Penelope question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jzrawlins

May 22, 2012
NE MAss
Posted this in New Members, but I guess I can post here now:

I just received 2 penelopes from COV. These things are beautiful. I took them out of the packaging assembled a coil and threw them on a Meucci mod. Both have the same problem. They want to leak the entire tank out of the center post.

2 of them doing the same thing? It’s got to be something I’m doing wrong.

So let me type out how I set them up, maybe one of you will find my problem.
I took them out of the package and broke them down so I had the cup with the positive post. The post was loose so I snugged it down. The o-ring was between the post and the cup. I went ahead and wrapped a coil, placed it inthe cup, ran the pos wire down the ceramic side and gave it a twist around thepost and tightened the nut. There was an oring below the nut. Then I ran the lockring down 1/3 of the way. I grabbed the bottom piece (cup with 510 thread) and threaded it on until a tiny bit of the post stuck out. I put this on my mod,put a couple of drops of juice on the coil and tried to fire it. No joy. Ok, soI took it off and gave it another ¼ turn. Fire this time. Snug down the lockring, trim the wire, few more drops on the rest of the wick.

Ok, so now I get excited. I just built my first coil!

I screw the mouthpiece on, then the tank. Then I put about 1mil of juice in and thread on the top cap. I take a draw. Tastes good, good vapor. I put it aside for a second to clean up wick fibers and wire bits. The juice control is all the way closed. When I get back to it I get the gurgle and next to no vapor. I see juice coming from the connector and take it off. It’s literally dripping out of the center post.

If this had been one, I’d say maybe defective. This was 2 ina row with the same issue. What did I miss?

Also I have both with me and a phone that takes ok pictures if need be.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Jon

Last edited:

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
From your explanation it all sounds pretty typical and I'm not sure any of it is actually causing your problem but it is a strange problem. A couple of questions:

Do your wicks run all the way down the channels to the bottom of the o-ring on the positive post? The negative side one can be shorter and it doesn't cause issues.

Did you say you are locking the negative wire with the ring? You don't need to do that it should be sitting in your negative channel under your wick. That was the process for the V1 Ody but you don't need to that with the penelope.

The flooding issue is a bit of a strange one if you are filling with the mouth piece closed. Sometimes when you first fill and close the top too fast it creates a little pressure and you might get a drop or two but an entire tank confuses me.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
It sounds like you are having some sort of over wicking issue.

If you're rebuilding it anyway use a double or even triple wick design. What this means is that were you wrap the coil you use 2-3 pieces of wick. You can check out the Pbusardo Odysseus review on youtube to see a triple wick coil. This should not be necessary and I wouldn't suggest it but it does also provide a much better vape in my opinion. There is a great thread on the triple wick with pictures on the Clouds of Vapor sub forum that's stickied at the top.

This may solve your flooding as it will provide more wick at the top and stop anything from dripping down onto your post. I don't believe that this is causing your issue but it may help.

The one thing I'm not sure about is if having the negative wire under the ring will cause any problems. I've never done that and it's not necessary for operation. I'm not even sure if it would leave a gap or could cause any problems but you certainly don't have to do it.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
That could be the solution. That O-ring on the bottom of the post is quite fat and pretty hard to compress when new. A bit of vaseline on it helps it compress and also helps when taking apart your assembly for coil changes.

Some people have found it to be too fat for their tastes especially on a ProVari which seems to need more post showing then other devices to make good contact. You can replace with a thinner o-ring if it causes you any issues.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
I am very glad that you solved your issue Jz. Keep us informed about any issues and welcome to GG forum buddy:)
Well, I ran through navy_lifeguard's video and did everything again except for remaking the coil. I think backing the post off and re tightening it did it. It was tight before, but I made sure to give it just an extra bit more. The base cap went on a bit easier. I'll keep you guys updated.

Thanks for a great atty Imeo!

Setzer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Belfast
Jager one thing that will cause this leak thats not immediately obvious is that the small nut inside the ceramic isnt tight enough.

I know you have a bunch of GG stuff so I know you will have built it properly so the only think I can think of is to make sure that nut is snug because if its slightly loose then you will get a bit of leaking.

thejager

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks...still having the issue....not sure why... tried tightening the inside nut more...had not tried more wraps of wire...but tried it and still had leakage...i use double or triple wick...

i have three Penny's and 1 or 2 of them seem to do this... another doesnt...tried look at the one that is fine and the other two and cant see what i am doing differently...

the worst part of this is the wasting of juice

i used to have similar issues with my FOG but the little stopper condom for the bottom seemed to help in that case... this case it seems different...i dunno... any other suggestions?

also any suggestions for getting a Mesh wick in it without leaking?

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
I basically took apart all my stuff last night and redid all the coils at once to a different ohm. Out of the Penny's I rebuilt one of the started dumping juice out of the bottom post. It was completely flooded all the time. I rebuilt it twice and it kept doing it. When I say I rebuilt it I mean I took it apart but kept the wicks and coil. I was using a new juice I just received in this particular penny and it's a very thin juice(could be 100 percent PG but I'm not sure). Went back to a 60/40 I've used before and it completely stopped.

I can't really explain it other then the other juice was just too thin and causing over wicking or something. But it was completely flooded and every time I'd blow down the mouth piece to clear it a bit tons of juice would come out even with juice control 100 percent closed. I literally emptied the entire tank onto paper towels through the bottom post, twice. This was with a triple wick.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
I think at this point I'm chalking it up to this new juice. The problem stopped immediately with 60 percent VG juice. I usually use between 60-100 percent VG. The other stuff was a sample I purchased a while ago and didn't realize how thin it was until I took a close look at it. It's almost like water so it has to be very high PG.

Menthologist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
England
Hi guys think i've solved the penny leaking.
If you look at the photo you will see the comparison , the one on the left i got some fine wet & dry paper and lay it on an hard flat surface and went round in circular motion .
Since having the penny i've always had flooding issues , I think even with the mouth piece all the way down the liquid was seeping through the gaps in the ring.

Attachments

• _DSC0191.jpg
    _DSC0191.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 48
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread