Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
I went back to dual coil 30 gauge 7 wraps 2.5mm @ 1ohm total.

That 26 gauge for some reason went weak on me.. thought it was weak batt and nope.. tighten posts.. nope. Tested the ohms and it was fine.. so I guess once it broke in it weakened, or I needed me some nic bad.

Built it up and was nic drunk in seconds.

One thing I can't stand about this one is that it's hard to judge where the edge is. The inner chamber is smaller and I always have to test it out before and I see my ohms drop cause the damn cap hits my coil..
I tried duals, but found one coil tail would not fasten properly. Seems the grub screw with that bottom small nipple is not properly matched up with the screw sleeve at the bottom. Then tried a single coil in the RM2 style, but air flow was restricted. "Z" single coil works great. With the air flow directions as suggested by @coaldriller here.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
FWIW, an indispensable tool for my coil building is a dial caliper to measure the exact characteristics of the chamber and to check coil clearance with after installed. So having a coil touch a cap/drip tip/post will never happen in my builds.

It's no secret that I've never been one to just accept the rules of others, more often make my own once I understand the ins and outs myself. Generalizations can and do get folks by, but my starting coil placement is not always at dead center of intake holes, and not always as close to the deck edge as I can get them in some atty's for what to me is good reason.

I'll not dwell on it, leave it up to you to research fluid dynamics (vortical flow/vortex geometry/etc) on your own if you really want to understand what is going on around stationary coils inside an atty and after them, how coil and intake relationship, length of pull can change the efficiency of the vape. To some degree each atty is unto it's own fluid dynamics, how it handles the turbulence it creates on its own and those that coils add to the mix.

Henry Etta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Got mine last week... really nice little atty.
Pros:
-quality/machining are top-notch
-two posts!! 16mm!!!
-AFC range is really good (for me)-- I agree with whoever compared it to the Nuppin
-aesthetics-- I like the way it looks
-great flavor/vapor density (for the builds I've tried so far)
-ease of build**
-really good with both dual and single coil builds
Cons:
-I'm not crazy about the screw-on top cap (like the Atomic)
-AFC adjustability (you have to take the top cap off to adjust it)

**Now, I have to admit that I tried a few different ways to put the leads in the holes before I discovered the right way (which Spydro thankfully drew out in a previous pic). I think of myself as a relatively advanced builder, but for some reason it was not immediately apparent to me just how to insert the coils. I was bending the wires all kinds of ways to get them in the holes... :facepalm: anyway, got that all figured out now... I've settled on a dual twisted 32g nichrome build at about .7ohms. Smallest holes on both sides, but I also like it with the second smallest holes.
I did try the z coil, and I have to say, I'll just have to chalk that up to a mystery that I may never discover in this lifetime. I tried higher, lower, airflow coming from every direction, and just got less flavor and way more throat hit than I care for. I guess I still like my coils (dual or single) as close to the airholes as possible.
Also, I had extremely high expectations for this atty before I got it (because-- 16mm! 2 post! Norbert!!! AFC!!!) and it does not disappoint.

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
Got mine last week... really nice little atty.
Pros:
-quality/machining are top-notch
-two posts!! 16mm!!!
-AFC range is really good (for me)-- I agree with whoever compared it to the Nuppin
-aesthetics-- I like the way it looks
-great flavor/vapor density (for the builds I've tried so far)
-ease of build**
-really good with both dual and single coil builds
Cons:
-I'm not crazy about the screw-on top cap (like the Atomic)
-AFC adjustability (you have to take the top cap off to adjust it)

**Now, I have to admit that I tried a few different ways to put the leads in the holes before I discovered the right way (which Spydro thankfully drew out in a previous pic). I think of myself as a relatively advanced builder, but for some reason it was not immediately apparent to me just how to insert the coils. I was bending the wires all kinds of ways to get them in the holes... :facepalm: anyway, got that all figured out now... I've settled on a dual twisted 32g nichrome build at about .7ohms. Smallest holes on both sides, but I also like it with the second smallest holes.
I did try the z coil, and I have to say, I'll just have to chalk that up to a mystery that I may never discover in this lifetime. I tried higher, lower, airflow coming from every direction, and just got less flavor and way more throat hit than I care for. I guess I still like my coils (dual or single) as close to the airholes as possible.
Also, I had extremely high expectations for this atty before I got it (because-- 16mm! 2 post! Norbert!!! AFC!!!) and it does not disappoint.
Agree on all points. You might want to add that it does not leak (As I say that I totally oversquonk and get a drop of liquid running down the side:eek:). I like the Z coil as I love good throat hit. That said, my duals were a fail as I could not get the one coil tail to fasten properly. Will try @Spydro's suggestion next.

Henry Etta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Agree on all points. You might want to add that it does not leak (As I say that I totally oversquonk and get a drop of liquid running down the side:eek:). I like the Z coil as I love good throat hit. That said, my duals were a fail as I could not get the one coil tail to fasten properly. Will try @Spydro's suggestion next.
You are right! I did the same thing, too, though-- squonked it hard, then forgot I squonked and squonked it again, and then threw it in my pocket :facepalm:
But under normal circumstances, and with the smaller holes, you have to try to make it leak. Maybe more of an issue with the bigger holes open.

SITS

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Reoville
I hang my head in shame. I am trying to mount dual 24 guage coils and I can't seem to get the holes figured out. I am not mechanically inclined. In Spydro's diagram, it looks as if leads are going through the inside holes on the post and not across. Is this correct? I can work on prebending the leads more to help feed them. I got very frustrated after 10 minutes and gave up for the night. Please don't laugh at me cause I am desk jockey with no mechanical skills but i can follow directions well.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
In that picture each of the tails of each coil goes straight thru the center of a post (into the inside hole of a post, then out the outside one directly across the post from it). With both coils installed their tails cross over each other forming an "X" inside the post that you can see if you look down into the top of the post with the grub screw removed. That's just one way to install them, but probably the easiest since you do not have to bend the straight tails to make any change of direction outside or inside the post of a full wraps coil (with both tails coming off the same side of the coil) other than to splay them out a little side to side to align the tails with the holes. With 24ga make sure the grub screws are backed out enough to completely leave the posts holes unblocked... will make getting the wire in easier. And push them through level with the holes or you might hit the opposite inside wall of the post instead of the outside hole. HTH.

o16x.jpg

Samasa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Huber Heights, Ohio
I am still anxiously waiting for mine. Tracking stated it would be delivered on Tuesday, but I think Monday's postal holiday threw that out of whack. I am hoping it is in my mailbox when I get home today. I really appreciate all of the tips and photo illustrations, hopefully it will shorten my learning curve.

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Thanks all for the reviews. I'm a single coil (1.2-1.4 range) tootle puffer who loves flavor. Seriously dig my RM2's (3 and IGO-S) but this is the first little atty that is getting my attention.
Is it possible to hear more about flavor comparisons with an RM2?
Also curious if SteamStack has found a way to sort the cap short issue?

Thanks in advance for doing the heavy lifting so I can save some money or not....

Reactions: Spydro

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Thanks all for the reviews. I'm a single coil (1.2-1.4 range) tootle puffer who loves flavor. Seriously dig my RM2's (3 and IGO-S) but this is the first little atty that is getting my attention.
Is it possible to hear more about flavor comparisons with an RM2?
Also curious if SteamStack has found a way to sort the cap short issue?

Thanks in advance for doing the heavy lifting so I can save some money or not....

Lots of variables in the comparison between an RM2/O-16 IMO. Their importance to you will depend on your personal style/choice. If you are fine with your RM2's and they are stock a guess is that you MTL (which is what they were designed for, excel at). I DLH, so a stock RM2 will not work for me. But I am fine with those of mine as a single coil atty IF they have been drilled to have a big air intake, or two larger than stock intakes. MTL on an O-16 can be better because it is far more versatile than the RM2 right out of the box with no modifications. A similar chamber size that IMO is a more efficient design, it accepts easy dual coil builds, and has an AFC to take advantage of them even if you do MTL that can be a huge plus. Even running them single coil but with 2 intakes open makes a difference over the RM2 (MTL with two 1.2mm or 1.5mm open or DLH with two 2.0mm or 2.5mm open). While I have several RM2's only one is in use, one that is drilled large is on my OG VVG that can make the RM2 even better because of the VV. That combo makes for a serious flavor Reo for me that I can dial in for just about any joose without changing the build. But if it was LP it would now have an O-16 on it instead, be an even better flavor combo than it already is.

Danrogers

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
Campbell River, BC, Canada
Lots of variables in the comparison between an RM2/O-16 IMO. Their importance to you will depend on your personal style/choice. If you are fine with your RM2's and they are stock a guess is that you MTL (which is what they were designed for, excel at). I DLH, so a stock RM2 will not work for me. But I am fine with those of mine as a single coil atty IF they have been drilled to have a big air intake, or two larger than stock intakes. MTL on an O-16 can be better because it is far more versatile than the RM2 right out of the box with no modifications. A similar chamber size that IMO is a more efficient design, it accepts easy dual coil builds, and has an AFC to take advantage of them even if you do MTL that can be a huge plus. Even running them single coil but with 2 intakes open makes a difference over the RM2 (MTL with two 1.2mm or 1.5mm open or DLH with two 2.0mm or 2.5mm open). While I have several RM2's only one is in use, one that is drilled large is on my OG VVG that can make the RM2 even better because of the VV. That combo makes for a serious flavor Reo for me that I can dial in for just about any joose without changing the build. But if it was LP it would now have an O-16 on it instead, be an even better flavor combo than it already is.

Thanks Spydro for the review, I too have been waiting for the comparison, I suspected the O-16 would be a great atty for MTL and also for one who wanted to experiment with dual coils as well for the first time.

Cheryl75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
MO
Excellent comparison, Thank You!!!!!!!

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Th
Thanks Spydro! I appreciate your thorough response. I guess I'm a tad less of a tootle puffer than I thought. I have modified all of my little attys (enlarging the air hole to the next size.). Certainly the RM2 lends itself to MTL hits but am not opposed to DLH. I tried an Odin a while back. I enjoyed the DLH but found the flavor to be sorely lacking (for my taste). Perhaps I gave up too soon. Hmmm...with adjustable air flow, possibilities could open up. For me nirvana would be: full flavor plus a cloud or 2.

Lately, I've also been pondering about the role drip tips (bore sizes) play in MTL & DLH. I've been traveling so lots of time to ponder on "all things Reos."

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Th

Thanks Spydro! I appreciate your thorough response. I guess I'm a tad less of a tootle puffer than I thought. I have modified all of my little attys (enlarging the air hole to the next size.). Certainly the RM2 lends itself to MTL hits but am not opposed to DLH. I tried an Odin a while back. I enjoyed the DLH but found the flavor to be sorely lacking (for my taste). Perhaps I gave up too soon. Hmmm...with adjustable air flow, possibilities could open up. For me nirvana would be: full flavor plus a cloud or 2.

Lately, I've also been pondering about the role drip tips (bore sizes) play in MTL & DLH. I've been traveling so lots of time to ponder on "all things Reos."

Nirvana for my LDLH's is as much dense flavor rich vapor as a device/build can muster up for me. The ideal has been mid sized bf atty's with ample AFC's on Reos. Same with DT's... not created equal. Doesn't matter much if its got a huge hole on top if the pass through hole is small. Best of the best for me are wide bore slip fit DT's that have the biggest pass through hole possible in DT's for these atty's. Now days I get them all from one MFG who even makes special ones for me no extra charge. I probably have 25-30 of his now, will buy more.

Just ordered a couple of these, but from here...

http://www.vapinart.com/cart/Origen-Little-16-BF-P2203.aspx

They list a tad higher than the other vendor but do not want to charge me $86 (!!!!!) for shipping to Canada.

Hey Papa,

You must be back from the Middle Kingdom of the Red Dragon safely. :thumb:

VA didn't have any in stock yet when I bought my third one (first two were preorder).

The high shipping costs/detours the packages take ought to be old hat for you. FWIW it has been just as bad on gear I bought from Canadian vendors, and higher prices to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread