Status
Not open for further replies.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
This all started in September of 09 when the FDA was still confiscating e-cig shipments and claiming they were illegal drug delivery devices. A certain batch of ANTZ who shall remain nameless but whose initials spell out the word for the substance that falls from the tip of a lit cigarette (we don't mention them anymore so they don't get the satisfaction of coming up in searches. Google said word along with anti-smoking and it will come up though if you're curious) sent Paypal a threatening letter saying they could be legally responsible for processing payments on illegal demon e-cigs. Paypal believed them and folded like a house of cards. I understand their side at the time however, since this group's head was instrumental in getting smoking banned from airplanes.

Fast forward 4 years however and we're still in the same boat. Paypal will limit or even shut down the account of anyone in the U.S. (as well as Canada & Brazil) found selling e-cigarettes through them. Technically, e-cigs aren't allowed on Ebay either, but most get around it by not mentioning that particular word in their listings. It's also possible that Ebay has backed off on their policies somewhat as well, since they realized that they were losing out on an unbelievable amount of money by being a bunch of stuffed shirts over the situation.

By the way, from what I understand e-cigs are illegal in Brazil as a whole thanks to the same individual and organization. Luckily they have kind of faded into the background since their founder and head retired, but very few of us who were around for the original drama tempt fate.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Yep I have one of those but I hate having to wait for my money to show up in my paypal account everytime I do a transfer from my bank. Just easier to click the paypal button. If I find a sale and don't have the funds in the account by the time the funds are transfered the sale is over. I just assume use my credit card and screw paypal.

We were eBay Powersellers for almost 10 years - we've been using PayPal (in all it's forms) since it was created.

Dannyv45 - you do NOT have to have funds in your PayPal account to use a PayPal debit card (or to remit payment via PayPal without a debit card). If you pay (or use the debit card) with $0 in your PayPal account, the transaction will be immediately processed and the payment will be taken from whatever bank account has been associated with the PayPal account. If you have $25 dollars in your PayPal account and use the PayPal debit card to pay for a $100 order, $25 will be taken from your PayPal account and the remaining $75 will transfer from the bank account you've associated with your PayPal account.

PayPal (really) likes to have bazillions of dollars to work with (and gain interest from), so they make it seem like we have to transfer money from our bank account into their system, in order use their system to remit payment. Big.Fat.Scam.Lie.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
So do I understand it right? You can order any type of vape products as long as it's NOT from a US, Canadian or Brazilian vendor?

That would mean you can order all day from Chinese vendors like Fasttech, etc?

That sux! I only use PayPal because that keeps my credit and debit cards info from being available to all the different companies I've dealt with. I used it as a safety/security measure, although wasn't as concerned with US vendors as I was with the foreign one(s). PP is convenient in that you don't have to keep putting in the CC info at every purchase and I was under the understanding that you had a little more leverage should there be a problem with a vendor.

I've also used it with WL for several orders, but with them, I wouldn't be leery of using my CC, just used PP out of habit.

Excuse the redundancy but That Sux!

djdavies

Verified Member
We were eBay Powersellers for almost 10 years - we've been using PayPal (in all it's forms) since it was created.

Dannyv45 - you do NOT have to have funds in your PayPal account to use a PayPal debit card (or to remit payment via PayPal without a debit card). If you pay (or use the debit card) with $0 in your PayPal account, the transaction will be immediately processed and the payment will be taken from whatever bank account has been associated with the PayPal account. If you have $25 dollars in your PayPal account and use the PayPal debit card to pay for a $100 order, $25 will be taken from your PayPal account and the remaining $75 will transfer from the bank account you've associated with your PayPal account.

That's actually not correct. I know my PP account is dry when my Amazon order comes back "unable to process." I then have to go into PP and transfer from my bank account.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
That's actually not correct. I know my PP account is dry when my Amazon order comes back "unable to process." I then have to go into PP and transfer from my bank account.

If/when that's the case, there's something non-standard about your account set-up and options. But that's with a standard PayPal transaction (no debit card). Amazon doesn't accept PayPal, only PayPal debit cards...so the issue is likely with the debit card settings.

Go to Profile ---> My Money ---> PayPal Debit Mastercard ---> click Update
To the right of Backup payment settings, click Change

In the first section (Choose backup payment method) ensure there's a dot in the first selection (which should be the bank account associated with your account).

In the section directly under that, be sure the limit you have chosen is adequate for your debit card usage needs.

The only way this won't work (that we know of after all these years) is if PayPal has assigned you an exceeding low limit for use with your debit card. If that is the case, you'll need to contact them to have it raised. Our limit is currently only $1000.00 (recently raised from $800) - even though we're a LONG-term business/verified vendor. But as I recall, the lower limits would still cover most-any typical 'vape order purchase'.

Hopefully that'll make your transactions a bit smoother (and keep your money out of PayPals greedy lil' mitts :))

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
So that friggin explains it!!!!!! I got a e-mail from pay-pal today saying they refunded my money for a order I put in 2 weeks ago!!!! I ordered bottles.....friggin bottles....do you here me? Just friggin bottles!!! But it was from a vape vendor. This is BULLCRAP!!!!!

well that's just BS,,,,,,,,,lots of people use those bottles for tons of things unrelated to e-cigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread