of the upper deck, and the shortest should be just flush with it:
DSC_0066.JPG

Put some ejuice on it to wet it up, and tick your wicks into the upper channels, making sure they do not go into the lower channel after it makes that 90 degree bend:
DSC_0068.JPG

Put it back together and fill her up :)

If you are curious, my build is 8 wraps of 26 gauge kanthal x 2. It comes out to 0.51 ohms.

Last edited:

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
How are you filling it? Fill it from the bottom to make sure your air lock is good to go. If you have one without a bottom fill hole, plug the air holes when fillling, screw the cap on 2 threads, flip, release the air holes, and screw the rest of the way. Blow into it a few time to 'blow its nose' after filling.

I think I need a thinner needle. With a 16ga. needle I can't bottom fill mine. It literally will come right back out of the hole I'm filling it from. That having been said, I find it easier to top fill this thing. Cover the air holes, fill, sit the top cap on and rotate backward until the threads line up, flip upside down, tighten, and it's good to go without leaking a drop.

The deck steps up, where the chinmey attaches, but the channels continue on the lower level, You only what the wicking to be in the part the chimney screws into. I JUST filled up my atomizer before I read your post, but Ill post a pic of mine the next time I refill, it is getting about time to rewick it anyways.

Don't mind the coils, this is like their 8th wicking, so they are starting to look a bit rough :p

Get your coils setup, glowing evenly, etc etc:
DSC_0061.JPG

Twist the end of your wick so you can run it through your coil:
DSC_0063.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

Cut your wick at an angle towards the center. The longest end(bottom) should be long enough to reach the bottom of the upper deck, and the shortest should be just flush with it:
DSC_0066.JPG

Put some ejuice on it to wet it up, and tick your wicks into the upper channels, making sure they do not go into the lower channel after it makes that 90 degree bend:
DSC_0068.JPG

Put it back together and fill her up :)

If you are curious, my build is 8 wraps of 26 gauge kanthal x 2. It comes out to 0.51 ohms.

Yep that's exactly what I ended up with by trial and error. You definitely want tails in the liquid channel, get the coil up a bit, and make sure no part of the wick is touching the airhole. If any part of it is close enough for a drip to touch the airhole, then it will wick the liquid in, and send it right down the airhole.

Bo0m5l4ng

Oct 22, 2014
Tennessee
I think I need a thinner needle. With a 16ga. needle I can't bottom fill mine. It literally will come right back out of the hole I'm filling it from. That having been said, I find it easier to top fill this thing. Cover the air holes, fill, sit the top cap on and rotate backward until the threads line up, flip upside down, tighten, and it's good to go without leaking a drop.
If you look at that last picture you will see why, when the chimney is screwed on, part of the fill hole gets obstructed by the chimney. You have the wiggle the needle past it. Also, you may have to tilt it to release air locks or the liquid will outright refuse to cooperate.

P.S. I fill from the top too ;)

Last edited:

themyst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2009
Whitestone, NY
I did 7 wraps with 28 gauge on a 2.4mm bit and I got 0.88 ohms.

I also had a 1.25 ohm build go south after I dropped my mod. Would go to 1.4, then 1.5, then 1.6, then 1.7, after that I just said screw it and rebuilt the coils. Turned out one of the posts got jarred loose which mean one of the cut ends was touching the opposite coil post.

I would love to try a microcoil, but my fat fingers can't seem to get the cotton through a coil that small :(

Bo0m5l4ng

Oct 22, 2014
Tennessee
Is there anyone who has received an orchid from the last preorder yet ? I pre ordered the latest orchid the one with the 2 piece chimney. There does not seams to be very much information regarding a ship date?

Interesting! I didn't know about this new version. Will the stem be compatible with kayfun stems?

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
cracks me up, this is one rba where the clones are of better quality and innovations then the authentic. hey but that's just my take on it. But will likely never purchase an authentic from this company again. Though I am liking the V3 clone with the Confun tank clone, or something like that.

Sure, it's nice that can use parts from other tank systems to make this a decent contender, but one shouldn't have to at this price point.!! Just saying. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread