P-sy-col-ogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abe_Katz

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
FL, USA
I used to turn into an insufferable @#$ when I didn't smoke. Now the same happens if I try to lower my nic. Turns out it's not a placebo effect. I accidentally took my wife's 6mg juice, and kept wondering why everyone is pissing me off the whole day.

Well Mrs. Katz doesn't vape or smoke so I don't have the "mixing up juices with the wife" problem. However, If I do not get the right amount of nicotine I become an insufferable you-know-what too. Also due to my ADHD I find it hard to focus. So I'm a hyperactive, insufferable you-know-what when I don't vape the right amount of nic and have my morning and afternoon coffee.

Tanti

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2013
Nebraska
The nicotine triggers the chemicals in the brain to make you feel good and less depressed.
Analogs inhanced that with its natural maoi in it.
The lower the nicotine the more noticeable it will be. ADD,and alot of the other chemical problems are helped by the nicotine.
Also pain will be reduced some what.
I have arthritus and Fibro, I have been having quite abit more pain since getting off analogs. Tho im depressed from pain im really not feeling any worse depression. But im vaping 24mg.

Id say if you are comfortable at 12 mg than that is where id stay with the nicotine. Nicotine contray to what the junk science says is really notthat bad for you.

MikenGA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
Georgia
So as titled.. is this psychological or real?
I’m a bit prone to depression. I usually control it by not watching the news and such.
I have gotten my nic down to about 6 ml. been proud of that.
I have recently been having some personal issues, and have started to feel down. About 3 days ago, I started feeling the depression. I have also been vaping up my older liquids and the depression is going away. They have higher nic… so I did some experimentation… if I vape 0-6 nic, I start feeling down again, but if I go for the 9-12, it goes away.
Is it just me?

Nope...it's NOT just you.

I had been experiencing clouds of depression for several years when I first tried smoking (at age 27), and the reason I continued was because smoking reduced that depression to the point it became almost UNnoticeable. Through the years, whenever I tried to quit smoking, the depression returned just as bad as ever...but it was more difficult, because I knew I didn't have to experience it...IF I continued to smoke. :(

In MY life, if the choice is to be smoke free and depressed, or feel a heck of a lot better and live a shorter life...I choose the shorter life. I have no desire to live a LONG life if it also feels miserable. :blink:

After 32+ years of almost 2 p/d analogs, I successfully switched to vaping. In the beginning, I required 24mg to make the switch, but easily lowered the nic to about 6mg. I have gone as low as 0mg for a few weeks, but without nic, that darn depression returned.

A few years ago, my doctor told me that if I could quit smoking, he would put me on anti-depressants. NOT what I want to do. If I'm going to ingest 'something' to lift my spirit, I'd rather vape it than pop a prescription pill.

I believe many people smoke to reduce anxiety and depression, but the folks who started smoking at a really young age probably don't realize the role depression can play as they mature. In fact, smoking may have masked depression completely from their consciousness...UNTIL they tried to quit.

Vaping has allowed me to quit smoking while still having a means to avoid that creepy depression. I'm usually comfortable vaping 6mg, but with beer - or stressful situations - higher nic levels are helpful: 9 to 12 mg nic on rare occasions...but no nic is the pits.

Good luck 2 ya. :)

MamaBird

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
I usually lower my nic two levels at a time, but I found that during the holidays and in high stress times, I too have to re-up the nic. So I think this is a fairly normal response. Don't feel bad if you have to occasionally increase, just listen to your body/mind throughout this process. And if you research nicotine dependency and depression on the Internet itself...you will definitely find some enlightenment on this subject.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Well depression usually comes with a lack of energy which taking away nicotine will produce. Perhaps that feeling is triggering a depressed like feeling since it is similar?

When I skip my daily caffeine and vape less I feel tired and often act depressed, just a thought.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
First let me state clearly I am not a doctor, ...

an interesting article
Nicotine as an Antidepressant? | Psych Central News

A google search for: nicotine antidepressant yielded a few interesting hits.
Very interesting!. looking at this thread, this is the first time this morning I thought about the depression... I was extremely anxious before. I think that I was still feeling some of it, so started this thread. on Saturday, I was thinking that that there is something majorly wrong with me and had to force myself to post about it at all. It was all my fault.
Today, it seems so natural and reasonable that I must have been self-medicating for 30 years. During that time, I knew I would be able to stop smoking if I wanted to but never could pin down why I didn't want to. Now I feel like I have an answer. Coolness.
I am calm and reasonable. and I think I'm ready to get myself into work and do a good job without straining to be pleasant!

Thanks to everyone for the help and research!

Abe_Katz

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
FL, USA
Very interesting!. looking at this thread, this is the first time this morning I thought about the depression... I was extremely anxious before. I think that I was still feeling some of it, so started this thread. on Saturday, I was thinking that that there is something majorly wrong with me and had to force myself to post about it at all. It was all my fault.

Yes anxiety can be a problem for many people. That said I don't see what you are fault for. If any thing I would say that getting on the forum and posting about problems is a major help. It is of course no substitute for professional help when you need it. However, I feel that many problems can be solved simply by social interaction. That said I would not, personally, bear my soul on other forums; ECF has a totally different feel to it than many other forums. I've yet to see anyone be trolled here for posting about any problem they have be it vaping related, emotional venting, or what have you--other forums one can't really do that without being trolled. ECF is special, in that regard--and that is a good thing.

Today, it seems so natural and reasonable that I must have been self-medicating for 30 years. During that time, I knew I would be able to stop smoking if I wanted to but never could pin down why I didn't want to. Now I feel like I have an answer. Coolness.
I am calm and reasonable. and I think I'm ready to get myself into work and do a good job without straining to be pleasant!

Thanks to everyone for the help and research!

Ah yes the self-medication, well Kena I don't really know when you started smoking. I started when I was 12 or 13 and smoked for 20 years. It is possible that since nicotine is hypothesized to have antidepressant properties that smoking masked some of the depression symptoms. Also tobacco smoke has MAOIs in it and many MAOIs are used to treat depression.

So yes there may be a self-medication factor going on here.

I consciously self-medicate for my ADHD. It started with caffeine. ADHD is usually treated with stimulant prescription drugs (Ritalin, Adderall, a few others) within the amphetamine family. It is my belief that these prescription drugs are extremely dangerous, and also likely to be highly addictive, also I did not like the side effects when I was taking them (they made me feel like dung). However, I found that an espresso in the morning and an espresso in the afternoon helped me manage my attention span (or lack thereof) without those side effects. Worst side effect I've had to date is that if I drink an espresso or a brewed coffee after 4pm I won't get to sleep until late, and if I don't eat regularly I'll have heart burn. Nicotine is also a stimulant, though a faster acting one. So my (so not a doctor) gut reaction is that it evens out the slower acting caffeine. Also caffeine and nicotine play well together. When I smoked I liked to drink coffee and smoke, now I like to drink coffee and vape.

Of course, I could be completely off about this hypothesis. I have also since I was taking prescription ADHD medications also removed most refined sugars (white table sugar*, white bread, high fructose corn syrup, and etc) from my diet and it is possible that removing those refined sugars may have solved the problem or contributed to solving it.

(*there is a common myth that brown sugar is a less refined substitute for white sugar. However this is not true. In the US most brown sugars are white sugar that has had the molasses added back to it as a coloring and flavoring agent. "Raw sugar" is better as a sweetener than white sugar as it still contains some of the larger sugar cane juice molecules, I'm told by some of my Latin American co-workers that whole cane sugar is even better but I can't seem to find it anywhere, that were not extracted in the removal of the molasses. That said the best sugar I've found is actually Panela, an unrefined "brick" or "cone" type sugar from Columbia, though other countries--notably Mexico--also produce it.)

Panela - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread