Overcharging batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PentiumIIIBaby

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know!
Hello everyone,
so I did something fairly stupid, I typically use an external charger but today I had a little too much to drink so when I got home I just plugged my smok Procolor (similar chipset to an Alien since I know that mod is more popular you can get an idea) via usb, and fell asleep when I woke up I went to grab my mod and felt it was warm and at 100% I immediately realized what happened and unhooked it, then took out to batteries to examine any issues with them aside from being warm, they seemed fine and the mod still works.
I know charging via USB isn't very smart if you do it this way, but am I safe to still use these batteries now?
EDIT: It only charged for 2 hours, that's how long I slept, so it's not like I left it overnight.
Thanks for any responses.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I feel like a total idiot but.. No, I don't.
Don't feel like an idiot. Ninety percent of the people reading this thread don't have one, either.

Your batteries are probably fine, but you have also probably shortened their useful life a bit. Get a new pair for about $10+s/h from IMRBatteries or RTD Vapor or LiIonWholesale. And throw that damned charging cable away so you aren't tempted again.

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
It's not a great idea to use the onboard charger for the procolor, but it's not like the rx200s. You should be fine, but just be careful. It could have damaged the cell, worst case scenario, but in my opinion (and experience) that's not likely unless you're using junk batteries. Incidentally, what batteries are you using?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Don't feel like an idiot. Ninety percent of the people reading this thread don't have one, either.

Your batteries are probably fine, but you have also probably shortened their useful life a bit. Get a new pair for about $10+s/h from IMRBatteries or RTD Vapor or LiIonWholesale. And throw that damned charging cable away so you aren't tempted again.
Maybe maybe not. Batteries do get slightly warm when charging, more so if they’re wedged right up next to the charging electronics like they would be in a mod.

If I had to bet I’d say he’s probably fine.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Maybe maybe not. Batteries do get slightly warm when charging, more so if they’re wedged right up next to the charging electronics like they would be in a mod.

I'd bet with you, but I'd still get a new pair of batteries.

Reactions: stols001

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
I should also mention that the biggest reason most manufacturers put the usb port on their mods now are for firmware updates.
I've only seen two mods fail from usb charging, an rx200 and an eleaf 60w. the Rx fried, and the eleaf made a black spot on the shops carpet. after hours. lol. lucky us

PentiumIIIBaby

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know!
It's not a great idea to use the onboard charger for the procolor, but it's not like the rx200s. You should be fine, but just be careful. It could have damaged the cell, worst case scenario, but in my opinion (and experience) that's not likely unless you're using junk batteries. Incidentally, what batteries are you using?
Sony VTC5 2600mAh

PentiumIIIBaby

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know!

They typically don't get warm when charging, so I am worried they've either overcharged or were under stress.

• Agree

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
They typically don't get warm when charging, so I am worried they've either overcharged or were under stress.

Charging puts stress on the cell. you're putting energy into the system which causes the stuff inside to move around faster, in layman's terms.

(edit): which, in turn, causes it to heat up.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Ninety percent of the people reading this thread don't have one, either.
That's just wrong. Like having a car, but not a tire pressure gauge...

To me, peace of mind is dang near priceless. :)

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
That's just wrong. Like having a car, but not a tire pressure gauge...

To me, peace of mind is dang near priceless. :)

I personally don't think they are necessary for most people. You do get important information from them, but it's not like the voltage itself means a safe battery.

I have a bunch of 2g22 25r6's that don't do .... at 4.2 volts, mooch ended up talking about them in a Facebook post.

Basically, cut him some slack. Mistakes are learning experiences.

• Agree

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Modern cars tell tire pressure. The hard part is when they rotate tires and don't reset sensors.
Given what I do for a living, I'm very familiar with TPMS systems. I still won't go through life w/o an actual tire gauge. Or a decent multimeter. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread