Status
Not open for further replies.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Noting that there will maybe be a lot of booing/hissing... I ignore the down to 3.7/3.8 that some folks change batts out at. I have always relied on performance to tell me when to change batts, not what voltage they are at. In some of my builds that means I have drained batts almost dry before changing/recharging them with no ill effects.
No booing and hissing here!! I would like to clarify, that my changing batteries at 3.6-3.7v range is due to performance dropping off. The only reason I know what voltage they were is merely because my charger tells me when I insert the battery. This is not to say I never run my batteries lower. I have a tendency to run my setups with Nuppin's on top in the 3.2-3.4v range on average... I have been guilty of running a few in the 2.7-2.8v range when out and about and no extra batteries on hand. I think performance wise, it just depends on what atty is setting on the device and have found with the smaller atty's I can go longer on a charge than usual...

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I got the third O-16 picked up in the wee hours, put a 26ga-2.5mm-7wrap-.78-RKGD single coil build in it to run a DIY Latakia NET in. The vapor and flavor is amazing, reminds me of my pipe smoking days.

So these atty's are performing very well for me with both dual and single coil builds. The more I use them on the Mini 1.0's the more I like them and the way they look on them with Syner DT's. So they were well worth the price of admission to me anyway.

o16x3.jpg

Damn just tried that and it's too hot.. burning my flavorless (25/75 vg) juice! Gona try again with another wrap or 2 haha.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Went for 9 wraps of 26 gauge 2.5mm and came out to 1.02ohms. Alot better this time.

Just goes to show you how well this little guy heats up! I could never get into lower then 30 gauge at 1ohm on anything else.

Still might be able to go lower but unsure this little guys got room for 10 wraps of 26 gauge. I don't have anything lower then 26.

Would love to attempt 1.5ohms and see if that's like 1ohm on my other attys. Would be real good on rhe battery life on the mini.

Reactions: Spydro

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
No booing and hissing here!! I would like to clarify, that my changing batteries at 3.6-3.7v range is due to performance dropping off. The only reason I know what voltage they were is merely because my charger tells me when I insert the battery. This is not to say I never run my batteries lower. I have a tendency to run my setups with Nuppin's on top in the 3.2-3.4v range on average... I have been guilty of running a few in the 2.7-2.8v range when out and about and no extra batteries on hand. I think performance wise, it just depends on what atty is setting on the device and have found with the smaller atty's I can go longer on a charge than usual...

Agree, small well balanced/efficient atty's still perform well enough at the lower voltage/wattage. So with most of the builds in the 8 Nuppin's I commonly get down into the low 3's before I change their batts. I say most because it depends on the joose... some I prefer to run hotter so change those batts more often.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Went for 9 wraps of 26 gauge 2.5mm and came out to 1.02ohms. Alot better this time.

Just goes to show you how well this little guy heats up! I could never get into lower then 30 gauge at 1ohm on anything else.

Still might be able to go lower but unsure this little guys got room for 10 wraps of 26 gauge. I don't have anything lower then 26.

Would love to attempt 1.5ohms and see if that's like 1ohm on my other attys. Would be real good on rhe battery life on the mini.

I already have other coils built to try in them eventually. One of them is a 26ga, 7 wrap on a 3mm form for about 1.0 ohms (exact actual will depend on which set of post holes are used so how long the trails come out). Based on holding that wrapped coil for size comparison on the non wicked side of an O-16... IMO a 26ga 11 wrap on a 3mm form would easily fit and get in the 1.5 ohms range, and even a 26ga 15 wrap 3mm would fit for in the 2 ohm range. The chamber is so small and efficient that holding the coil back from the deck edge/closer to the posts is not a bad thing IMO. Just don't overstuff it with excess wick tails blocking air flow around/below the coil. I'm using RKGD wicks just long enough to touch the deck in all 3 of mine (dual and single). They easily pick up squonked joose, let excess joose drain fast and hold massive amounts of it for less squonking (an added benefit for my LDLH's that drain regular wicks dry in short order). :2c:

Reactions: xtreme101

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Here's something I came up with after waking up in the middle of the night.. first time I felt the need to build like that. Hehe. Though a thought came to me about how to properly get a center coil in there tight enough to force the air around the sides of the coil and not just bypass it like I've always found.

Vertical center coil.. 3mm 26 gauge 7 wrap @ 1.02ohms. It's somehow not touching the posts. Kgb doubled over with half pulled to each side to not block the juice hole.. wide open air holes..

Super pain in the rear to get the legs in. 2nd attempt as I trashed the first coil. Made on coilmaster 3.0 with the legs going opposite directions.

Note.. a small bottom hole drip tip may be preferred just to make sure air can't get around the coil but it seems fine with a little larger bore tip.. only on like an hour or 2 of testing.

It's a strong solid full mouth hit with massive vapor!

2015-10-09 11.22.57.jpg
2015-10-09 11.24.52.jpg

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
My attempt. 7 wraps of 26 g Kanthal with 2.5 mm ID - came to 0.87 ohms. Wicked with Cotton Bacon V2. Both air holes open opposite the wick tails. Still playing with the air flow for my preferred mouth to lung, but on the biggest holes very comfortable direct to lung hits. The wick tails do not seem to restrict the air flow at all. Flavour is superb.

n1q7AAt.jpg
U1Q98nb.jpg

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Stack... Great pictures. In the pile of coils I premade to try in these, I have an almost exact same 26ga, 7 wrap 3mm intended to be installed vertical, except with opposite tails that I think will mount easier. And another 2.5mm parallel coil I also plan to mount vertical. And I have various twisted coils in different gauges to try as vertical singles (and duals). Vertical is the logical builds IMO to get the best air flow around a single center coil, better air than with a Z coil or side mounted horizontal coils.

Matthee... Also a great picture of a center horizontal Z coil build.

One of the great "versatility" things about this atty to me is the post hole setups that allow just about any option to mount coils. The "X" pattern on a bias from the center if you will, with large enough holes to accommodate quite a bit of wire in them.

o16x.jpg

coaldriller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
West Virginia
I just got through changing out a single coil to one side ( same as mentioned above 26g 2.5mm @ .82) one air hole opened., to another "Z" coil same specs with two air holes opened. Much better performance and much better vapor using unflavored. While using the single coil to one side, I noticed a funny taste after a few ml's of juice. When I went to change coils, I found that one of the Allen grubs had worked loose, so kind of keep an eye on them and make sure they stay tight.

Sent from the land of squonking [emoji631]

Reactions: SteamStack

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
Hmm, I never tried it positioned like that, as I figured the cotton would restrict air flow

Sent from the land of squonking
Yeah, I thought it would, but it did not. Tried the way your arrows are pointed, and I think the airflow that way is even better.

Reactions: coaldriller

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
You do know n when u suck in rhe air is most likely hugging the top of the chamber going right over the coil and up into the drip tip.

That's why it's always important to have ur coil as close to the side air hole as possable to make sure it hits the coil good.

I've not used my setup since as I'm not sure it's hitting right. Side placement is hitting better. Easy to tell with those 2 setups side by side.

Will try swapping out the wick just encase it's not thick enough.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I went back to dual coil 30 gauge 7 wraps 2.5mm @ 1ohm total.

That 26 gauge for some reason went weak on me.. thought it was weak batt and nope.. tighten posts.. nope. Tested the ohms and it was fine.. so I guess once it broke in it weakened, or I needed me some nic bad.

Built it up and was nic drunk in seconds.

One thing I can't stand about this one is that it's hard to judge where the edge is. The inner chamber is smaller and I always have to test it out before and I see my ohms drop cause the damn cap hits my coil..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread