Peaches and Cream

Status
Not open for further replies.

nostinkies

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Kayfun Nirvana!
So I've been messing with my protank setup and I've been using silica wick. Hmm... It's okay, but could be better I think. So I tried my hand at cotton balls and Q tips. I learned I stink at trying to thread a tiny coil. Tonight I wrapped 32g kanthal around a .067in drill bit 6 times. I place the drill bit in the slots of the coil holder while finishing up the grommet and pin on the bottom. This places the coil in the perfect spot above the air hole. My wife grabbed a roll of peaches and cream yarn from wally world for 8bucks. (She grabbed the 700YARD roll!) I was then able to remove only one strand from the 4 and I got it to slide inside my coil easily. I then took 2 strands of P&C and laid it on top of the wicked coil to act as flavor wicks. Well, a couple of puffs and hit the button. WOW! Now I see what all the noise is about using cotton instead of silica wick. The flavor is much more pronounced and I swear the throat hit is stronger too. It's very easy to do and 700yards of yarn, I'll have enough for 3 lifetimes. I didnt bother boiling it, but I did lightly torch my coil to remove some springiness. I dont know what it's ohming out at and have liked vaping it at 3.8-4.3 volts. My guess it must be around 2.2. I've seen the app and the charts. It really doesnt matter to me at this stage, I'm getting good plumage and GREAT flavor!:vapor:

So if you are finding cotton balls tough to thread, try this yarn. You wont be disappointed! Thanks to those that said try P&C, it was worth it!:)

nostinkies

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Kayfun Nirvana!
Looking into starting to rebuild my PT 2 coils..... I have been watching YouTube videos like crazy and it looks like something I would be able to pull off.

Hey Mark, I started by wrapping my wire around the silica wick. It works, but if you wrap it too tight, you get dry hits. Try wrapping the coil around the drill bit and carefully slide it off. Then squeeze the coil with a pair of tweezers and lightly heat it up with a lighter. Stick it back on the drill bit and install in the coil head. I should have mentioned that in my original post. I think Rip on you tube does it this way. I originally thought this would be more difficult than wrapping the coil around the wick, but it's not. The silica is more firm and does lend itself to wrapping wire around it. No way will you be able to wrap wire around yarn without something supporting it.

good luck. I couldn't get a consistent wick size with cotton balls, (fat fingers I guess) with the yarn I KNOW how much wick I'm installing and yields me more repeatable results. 3 stands in the wick, 2 sitting on top. I can mess with it from there.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread