Original VaporFlask 3D printed sled

Status
Not open for further replies.

crixer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2011
Atlanta
Just curious if anyone remembers who made the VaporFlask. I think his name was Preston and they had a Facebook group (no longer there). The problem with these are the internal 3D printed sleds for the guts. They aren't very strong to begin with and after years, the plastic used becomes very brittle. I wonder if he would release the file to 3D print replacements. Just curious if there are any other VaporFlask die hards still out there.... If all else fails, I will just have to reverse engineer it and design my own.

• Optimistic
Reactions: DPLongo22

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Just curious if anyone remembers who made the VaporFlask. I think his name was Preston and they had a Facebook group (no longer there). The problem with these are the internal 3D printed sleds for the guts. They aren't very strong to begin with and after years, the plastic used becomes very brittle. I wonder if he would release the file to 3D print replacements. Just curious if there are any other VaporFlask die hards still out there.... If all else fails, I will just have to reverse engineer it and design my own.

I've still got a Wismec one sitting in a box somewhere, but I don't think that does you any good. I don't remember the original guy's name. It was a few moments ago.

Reactions: crixer

Aerodan

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2020
AZ
I made a 3D sled for mine. It needs work and was intended to install a dna 60 instead of the dna 40, but I'd imagine you could adapt it if you know a bit of fusion360? The actual sketch lines are quite accurate and I did reverse engineer that part properly. The actual design itself, of that original flask, was just so wacky and densely packed. Lining up the usb port is a frustrating challenge. It's why all of the knock offs went cheaper and used front plates and removable bottom plates. Nothing feels like the original though, so keeping mine alive is/was an obsession.

Here's an old failed attempt at packing in a DNA60, using a custom 3D printed sled. So tight in that little space.

Attachments

• CD747753-7591-4F23-A528-3BCEADA21660.jpeg
    CD747753-7591-4F23-A528-3BCEADA21660.jpeg
    719.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Reactions: crixer

crixer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2011
Atlanta
Thanks for the replies. It is good to know I am not the only one with the obsession. I am lucky that my younger brother builds old 8bit computers from scratch and knows how to design stuff and has a 3D printer. I dropped it off to him yesterday. He said if will measure everything and design a new sled for the dna 40 ( MTL guy here so I have never gone over 14 watts). He is going to document the process with some pics and once all done, I will post the 3D printer file so others can keep their flasks going.

I agree, nothing feels like the original! Now I wish I could find some old rDNA 20 or 40 Vaporshark devices.

crixer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2011
Atlanta
Was away at the beach since last Thursday. Very cool and thanks for the file. I need to order a DNA 60. I have two busted flasks so I was thinking to do a restoration original but better sled and your idea of a 60 sounds like a fun project. I was looking on the Evolv site but haven't ordered anything yet. I need to talk to my brother today and see if he made any progress over the long weekend.

So I just started vaping again. I quit Jan 1st 2019. ALL of my flasks are doing the weak battery dance and my quick attempts at cleaning connectors haven't worked. On the one I pulled apart (and of course breaking the sled), the top connectors were all rusty. It also seems that every flask I have pulled apart have been different internally from sled design to battery contacts, etc.

Aerodan

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2020
AZ
@Aerodan Do you have an STL file? I think my conversion mangled it.
Here's the stl. Generally, STL is a bad format to modify someone's design since it's all mesh, faces etc. Fusion is cheap or free (depending on your circumstance). But give it a go and I hope you're able to get it going! I do have a DNA60 OG Flask running now, but man, it was insanely tight in there.. and yes, there are several variations that attempt to solve that problem. Sadly none are as solid feeling and cool as the OG. So persevere on that sled, you'll get it :) Good luck! AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread