• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Organic Canadian E-Liquids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoizMaker

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Lindsay, ON
Hey all,

I have pondered about the availability of completely organic e-liquid in Canada for some months now and as far as I can see (I would LOVE to be wrong) there aren't any Canadian vendors who sell "Organic Juices".

Now, I'm not even sure what Organic e-liquid would even consist of.. I would imagine distilled water and Soy Glycerin are in the mix with some all natural flavorings and nic.

Now my questions are;

Is there anyone else out there who would like Canadian-Made organic e-juices as much as I would?

Am I missing the organic products on Vapables, UVapeIt, EV, VaporsKitchen, evapers or ePuff?

Is it expensive to buy/ make to sell because of "Organic Flavorings"?

Also, would "Organic" necessarily equate to a healthier vape?

In all honesty, I have no clue, but I am very interested in using an all natural product. I see the look on people's faces when they ask me about the ingredients in my juices and it really isn't a good reaction. Oft times, they reply 'That sounds like chemicals to me...' and honestly, I can't blame them much for that assumption. If I could say with all honesty that the liquid is made from natural, organic products it would be alot less alarming to those concerned about their health.

Anyway guys I will end my short story :laugh: Thanks in advance to all you awesome vapers and have a happy Thanksgiving!

mom_life_love

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
I would love to see some organic and natural flavours in canada, because I am allergic to pg it is hard to find anything that is completely vg, I also susppect from various reactions that the makers of said vg juice still put a little pg in them or I may be reacting to another chemical in them. I have noticed though that one of the juice makers I don't react to is velvet vapors, although they are base in the states there is a great info page on their site on what is natural vs. artificial, I have added the link below (hopefully I have done it correctly lol)

Velvet Vapors - Natural vs Articifical Flavors

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Hi again NoizMaker, and Happy Thanksgiving!
huggy.gif

Firstly, PG is an organic substance. So is VG. So you're good on those counts. Nicotine itself is also organic. Good again. That just leaves flavouring.

If you look at the flavours from Perfumer's Apprentice, for example...you'll see that some of her flavours are totally natural (i.e. organic)...and some contain some artificial flavouring. Some are a mix of both. Though considering how much of your final e-juice actually consists of flavour (anywhere from 5 to 15% on average), it's not a super big concern as far as organic-ness goes. Artificial flavourings are still totally food-safe. But yeah...some of my faves from her use only natural flavourings.

So yes - next time someone asks, 80 to 85% of your e-juice is always purely organic. If you want to say 100% of your e-juiec is organic with a clear conscience, be picky with your flavourings - because that's the only component of your e-juice that has any leeway, organically.

I've found the best way to describe the ingredients in order to set folks at ease is to explain it this way: "The liquid consists of only 3 ingredients. Propylene glycol, which is used in a countless number of foods, cakes, beverages, etc - totally safe, we've all eaten it many times. It's also the main ingredient in theatrical fog. PG is also actually quite good for you because in its vapourized form, it's a powerful germicidal/bactericidal agent (and in some cases, even virucidal). That's why they pump it through the air ventilation system in many hospitals...to keep the air clean. Anyway, second ingredient is flavour, of course. And lastly - nicotine, which is optional. One should note that the nicotine in this liquid is actually less harmful than the caffeine in your coffe. Nicotine itself isn't a problem - it's all the other junk in tobacco cigarettes that kills smokers. The nicotine in this liquid is totally safe, or if you want to get technical, it's safer than the caffeine in your coffe. So yeah. PG, flavour, and (optional) nicotine."

I usually then go on to briefly explain how because the exhaled vapour is basically just flavoured steam...it evaporates within a second or two, just like steam from a boiling pot of water. So it doesn't hang in the air, doesn't stick to you or smell up the place...doesn't do anything except actually clean the air really. If anyone expresses concern about their exposure to nicotine, I mention that the vaper's body absorbs virtually all of the nicotine when it is inhaled, and exhaled vapour contains only the tiniest trace amounts of nicotine...i.e. virtually no nicotine. Consider too that the volume of air in a room is a bajillion times larger than a person's lungs - and so even that trace amount of nicotine in exhaled vapour quickly diffuses in the air into virtual non-existence. A non-vaper could sit next to a vaper for years and not begin to come anywhere close to any kind of real nicotine exposure. "You get way worse just walking down a sidewalk and occasionally walking past a smoker," I say.

Hope that helped!
huggy.gif
Have a very happy Thanksgiving dear.
smilefinal.gif

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
P.S. To mom_life_love: Sorry that you're not having the best experience with PG or VG. The following suggestion isn't organic, but it may be a good option for you - try cutting your VG with triacetin. Linda at Perfumer's Apprentice carries it, and uses it as the carrier for her line of "Non PG" concentrated flavourings for those who are either allergic to PG, or seeking a better flavour carrier than VG (triacetin is way less thick, a lot more like PG on that count). Triacetin is in the glycerin family, it's food safe & commonly used in foods, and safe to vape. To quote from Linda:

"Triacetin is a flavor carrier used widely throughout the Food Industry. It has been rated as GRAS (generally recognized as safe), and inhalation tests have shown no outstanding issues. For use in e-liquids, it should be combined with Glycerin. Please feel free to call us with any questions."

I'm fine with PG, and like to use about 10% VG in my mixes usually. But I recently ordered her Cola (Tri) concentrated flavouring from her "Non PG" section (she said the "tri" version of her Cola turned out better than the PG one, so I gave it a go). It's amazing!!!
biggrinfinal.gif
I use the following recipe per 3mL batch:

- 65% PG with nicotine (28mg strength) [39 drops]
- 10% plain VG [6 drops]
- 15% plain PG [9 drops]
- 10% flavouring [6 drops]* *(though I usually add an extra drop for zazz)
= 3mL of Cola e-juice, 18mg nicotine strength

I haven't been able to stop vaping it for well over a week now! Great flavour, great throat hit, great 'snap-crackle-pop' - you can even taste the 'bubbles.' Sometimes I up the strength to 22mg for an even stronger throat hit, but usually 18mg does the job nicely.

Anyway, I digress. Worth looking into hon, hope it all works out.
huggy.gif

Last edited:

mom_life_love

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks for the tip, I tried making my own e-liquid and failed miserably lol! I have a few vendors here in canada that are working with me to try and get some stuff in that will work for me and they are definately going above and beyond :) If all else fails I am going to try to make my own again, prob is that I love all the caramel, butter rum, toffee type flavours and they just don't seem to have them suspended in anything besides pg! One of these days I'll get it sorted out, I haven't gone back to smoking analogs yet and don't plan to in the near future! Thanks for the support :)

NoizMaker

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Lindsay, ON
Thanks for the reply Mom and Rachel! :hug: Lots of awesome information here. It actually seems very straight forward.

I think I heard PG is organic actually, and I think that's why I didn't have many problems vaping the PG mixes myself. I try to explain to folks about the exact same thing, so maybe that tid bit about hospitals using it to clean the air will be the trick for me when talking to smokers!

Mom:

Thanks for that link! It certainly did work and makes alot of sense. :laugh: I figure it might be a slight increase in price if the flavorings are made from scratch, but nothing obscenely significant.

I might tinker around with some flavors and find some personal recipe's I like. If I can swing it, I might even start selling the stuff. I will go hunting for the best method of extracting the flavors from fruits and etc for e-liquid and see what I can find :thumb:

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
You can try the CloudPure Naturals, all organic, at Clouds Of Vapor (Bruce is allergic to PG)..... here's a link to their thread about it: HERE

Although they are not a Canadian vendor... they do ship fast and hassle free.

For DIY there are alcohol extracts (limited selection) at Vanilla Food Company made by Nielson Massey who claim ingrediants of water, 35-37% alchohol, and extract as far as their chocolate or coffee extracts. Please check carefully yourself of the ingrediants beyond the two I've listed. I have not tried them myself, but ran across them this morning and thought I'd mention them. Here's the link to the coffee one: HERE

VapeOn,
Greg

Last edited:

HawtAngel

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
Canada
I'm afraid organic odors are the most unpleasant ones in the streets of Toronto. I wouldn't mind some artificial additives to alleviate them. Organic is not better by definition. S**t & vomit are organic. Just an opinion.

Lol Victor your right there. Had a neighbor that grew organic veggies in his garden. However his secret was chicken poo and when he had his truckload delivered yearly the whole neighborhood stank. Seriously would make your eyes water.

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
Ha.... try in my area !! 1km away: Mushroom Farm; 3km away: City Dump; 6km away: Orgaworld... ick !; EVERYWHERE around me: sheep/cattle/horse farms spreading their liquified manure !!..... Now THAT my friends is some very powerful odors depending on the wind shift, lol.

-Greg

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I see the look on people's faces when they ask me about the ingredients in my juices and it really isn't a good reaction. Oft times, they reply 'That sounds like chemicals to me...' and honestly, I can't blame them much for that assumption.

I do not scoff at anyone's concerns perse or the strange looks I get. To many this is a mystery, education is key IMHO. Like a few points that Rachel has touched on wrt medicinal effects of PG and their wide use in hospital, or that the carrier for asthma medicines is PG.

No, "smokers" who give you the look are simply not ready for the transition, apprehension from non-smokers is understandable. Back to smokers - when they state we don't know what's in them, next time ask them what purpose does Benzene, Ammonia, Formaldehyde, Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors, to name but a few, contained in cigarettes actually do? Then provide them with the answer, their look often changes to one of inquisitiveness (well most times).

To further put your mind at ease, my doctor supports vaping. She came out with the following statement:

<<Although electronic cigarettes have yet to prove any health benefits, or cause long term harm. The mere fact that you are no longer smoking can't be anything but beneficial in my professional opinion. When I raised the issue with her I was indeed apprehensive as she is an extremely straight shooter.>>

OTOH my X boss' wife ( a surgical nurse) flately made the comment: <<If I can quit cold turkey, so can you">>

Just observations to ponder :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread