SMOK Stick 8 Blows Up While Charging (Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
The thing above the fireplace is a picture. The camera is somewhere around the TV, you can by the changes in lighting on the mantle. I would guess the TV is beside (to the left, from camera view) of the camera.

There's always somebody anxious to pee in somebody else's Wheaties! :) Presenting my evidence:

Who would place "a picture" at the top of the wall instead of centering it above the fireplace? It was placed as high as possible to avoid the heat and any smoke or soot.

Who would have all their furniture arranged facing a static picture rather then a TV?

The "picture" never changes you say? Easy peasy! They paused Honey Boo Boo :)mad:) so when they wake up, they could pick up where they left off! (Yes, it sure looks like a reflection that could be on a picture, mirror, or TV)

If, a big if, you are correct, that could be used as evidence the person arranging the room should not attempt something as complicated as using vape gear!

"Lighten up, Francis!" A little levity is good for your health!

Reactions: Rossum

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
...I've never seen a TV with a beveled edge. (looks like a high mirror)
Going through the video click by click, that thing started like a flare.
Must say...I think they handled things well - with a follow up of the fire extinguisher arriving.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I can't believe needing to defend an entirely fictitious post intended to inject a modicum of levity into a subject!

I guess if somebody wants to mount a mirror high on a wall to do little more but to reflect the ceiling, more power to them!

A flat screen TV with a beveled edge? ABSURD! IMPOSSIBLE! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TV frames, Led TV, Frame your HDTV at FlatScreen Framing

Reactions: Rossum

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
It is either a mirror OR a TV with the shiniest, most reflective screen ever created. As 90VG pointed out, if you look at it closely, you can clearly see a reflection of the shelf and vase that is above the explosion. So my vote is for mirror. I am not sure there is even a TV in that room. I have some security cameras at my house and in low light they do fluctuate the lighting compensation just like this one seems to do.

Reactions: stols001

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
The only mod that ever failed me was a Magneto. The plastic rhreads gave out and the spring forced the magnet down onto the fire button. It was lust sitting on the table, I went to pick ot up and it was HOT. It was an 18650 so it vented, but no fireball. That and the issue with the istick battery is one of the reasons I prefer mods with removable batteries.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I want to know why there were so many people sleeping in the living room. It was kind of like watching a zombie movie. You creep into a place that looks cluttered but empty. Then you make a noise and suddenly the room comes alive as all the zombies are disturbed and start popping up from everywhere.

I thought they were watching a moving lol!

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
With audio enhanced here is what I heard in the video, right before it blew:

Guy: "Hey, you wanna keep an eye on that?"

Other guy: "Ya, I'll be watching her."

(But it could have been the movie)

And they were talking about a cylinder before that, but I can't understand it clearly.

It definitely was charging, I could see the guy pull the cord from the wall afterwards. When it blew, it actually jiggled the charging cord. Since the device comes with a charging cable, but not a charger, that could be the issue.

I super zoomed the video in Blender, modified volume, etc.

You can kinda tell by the lighting that it's a movie playing.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
With audio enhanced here is what I heard in the video, right before it blew:

Guy: "Hey, you wanna keep an eye on that?"

Other guy: "Ya, I'll be watching her."

(But it could have been the movie)

And they were talking about a cylinder before that, but I can't understand it clearly.

It definitely was charging, I could see the guy pull the cord from the wall afterwards. When it blew, it actually jiggled the charging cord. Since the device comes with a charging cable, but not a charger, that could be the issue.

I super zoomed the video in Blender, modified volume, etc.

You can kinda tell by the lighting that it's a movie playing.

Yeah that audio sounds like it is from the TV.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Any news on what caused this from Smok? I have this device and am worried about plugging it in now. I am using my cell phone cable to recharge it but it is right next to me and if it blew up like that it would have burn me. I am going to do the recharging away from me from now on. Thank you for the video.
    I know of some folks who charge in a ventilated ammo can. They have them at Tractor Supply stores
    Gosh I luv my TS store :)

Last edited:

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    If, as a manufacturer, you put a USB charging port on your device, imo you have a duty to make it as safe as possible. There's not only one type of USB wall charger and not only one type of port on a computer, the device has to come with appropriate security measures. I'm not at all surprised that of the bigger names SMOK are the ones releasing a product that's not up to the task, assuming the story is real.

Wait for it.......

I 100% AGREE that SMOK IS NOT DOING THEIR DO DILEGENCE IN QA/QC! I decided to purchase my very first SMOK mod (I've been baking for 7 years), this year. It was the SMOK Bany Osub 80w mod. It was nice and heavy AND felt trustworthy by the looks of the mod and the initial way it performed so I preordered the SMOK Priv V8. Now I ONLY had the Osub for 1 week when I preordered the Priv V8. Can you believe literally one day later my Osub wasn't acknowledging my battery in the mod? I attempted to upload firmware, however the mod didn't even have the option in the menu to upload it to possibly fix the problem. Fast forward one week later, I receive the Priv V8. I ONLY had it for one day, I was vaping outside of work and walked in with it in my hand and I heard a hissing sound as if I was pressing the power button (I didn't get the chance to power off yet). I looked down, thinking something was pushed up against the button, nothing was so my immediate thought that it was stuck. I tried pressing and impressing and now I knew I was losing precious time. I immediately opened the battery door on the bottom as quick as I could and let the battery drop out on the floor. All of this is happening in a government building near my security guard. The battery was just about ready to explode! If I didn't have vaping experience I don't know if I would of reacted as quickly as I did and know what to do. I ended up returning my two mods under warranty and I don't know if I will ever use them. I KNOW I will NEVER EVER buy another SMOK product in my Life! They are just pushing too many products out to quickly.

Smok Stick X8 Blows Up Battery Mooch reaches out to help.

Another one: PSA about Smok koopor Primus and Wanted the Advice of the Reddit Community

I continue to remind folks here that Smok has a history of quality control issues and mods that catch on fire. Use at your own risk.
    Smoktech groove recall | E-Cigarette Forum

Video demonstrates why to never charge your batteries while away from home, or overnight while you are asleep in another room. This family was lucky to be in the same room and to have used a non-flamable surface. Apparently there was still some carpet damage.

I also remind folks not to charge their mods via USB if they can help it. Yes, I'm aware that the SMOK stick 8 uses an integrated internal battery that requires you to charge via USB. My point being is that some misinformed people often claim that an internal battery is more safe than external batteries for novice vapers. Wrong. No battery is "safe. Internal batteries are LiPo in chemistry, which is a volatile chemistry. External batteries are a hybrid IMR chemistry, a safer chemistry much less likely to be volatile.

When offered a choice, charge your external batteries with a separate Li-ion battery charger. The USB is primarily for updating the firmware; the USB charger should only be used for occassional use.

Reactions: stols001

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler
    Something everyone should be aware of and take to heart. Most everything you buy in the US is regulated for safety. Not ecigarettes or anything the do with them. Some companies add a few safety features, but vapors are screaming for a $5 device. With cheap you get poorly designed, untested, most likely hazardous. You add that to the general public with little or no electronic safety knowledge it really surprises me that this is not a daily occurrence.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread