The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Overcharging batteries?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by PentiumIIIBaby, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. PentiumIIIBaby

PentiumIIIBaby Full Member

Oct 29, 2017
    I don't know!
    Hello everyone,
    so I did something fairly stupid, I typically use an external charger but today I had a little too much to drink so when I got home I just plugged my Smok Procolor (similar chipset to an Alien since I know that mod is more popular you can get an idea) via usb, and fell asleep when I woke up I went to grab my mod and felt it was warm and at 100% I immediately realized what happened and unhooked it, then took out to batteries to examine any issues with them aside from being warm, they seemed fine and the mod still works.
    I know charging via USB isn't very smart if you do it this way, but am I safe to still use these batteries now?
    EDIT: It only charged for 2 hours, that's how long I slept, so it's not like I left it overnight.
    Thanks for any responses.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Measure the voltage of each cell and report what you see.

You do have a volt meter, right? :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. PentiumIIIBaby

Oct 29, 2017
    I don't know!
    I feel like a total idiot but.. No, I don't.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    IF the overcharge protection your chip is supposed to have worked you should be fine. Not something I personally make a habit of but there are a lot of people who charge off internal usb

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Coastal Cowboy

Coastal Cowboy This aggression will not stand, man! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Don't feel like an idiot. Ninety percent of the people reading this thread don't have one, either.

Your batteries are probably fine, but you have also probably shortened their useful life a bit. Get a new pair for about $10+s/h from IMRBatteries or RTD Vapor or LiIonWholesale. And throw that damned charging cable away so you aren't tempted again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Kiyle the Manlet

Kiyle the Manlet Senior Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Ohio
    It's not a great idea to use the onboard charger for the procolor, but it's not like the rx200s. You should be fine, but just be careful. It could have damaged the cell, worst case scenario, but in my opinion (and experience) that's not likely unless you're using junk batteries. Incidentally, what batteries are you using?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Maybe maybe not. Batteries do get slightly warm when charging, more so if they’re wedged right up next to the charging electronics like they would be in a mod.

If I had to bet I’d say he’s probably fine.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Coastal Cowboy

Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    I'd bet with you, but I'd still get a new pair of batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
    Ohio
    I should also mention that the biggest reason most manufacturers put the usb port on their mods now are for firmware updates.
    I've only seen two mods fail from usb charging, an rx200 and an eleaf 60w. the Rx fried, and the eleaf made a black spot on the shops carpet. after hours. lol. lucky us

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. PentiumIIIBaby

Oct 29, 2017
    I don't know!
    Sony VTC5 2600mAh

• Like Like x 2
  11. PentiumIIIBaby

Oct 29, 2017
    I don't know!
    They typically don't get warm when charging, so I am worried they've either overcharged or were under stress.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Well you're most likely fine. those are good batteries. Use your usb for updates only from now on lol.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Charging puts stress on the cell. you're putting energy into the system which causes the stuff inside to move around faster, in layman's terms.

(edit): which, in turn, causes it to heat up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    That's just wrong. Like having a car, but not a tire pressure gauge...

To me, peace of mind is dang near priceless. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
    Ohio
    I personally don't think they are necessary for most people. You do get important information from them, but it's not like the voltage itself means a safe battery.

I have a bunch of 2g22 25r6's that don't do .... at 4.2 volts, mooch ended up talking about them in a Facebook post.

Basically, cut him some slack. Mistakes are learning experiences.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BoogaWu

BoogaWu Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2016
    Lakewood, CO
    My car has an app for that.

• Funny Funny x 6
  17. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Senior Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Modern cars tell tire pressure. The hard part is when they rotate tires and don't reset sensors.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Coastal Cowboy

Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Given what I do for a living, I'm very familiar with TPMS systems. I still won't go through life w/o an actual tire gauge. Or a decent multimeter. :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  20. Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Some people will. I don't even know what a tire gauge is. In fact, I have a horse and buggy. I'm amish.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.