Overheating atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinnieVapor

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
Near Montreal QC
One of my 510 atomizer is overheating and creates poor vapor. I take a normal, slow puff and the atomizer is instantly hot.

I think I may have fried it: I have manual batteries and 2 days ago I accidently activated the button for many seconds. In fact It stayed activated until the atomizer nearly burn me. I have 2 atomizers. I am quite sure it is this one that is now overheating.

Anybody have other overheating atomizer stories ?

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
When I have to work too hard to get a decent draw, more times than not, the resistance of the heating coil is very high. If blowing out and draining does not work, your atomizer is likely dying and should be replaced. I guess that the resistance of your heating coil is over 15 ohms. As an atomizer dies slowly, the resistance rises making it harder for current to run through the coil. A common set of symptoms includes heating up red hot and producing little vapor.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
When I have to work too hard to get a decent draw, more times than not, the resistance of the heating coil is very high. If blowing out and draining does not work, your atomizer is likely dying and should be replaced. I guess that the resistance of your heating coil is over 15 ohms. As an atomizer dies slowly, the resistance rises making it harder for current to run through the coil. A common set of symptoms includes heating up red hot and producing little vapor.

Actually chef, you have it backwards. As the atomizer resistor increases, its ability to generate heat GOES DOWN.. not up. A healthy atty with a resistance in the 2's can consume 4 to 6 Watts.... which generates a lot of heat. That heat is "taken away" (temperature reduced) by the physics of vaporizing the liquid and by air flow across the internals. An atomizer that gets "smokin' hot" typically has clogged air passages or is not properly "wicking" the e-liquid to the coil assembly.

When the resistance on the coil goes all the way up to 15 Ohms, yeah... it is dead. But it's also drawing less than a Watt on a 3.7V system. And that means it's not going to get very hot either.

Brachinus

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Jersey Shore
It "produces poor vapor"? Is that with a factory-filled cart?

More heat should mean more vapor, unless there's so little liquid that it's burning it off faster than it can wick down to the atty.

If you have juice, try dripping a couple drops right onto the atty bridge, and see how it performs. You might be pleasantly surprised. If you don't have juice, you might look into getting some. A nice hot atty does better when it's well-juiced.

I have one atty that behaves the way you describe. It's my favorite.

VinnieVapor

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
Near Montreal QC
Thanks everybody for your answers

There is a lot of threads explainings how to attempt a recovery... I tried running hot water but without success.

Now, yes, the atomizer is overheating and the vapor is poor ! So it is heating but probably not at the good place! I will make another attempt (and buy new atomizers) but this can serve as a warning to others:

Beware to not activate the button for too long if you use a manual battery.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Actually chef, you have it backwards. As the atomizer resistor increases, its ability to generate heat GOES DOWN.. not up. A healthy atty with a resistance in the 2's can consume 4 to 6 Watts.... which generates a lot of heat. That heat is "taken away" (temperature reduced) by the physics of vaporizing the liquid and by air flow across the internals. An atomizer that gets "smokin' hot" typically has clogged air passages or is not properly "wicking" the e-liquid to the coil assembly.

When the resistance on the coil goes all the way up to 15 Ohms, yeah... it is dead. But it's also drawing less than a Watt on a 3.7V system. And that means it's not going to get very hot either.

You are correct in pointing out my error. An atomizer with high resistance will certainly not produce much vapor or glow red-hot.

Sometimes, the accumulation of gunk on the heating coil and the hardening of the fibers inside the coil will produce a lot of heat and little vapor. I believe it is at this point many folks try cleaning methods. I have had limited success with high-voltage dry burns when this happens. The dry burns probably reduce the lifespan of an atomizer, yet it might give you a few extra days if some of the gunk can be burned off.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Sometimes, the accumulation of gunk on the heating coil and the hardening of the fibers inside the coil will produce a lot of heat and little vapor. I believe it is at this point many folks try cleaning methods. I have had limited success with high-voltage dry burns when this happens. The dry burns probably reduce the lifespan of an atomizer, yet it might give you a few extra days if some of the gunk can be burned off.

I agree completely! I personally don't think any good can come from allowing the coil to go incandescent. But I fully understand that there are those who disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread