SMOK Stick 8 Blows Up While Charging (Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatlandKat

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2012
Vancouver Island BC Canada
I own a number of mods from a wide variety of Chinese manufacturers and the only ones that have failed are from smok.
I avoid smok and built in LIPO devices. Easy decisions.
I usually like to buy china stuff as their customer service tends to be far better than in North America. That said I think we should have a forum thread for 1) which companies deal well with reports of fires
2) Keep on teaching battery safety
I charge mine in a hallway closet that I have set up as an E Station where I charge or refill my tanks or make my e liquid. I have a small fridge on top shelf for my extracts. My goal is to line the shelving area with some safety measures for charging.
I have a number of eLeaf 40 watt TC mods and not once had any issues with them. The old ego twists I found caused me issues where triggers were not working right so tossed them.
It would be informative to have a ecf forum thread on which battery mods have caused issues to people so we can avoid that product.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I wonder why anyone would record themselves watching TV unless it's part of an intrusion detection system.

Canary appears on-screen during the video, along with the date and time. I guess it's a security system. The Canary security site confirms that. It monitors 24/7 and you can call home from your phone and view the interior to check on the pets and verify that everything is OK.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
The fact that this recording of the exploding smok stick exists (bear in mind we don't know of many others which catastrophically failed) is what makes me slightly suspicious, that's why I wrote "assuming the story is real" above. With manipulative organisations producing propaganda I wouldn't put it above them to manufacture such a story and put it on youtube and reddit. That's the most pessimistic view of what could have happened.

It may also very well be an improbable coincidence, or, seing the woman wrote that a previous smok product failed as well, deliberate recording of every charging cycle. So far we simply don't have the facts to be sure (maybe we never will), nevertheless smok should investigate their device+battery and make sure this isn't somehow on them.

Reactions: stols001

KatlandKat

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2012
I wonder why anyone would record themselves watching TV unless it's part of an intrusion detection system.

Canary appears on-screen during the video, along with the date and time. I guess it's a security system. The Canary security site confirms that. It monitors 24/7 and you can call home from your phone and view the interior to check on the pets and verify that everything is OK.

I just read that Russia has some web sites that are all cameras that are not secure. For example have over 400 camera views of Canada even in a dental office showing on that site of live camera views. Personally I am avoiding use of cameras (wireless ones) in my home but do use a wired one for outside door buzzer area to apt building (I am deaf) so I can see who is buzzing me. Cameras have good usage but got to be careful over wireless ones.

GeorgeFeb

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, it's strange, how should one charge then, via air?

Have several usb mobile chargers and charging my device with them, it's charging over night too, when its charged then power from the charger stops coming as it does with my tablet, obviously coz it has a regulated power charging circuit!

But I'm all hands for the safety!

KatlandKat

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2012
Wasn't there a company a few years ago that did a recall on some mods? That is the responsible thing to do so if SMOK didn't then it is a company you can't trust to have its customers remain safe. Also not good if a company ignores a problem at this time because we live in such uncertain times over vaping. We don't need more stories on the news about exploding mods or even cancer risks from higher wattage vaping (not my thing)
I believe in the truth .............companies should too

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
If, as a manufacturer, you put a USB charging port on your device, imo you have a duty to make it as safe as possible. There's not only one type of USB wall charger and not only one type of port on a computer, the device has to come with appropriate security measures. I'm not at all surprised that of the bigger names SMOK are the ones releasing a product that's not up to the task, assuming the story is real.
It's the charger's responsibility to either deliver a safe amperage to the cell it is charging, or not charge at all. The wall adapter is just a dumb ac/dc transformer and the cable is just a dumb conductor of electricity. The brains of the operation are always In the charger. In the case of USB charging, that's always in the device with the USB port. In the case of that video, the charger in the mod failed to open the circuit when current exceeded the safe limit.

That is the only way that device goes boom.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Has a vaporshark, or a vaporflask, or a ProVari Radius, or a sx mini, or a jac vapour, or a Geppetto, or a Beck, or even a Therion ever blown up while charging? I'm sincerely curious....
If the answer is no, then am I to assume that all the owners of the above mods never used the wrong cable?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I get your point, and actually I refuse to use the radius charging cable as it is a.... flaw in the product. It snapped itself together and caused my setup to crash to the ground, and killed off one of my tanks. I do use the "recommended" USB cable as far as charging and not overcharging, but I'm quite sure that on one occasion or another, I have not used a mod's "dedicated" cable without checking it, and none of my internal batteries is dead yet.

To err: human. To be divine: computers. Or so my mother said, but I notice she was the one programming them, and she made programming errors that needed to be fixed, I'm sure. I agree that a well-designed mod should be designed with the idea that errors will happen, and need not be fatal.

The problem is, not every designer is as concerned about safety as another, and they are also all, human error prone human beings.

So, I do prioritize safety and safety record quite a bit. It's worth doing, we do have choices.

There are other people who will place safely LOWER on the list. To me, that's an error, but to that person, they might not think that.

I can't be sure that no provari, anywhere, has blown up, but that's not what you tend to hear people complain about WITH THEM. The complaints are: too expensive, doesn't give the power I need, etc. etc. etc.

Everyone gets to make their own choices. That is how it works.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
@OlderNDirt , you have made your points fairly, and I know you hate the Smok hate. I also know you are a very experienced vaper and that Smok mods fit you to a tee. I really think you serve a valuable function to new Smok users and to possible Smok users. I also know it probably feels like piling on. I appreciate that you try to maintain an even keel in these situations.

And, I think it is true that there are satisfied Smok users out there, like yourself. Honestly, I think much of Smok complaints may be user error or volume, but they do have a reputation of being a bit temperamental. Is it hard not to comment when there's a video of a smok stick blowing up? I'd say sometimes. I won one. I'm actually looking forward to trying it, and I feel like I can be pretty even-handed in doing so, except for the fact that I don't usually sub0hm.

I'm kind of hoping I like it, even if it may not be my vaping style, simply due to interest at this point. I don't actually expect it to blow up, but I will be charging it when I am present, which is what I do with ALL my mods, when I can.

Anna

Reactions: 90VG

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I just read that Russia has some web sites that are all cameras that are not secure. For example have over 400 camera views of Canada even in a dental office showing on that site of live camera views. Personally I am avoiding use of cameras (wireless ones) in my home but do use a wired one for outside door buzzer area to apt building (I am deaf) so I can see who is buzzing me. Cameras have good usage but got to be careful over wireless ones.

Surprised is not more. I can imagine how many are installed with the default password left as password.
Wasn't there a company a few years ago that did a recall on some mods? That is the responsible thing to do so if SMOK didn't then it is a company you can't trust to have its customers remain safe. Also not good if a company ignores a problem at this time because we live in such uncertain times over vaping. We don't need more stories on the news about exploding mods or even cancer risks from higher wattage vaping (not my thing)
I believe in the truth .............companies should too

Wismec had the magic melting Exo mod that quietly disappeared from the market. It had a metal "exoskeleton" and plastic for the inner box. It didn't work out quite as expected.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Looks like cross linking ABS threads livened both up nicely! That should help ABS posse recruitment of non-Smok users! Just look at all those complaints about Smok!
Nah....we had a posse with the ProVari. We had a posse with the REO. Hell, kayfun even had a posse.....
I think what you're seeing is a bunch of random people that agree that Smok isn't trying hard enough. Damn, they can't even put any effort into naming a tank......where we at, "The illegitimate son of the disowned brother beast tank"?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Nah....we had a posse with the ProVari. We had a posse with the REO. Hell, kayfun even had a posse.....
I think what you're seeing is a bunch of random people that agree that Smok isn't trying hard enough. Damn, they can't even put any effort into naming a tank......where we at, "The illegitimate son of the disowned brother beast tank"?

Naming a tank?? How about a consistent naming convention for their coils. It can be impossible to be sure you order the correct coil without cross checking three different sources before hitting place order.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
@OlderNDirt , you have made your points fairly, and I know you hate the Smok hate. I also know you are a very experienced vaper and that Smok mods fit you to a tee. I really think you serve a valuable function to new Smok users and to possible Smok users. I also know it probably feels like piling on. I appreciate that you try to maintain an even keel in these situations.

And, I think it is true that there are satisfied Smok users out there, like yourself. Honestly, I think much of Smok complaints may be user error or volume, but they do have a reputation of being a bit temperamental. Is it hard not to comment when there's a video of a smok stick blowing up? I'd say sometimes. I won one. I'm actually looking forward to trying it, and I feel like I can be pretty even-handed in doing so, except for the fact that I don't usually sub0hm.

I'm kind of hoping I like it, even if it may not be my vaping style, simply due to interest at this point. I don't actually expect it to blow up, but I will be charging it when I am present, which is what I do with ALL my mods, when I can.

Anna

Funny thing is, I am not an all Smok vaper. As I type this, I am using a Sig Kaos topped with a Kanger Subtank (Yeah, I still even use one of those). There are even Smok products I don't like and even some I refused to try.....for my own, personal reasons. But I will not recommend what you should try because clearly, what I like, you may not. I hope you like whatever you try! And if you don't, I have no problem if you say so and share why!

If you do find you like it, you may just want to keep that to yourself. Right or wrong, I'm coming to the conclusion that expressing any opinion other then "anything but Smok" will invite disagreement with anything you post. Just look at the furor caused by my fictitious post in this thread calling "that item" a TV. Boy, was I set straight (like it really mattered)!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, I think that it's good people feel passionate about their gear, but that can get a bit... I don't even know what to call it. I vape what I vape because I like it. A couple of contests I won, I was really surprised to like the setups.

I may turn into a whastamacall it? Modwompp something.... Or whatever. I just call it being a vaping ..../connoisseur depending on my mood, and also, I do like the variety of trying things I normally wouldn't, and being pleasantly surprised, sometimes.

MTL is always going to be my bag, but I definitely have some less stealthy setups in motion now.
Of course, I love everything besides all the stuff I hate. So, there is that.

I actually appreciate your honest evaluation of some of those "I hate Smok" posts because I do agree that some may be user error. I don't see you as a Smok "apologist" just someone willing to point out the good things about them and helping new Smok users. So, please don't stop doing it. Really, I mean that. Your experiences are both helpful and valid, IMHO, as always.

Anna

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Funny thing is, I am not an all Smok vaper. As I type this, I am using a Sig Kaos topped with a Kanger Subtank (Yeah, I still even use one of those). There are even Smok products I don't like and even some I refused to try.....for my own, personal reasons. But I will not recommend what you should try because clearly, what I like, you may not. I hope you like whatever you try! And if you don't, I have no problem if you say so and share why!

If you do find you like it, you may just want to keep that to yourself. Right or wrong, I'm coming to the conclusion that expressing any opinion other then "anything but Smok" will invite disagreement with anything you post. Just look at the furor caused by my fictitious post in this thread calling "that item" a TV. Boy, was I set straight (like it really mattered)!
Personally, I loved the tv post....I loved your responses even more. But, like you, I rarely recommend anything to people. There's the occasional suggestions, but I try to avoid recommendations.

medleypat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2016
Frankfort Indiana
I think blaming Smok products for this is not the right thing to do. I'm not saying it was not a problem with the mod but don't know. Without knowing what happened before it vented is a problem was it dropped or have juice leaked into it don't know. Implying it was a defective product based on unknown facts is just what anti-vapers do
. I am not trying to be disrespectful to anyone I have much respect for everyone on here and I agree that something should be done to safeguard people but that goes for all vape companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread