Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
OK, really, unless the batteries were hot to the touch you didn't kill them. If it was just a bit warm you're likely quite safe to use them. The batteries were in an enclosed space so they will get warmer than in an open external charger. Having that happen one in a while may slightly shorten lifespan but it's extremely unlikely you just created a hand grenade. Just be sure to let everything return to room temperature and you should be fine.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I also think your batteries are probably fine. Perhaps you decreased their useful life a bit, but since using them in a regulated mod, you'd likely get error messages or failure to vape prior to anything explosive.

With that said a) stop using the USB port for charging and b) you have to vape those batteries, not anyone else. It's your comfort level that matters, and if you aren't comfortable, then replace them. It's a lot cheaper than the medical bills from an explosion of some sort, that's for sure.

Best of luck,

Anna

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
This whole thread just about sums up the state of play in the vaping industry today.
OP - would you be concerned that you'd left your 'phone on charge for a couple of hours ? What about your toothbrush, shaver, mp3.........
Time to start looking for a device you have confidence in perhaps.
(and personally, i think your batteries are fine - warm batteries ok, HOT batteries not ok)

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
Here's a third one. Focus on the kitchen counter....wait for it....

Makes me wonder what happened to it. It says it was a V8 stick. Maybe they were using the wrong charging block or something. Although it's not unlikely that it just failed lmao. This is why IMR and INR batteries are used in most mods now.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Makes me wonder what happened to it. It says it was a V8 stick. Maybe they were using the wrong charging block or something. Although it's not unlikely that it just failed lmao. This is why IMR and INR batteries are used in most mods now.
That's not how charging blocks, or wall warts...whatever you want to call them...that's not how they work. A mod that charges on 1 amp should regulate a 2 amp charger down to 1 amp.... A mod that charges at 2 amps can charge fine from a 1 amp charger....albeit slower .

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
That's not how charging blocks, or wall warts...whatever you want to call them...that's not how they work. A mod that charges on 1 amp should regulate a 2 amp charger down to 1 amp.... A mod that charges at 2 amps can charge fine from a 1 amp charger....albeit slower .

I'm talking about the reverse. Say you have a charger that supplies 300 ma output and your device requires a 500ma or greater, it can cause an overheating issue, which can cause the battery inside to expand and possibly rupture.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Ok, first lets use the correct terms here. A wall plug USB power supply is not a charger, this seems to be confused quite often. If the power supply can't supply enough current then the power supply will heat up, not the battery.
Why is that? Because consumer power supplies rarely have a current limiter, so what is printed on them is their maximum rating. You can exceed that, but you shoudn't. If you exceed it by too much the power supply can get really hot, sometimes even start burning (I have seen that happen at a "smart" guys house when he ran a cordless drill off a laptop power supply - both were rated 18V but the drill can pull 150+ amps under load...).

So, what's most important is that the power supply is rated at least as high or higher than the current your device needs.
That means you can run a 1A charger off of a 5A power supply no problem, the device will only draw the current it needs, but you should never run a 5A device off of a 1A power supply (because you don't know if it can limit the current).

What you see in the video isn't enough information to say exactly what's going on, but the reason is likely in the charging circuit or the battery itself or a mechanical damage to the device (got dropped). It's neither the cable nor the power supply.

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
Ok, first lets use the correct terms here. A wall plug USB power supply is not a charger, this seems to be confused quite often. If the power supply can't supply enough current then the power supply will heat up, not the battery.
Why is that? Because consumer power supplies rarely have a current limiter, so what is printed on them is their maximum rating. You can exceed that, but you shoudn't. If you exceed it by too much the power supply can get really hot, sometimes even start burning (I have seen that happen at a "smart" guys house when he ran a cordless drill off a laptop power supply - both were rated 18V but the drill can pull 150+ amps under load...).

So, what's most important is that the power supply is rated at least as high or higher than the current your device needs.
That means you can run a 1A charger off of a 5A power supply no problem, the device will only draw the current it needs, but you should never run a 5A device off of a 1A power supply (because you don't know if it can limit the current).

What you see in the video isn't enough information to say exactly what's going on, but the reason is likely in the charging circuit or the battery itself or a mechanical damage to the device (got dropped). It's neither the cable nor the power supply.
Thanks for clarifying that. Very informative and I learned a lot from this post. :)

PentiumIIIBaby

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know!
This whole thread just about sums up the state of play in the vaping industry today.
OP - would you be concerned that you'd left your 'phone on charge for a couple of hours ? What about your toothbrush, shaver, mp3.........
Time to start looking for a device you have confidence in perhaps.
(and personally, i think your batteries are fine - warm batteries ok, HOT batteries not ok)
I trust the device I bought, but all this paranoia over exploding batteries and everyone getting very angry when I tell them I sometimes charge my mod via USB got me paranoid.
When you say warm batteries are okay, is it normal for batteries to be warm while vaping as well?

PentiumIIIBaby

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know!
OK, really, unless the batteries were hot to the touch you didn't kill them. If it was just a bit warm you're likely quite safe to use them. The batteries were in an enclosed space so they will get warmer than in an open external charger. Having that happen one in a while may slightly shorten lifespan but it's extremely unlikely you just created a hand grenade. Just be sure to let everything return to room temperature and you should be fine.
Thanks, they were just slightly warm, but all the paranoia around USB charging (especially on a mod like this) and batteries exploding had me slightly worried, the batteries work just fine.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I'm sure you're fine. Most likely the mod had just finished charging the batteries since you were only asleep for 2 hours.

I've charged in my Procolor a few times when not home and it does get warm, most likely because the batteries are enclosed in the mod when charging. They will be cooler charging in an external charger where they get some air.

You probably woke up soon after the mod had finished charging, so it was still warm.

Moral of the story is to not charge in the mod when you don't have to. I usually carry a spare set of batteries with me so I can just swap them if I'm not at home. Mod charging is a last resort to me. I personally don't like mods with internal batteries either, but that's just me.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I trust the device I bought, but all this paranoia over exploding batteries and everyone getting very angry when I tell them I sometimes charge my mod via USB got me paranoid.
When you say warm batteries are okay, is it normal for batteries to be warm while vaping as well?

Yes, batteries will become warm with use. It's normal. However if they ever feel more than a little warm, as in very warm or hot to touch, you're draining them too quickly and if you keep going they can vent.

PentiumIIIBaby

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know!
Yes, batteries will become warm with use. It's normal. However if they ever feel more than a little warm, as in very warm or hot to touch, you're draining them too quickly and if you keep going they can vent.
The mod never gets hot to the touch just slightly warm, so I am guessing I am fine.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The mod never gets hot to the touch just slightly warm, so I am guessing I am fine.

Yes, I believe you are. We only draw current off for a few seconds at a time. In other uses they can be under continuous load far longer, and can get pretty toasty but still be within spec.

Reactions: stols001

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Batteries getting warm while charging isn't a true sign they are damaged. It could come down to the fact they were in the mod and didn't have airflow around them to cool them.

I've had batteries get warm on a charger, say first charge or if they were at 30-40% when put on charger. Now when I say warm, I mean warm, you could hold them. Hot is another story, if they are hot where they feel like they almost burn you, there's a problem.

I don't do on board charging but if a manufacturer says it can, then it should ( I personally would only do it if have to ). Most on board charging is fast charging, which creates more heat and in the long run can shorten battery life span.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread