Status
Not open for further replies.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Hello,

How excited I was to receive this kit after seeing some posts on social media, the Oxva Origin X.

Reason for excitement is the RDTA pod that is available for this pod-mod, a dual coil deck. I was lucky enough to also receive the RDTA, which I will cover in this review as well. Additionally received the 510 adapter as well.

Oxva is quite a new company on the market but has already made quite a name with the original Origin. This kit, the Origin X, also is very well received by the industry. The founder of Oxva is the person that designed and invented the Geekvape Aegis and Zeus series, and was the co-founder of Geekvape. Now Justin Lai went his own path with a new vaping brand, Oxva.

Specifications:

Not adding any specification pictures this time as I need the space for my own pictures and we are limited to 20 per thread. See the pictures and specifications here: https://www.oxva.com/product/origin-x/

Parameters:
Size: 32.8* 23.5* 113.5mm
Material: Zinc Alloy
Battery: 18650 battery(not included)
Output: 5-60W
Output voltage: 3.3-4.2V
Screen: 0.69 inch OLED display
Charging: 5V/2A
Capacity: 3ml
Resistance: 0.2Ω mesh coil(55-60W)
0.3Ω mesh coil(30-40W)
0.5Ω mesh coil(20-25W )
1.0Ω KA1 coil(10-15W)
dual coil RBA(sold separately)(5-40W)

Features:
≥30% smaller than other 18650 mods
Powered by single 18650 battery with max 60W output
Magnetic on both cartridge and battery door
0.69 inch OLED screen
A perfect pod AIO with the unicoil system: new 0.2Ω/ 0.3Ω/ 0.5Ω mesh coils for DL; 1.0Ω regular coil for MTL, dual coil RBA(sold separately)
Compatible with 510 atomizers by 510 adaptor(sold separately)
L-shaped DC RBA Tank, support both dual coils and single coil
Switch timeout protection
Short circuit protection
Overcharge protection
Over-discharge protection
Output over-current protection

In the box:

1 Origin X Pod Mod
1 Origin X Pod
1 0.2Ω UNI Mesh Coil
1 1.0Ω UNI Mesh Coil
1 Type-C Charging Cable
1 Airflow Ring
1 User Manual

Review:

First thought when holding this pod-mod is that it is quite light for a 18650 pod-mod, it weighs around 130g with a full (regular) pod and 18650.

Reason of it being light is due to the material used, it is made out of Zinc alloy+ABS+PCTG. It does however not feel cheap in anyway. It lays very nicely in the hand and is not slippery.

Really like the looks of this pod, it is on the tall side, but that is since the whole pod is being inserted into the device. For an 18650 pod-mod it is thin. The carbon fiber color I received is to me the best looking one in the collection.

Happy it has a battery cover instead of a door, just prefer it that way as doors often feel vulnerable. It snaps right into place with strong magnets and there it sits very flush; it does not wiggle.

It has a quite small fire-button with a LED light surrounding it. For me it is not too small, it is just fine. Just like the navigation button it sits tight and does not rattle.

Menu if the device is very simplistic, very similar to the Vaporesso Target PM80SE. It is vertically displaying which might result in some users having to turn the device before adjusting. For me it displays most important things, Wattage level, voltage, resistance, puff counter and battery level. Puff counter goes only up to 999 and then resets to 0. Maybe a very unimportant detail, but the device also shows goodbye when turning off

Only one navigation button is available, no regular + and -. That button only puts the wattage up and at max it goes back to 5. Not a big deal as it scrolls fast when held down, for MTL. Apart from that there are two more functions, lock (3x fire button) and reset puffs (hold fire and navigation button. Pity that locking the device also locks the fire button, I like to be able to only lock the wattage adjustment. It does not anymore limit wattage depending on resistance, which it did on the first batches. Overall conclusion is that it is minimalistic.

Device fires up very fast, and not sure why, but sometimes you can hear a buzzing sound while firing. It simply sometimes does, most often it does not.

USB-C on the bottom is a good thing, it does not influence the design of the device. Even though charging through device is not recommended I did give it a try, it charges quite fast. The power output is not fixed, when the battery reaches 10-15% you do feel a significant drop in performance.

Both pods (regular and RDTA) click very strongly into place with magnets, they also do not wiggle. Even though the pod is fully inserted it is easy to see the amount of liquid from the top of the pod as its so transparent.

What I miss on the regular pod is top fill like on the RDTA. Regular has a nice rubber seal with its sticking out rubber 'pin', makes it easy to pull out, even with short nails like I have. Fill hole is large enough for filling. Capacity could have been better than 3ml, especially when using the 0.2ohm coil. Drip-tip is not replaceable on the regular pod which is a pity. The one installed on the pod is comfortable.

RDTA pod has a comfortable top-fill, which I really like. You can use any 810 drip-tip on top of the chamber, which is nice. The airflow is easily adjustable, and the options are more than enough.

Let's first talk about vaping the drop-in coils. There are several coil options available, I received the 0.2ohm, 0.3ohm mesh coils and the round-wire 1.0ohm MTL coil. I can already mention that I have not experienced any leaking issues on any of them.

Really like this 0.2ohm DTL coil, it delivers smooth flavor and performs really well. Downside of this coil is that there is no airflow adjustment, but for me the airflow is spot on for 55-60w.

The 1.0- and 0.3-ohm coils are using the same airflow ring, to change a coil you must unscrew the one installed and screw in a different coil. Received a 0.3ohm coil pack and there is no additional airflow ring, so you must be really careful with the one you get in the kit. Since the airflow ring only has a sleeve on one side you can choose to restrict or loosen more by press fitting the coil either directly towards the airflow, or opposite. It really does make quite a difference.

The 1.0ohm MTL is a very nice MTL vape with proper flavor. Airflow ring allows for a loose to a tight draw, like vaping this tightly with the airflow ring just slightly opened. Pity the drip-tip is not replaceable, would have been much nicer with a legit MTL drip-tip, or a separately included pod with a narrower drip-tip.

0.3ohm coil is a nice lower wattage (up to 40w) restricted DTL coil. With the airflow ring you can go either to restricted to extremely tight, I mean MTL tight. Flavor is also good from this coil and it performs very well.

Now the RDTA Pod. Capacity 3.5ml is ok but could have been better. Love the fact this pod allows for dual coil builds; it is the first pod on a pod-mod that at least I know about. It is easy to build on with its raised-up base and postless design, just make sure coil legs have a length of 5-6 mm. The Hex screws are easily accessible on the side and hold the coils in place well.

It is a small 22mm chamber, which is good as it enhances the flavor. Airflow is like an RDA with the airflow close to the coils directly hitting the coils from the side, the chamber itself looks like an RDA.

Wicking slots are on the small side. It is very important to really comb out the cotton and leave quite a bit of length to it. Cotton should be inserted about hallway into the pod for best wicking. What does help here is the L-shaped tank, Oxva claims it helps the wicking because of hydraulic pressure it provides, and from my experience the cotton is saturated well the whole time.

Started with a dual build with the included coils, which have a 2.5mm ID. Have to say that it vapes extremely nice and smooth. The airflow also sounds smooth. Flavor is fantastic. I would personally not go higher than 2.5mm ID for a dual build on this since you are limited to 60w, of course that depends on the resistance and material of coils.

Afterwards I did a 3mm single coil build, and here again, a very nice and smooth vape. The airflow allows for a nice and restricted DTL hit.

Overall the cotton saturates very well because of the vaping motion we make holding the device vertically while vaping.

So impressed by this RDTA that I made a short video showing it in action:

I read some articles/stories about an issue with the RDTA, that the device automatically limits the wattage output depending on the resistance. This was quite an issue. Good news I have, it does not any longer limit wattage depending on resistance, great OXVA listened and updated the newest batches.

Also received the adapter which turns the device into a single battery mod. It takes any tank up to 24mm without overhang and I love using it with MTL tanks. The adapter holds in place strongly and there are no issues with it falling out, even with a heavier tank.

Conslusion:

I officially announce the Oxva Origin X as my favorite pod-mod so far, amazing job from Oxva! It is not due to the device itself really, but mainly because of the many options I get from it. A device that delivers it all for me, a proper MTL vape, a proper DTL vape and an amazing RDTA.

It is light weight, feels good in the hands and looks sleek. The device itself is very minimalistic, but I am generally a fan of such devices.

Main reason why this is my favorite pod-mod; great RDTA base that allows for single and dual builds, for me the best RDTA on a pod-mod so far.

Would love to see a 21700 version of this kit with higher output and a larger RDTA base, would be very interesting to see that!

Minor downsides of this kit; no top fill on regular pod, no replaceable drip-tip on regular pod and capacity on both pods could have been better.

If you are into pod-mods and you are looking for a rebuildable, then this is exactly for you, get yourself the adapter next to it and you have a really nice single battery mod.

Good news is that Oxva is going to release a kit soon that also straight away includes the RDTA and Adapter, so if you are into that, no need to do separate purchases.

The kit itself (without RDTA and adapter) is priced on the Oxva website for 45$, I expect the RDTA/Adapter kit to be somewhere around 60$.

Thank you for reading, take care,

SP013

Reactions: Steamhammer

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Great review! I've been going back and forth on whether to buy one of these or not. I already have so many pod mods and lately have been spending a bit too much. I have seen the full kit for sale on at least one website.
If you are looking for a pod-mod with a proper RDTA it is to me the best choice :)

Reactions: hittman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread