Percentage threshold for flavors

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerA

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2019
Alberta, Canada
@charlie1465 Thank you, that makes sense. I probably wont mix anything super high ... 7% was total on the last thing I tried and it was really strong, so I probably wont go past that unless a flavor is extremely weak. Biggest thing for me, I think, is to have something that's a bit mellow, not an in your face type thing. Gonna make 10ml of unflavored @ 16mg for my Zenith in the meantime and see how that is.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
@charlie1465 Thank you, that makes sense. I probably wont mix anything super high ... 7% was total on the last thing I tried and it was really strong, so I probably wont go past that unless a flavor is extremely weak. Biggest thing for me, I think, is to have something that's a bit mellow, not an in your face type thing. Gonna make 10ml of unflavored @ 16mg for my Zenith in the meantime and see how that is.

Yes...bottom line is that you know you :) If you start browsing some of the old threads here on the diy forums you'll start to get a sense of which flavour brands are strong and concentrated and which ones aren't. Flavour art, flavorah...really strong, Capella, TFA...not very strong though TFA is a bit stronger than CAP....you get the idea.

It's a good idea to decide on a recipe you like the look of and then adjust it to suit you if it doesn't totally work first time. I've been making my own for a year now and that's what I did.

I got stuck in with making 30mls each time but actually it's a good idea to make 10mls in case it's really Meh so you're doing the right thing.

One step at a time and lots of help here for when you need it :)

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
The issue I have is that I really don't know how to explain the flavor .. only been vaping a few months and I'm definitely not a connoisseur in this or anything else (pretty sure my taste buds are still growing back and I'm a very plain person when it comes to foods). I cannot taste the caramel or caramel tones, it doesn't taste or feel creamy .. all I can really taste is the vanilla.
I understand what you are saying. I am no "super taster" either. 30+ years of a pack and a half a day habit, plus continued taste bud abuse (strong day-old coffee, lots of garlic and onions, and lots of spicy foods sure don't help), are not the ideal environment for developing a winning "chef's" palate.

I often can not detect all the subtle layers, and nuances, that other more skilled mixers can. I too, have a hard time describing what I am tasting.

That all said; I have learned, through my own DIY experiences, that my sorry palate can still detect when something is (or is not) there. I mention this, because I suspect; that though you may not be able to identify or taste the caramel in a way you can put into words, you may be identifying the difference in ingredients (both present and absent).

I think it would be worth picking up a general purpose caramel (like FA Caramel, or TFA Caramel Original), and do a small side-by-side test. Mix two small batches of the same recipe with the same ingredients, one with a small amount of caramel (0.25%-0.50%), and one without the caramel. Then, you can compare, and see if caramel is part of the missing piece.

Just a thought... :)
The juice itself almost smells like the vanilla extract you'd use for baking rather than a dessert vanilla, best way I can describe it.
That, for my taste buds, would be TFA Vanilla Bourbon (or TFA Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla; which is the same concentrate without the ethyl alcohol). For my palate, and even worse sense of smell, Vanilla Bourbon is a dead ringer for the average vanilla extract found in any kitchen. I have even used it (once) in a pinch in the kitchen, when I was out of the extract, and it subbed flawlessly.
I ordered the Cinnamon Roll just to try it out, not to match flavor .. was trying to go for a vanilla milkshake deal with some cinnamon on top. It didn't taste bad by any means, just too sweet for my taste, and not something I could vape all day.
Single flavor testing (SFT) is most helpful, for me, to understand what flavor(s) are/aren't being contributed by that specific concentrate. Cinnamon Roll is going to add cakiness to a recipe. If you don't want that; try a different cinnamon concentrate. TFA Cinnamon Spice, FLV Rich Cinnamon, or FA Cinnamon Ceylon, are all good possibilities for creating a cinnamon you might find in your kitchen pantry.

As for it being too sweet, or if a mix seems too in-your-face; try cutting it, with some of your unflavored mix. This keeps the PG/VG ratio and nicotine strength the same, while diluting the existing flavors.

One word of caution though; don't dilute the entire batch all at once. Often, I will take as little as 1 or 2mL of the original mix, and dilute only that. This easily provides me with enough to test vape; while not creating excess amounts of less-than-desirable results. It also leaves me with original mix, that I can try different dilution ratios, if the first effort isn't a success. :)

And, usually, diluting does not require any additional aging. Dilute... shake... and you are ready to vape. You can know quite quickly, if you are moving in the right direction.;)
I will try the vanilla's solo, but just from smelling them, I don't think its going to be what I'm after.
:thumb: for solo testing! It may seem a bit tedious, and the results can seem boring, underwhelming, or even incomplete. But, the information learned, can be most helpful.

Smelling concentrates, for me, has never been very useful/informative. In my experiences, the undiluted concentrate aroma, and the final diluted flavor, often have very little in common. But, that is just my experience. My sense of smell is even worse than my sense of taste.:facepalm:

I do know some other DIYers seem to be able to judge a concentrate based on smell. I am not them; and I respect their opinions. It just doesn't help me. :)
Thanks to all of you, though ... the help and advice is definitely appreciated even though it may seem like I'm a stubborn mule ;(
You are not being stubborn. You are merely trying to find what is going to work best for you. :D

DIY is all about finding ingredients, and methods, that makes enjoyable e-liquid, without being a major pain in the rump. If you can do that; then, in my book, you are a successful DIYer. Whether anyone else agrees with you is entirely immaterial. :thumbs:

My suggestions are just ways that have worked for me... one DIYer. Other methods, ways of looking at things, and ingredients; are every bit as valid. And, may work as well, or better, for you. Experimentation is the only real way to know.:cool:

The challenge is not to get frustrated and give up. Keep your expectations reasonable, have fun with the new adventure, and don't be hard on yourself. Learning to DIY is a process. If it was instantaneous; everyone would be doing it, and e-liquid manufactures wouldn't be able to charge what they do. :D
:toast:

TylerA

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2019
Alberta, Canada
So, I tried all 3 of the flavors I have currently, TPA VBIC, FW Cinnamon Roll, and INW Shisha Vanilla at 3% each.

The Vanilla Bean Ice Cream is definitely the offender when it comes to being overpowering and not enjoyable. I will probably end up giving this flavor away, or making a huge batch for someone I know if they like it and purchase the vg/pg/nic. I cannot see myself using this with anything else. As an aside, I didn't taste any pepper or whatever, so I'm glad I don't have whatever causes that for some people with vanillas.

The Shisha Vanilla was decent at 3%, a little muted. I'll probably hang onto this one and use it with a Vanilla Bourbon once I end up making another order to see how they fit together.

Cinnamon Roll by itself was surprisingly good. To me it didn't feel like it needed anything else .. was just a good old cinnamon bun. Once I get another mod, I'll probably make myself a batch of this to vape occasionally.

Last edited:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Thank you, @tara81 :)

I was going to try 2% and 2%, but I'll take your advice on this since it will be literally my first time ever mixing. Do you think this will be ok to try on the spot, or will it need to steep? I was going to try and make a bunch of 10ml batches at different flavor percentages to see what I like best.
To steep or not. I always taste what i make as soon as i finish shaking it. If i like the way it tastes, i usually start using it right away. But thats just me

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Hi there,

I'm making my way into the DIY world, and I'm just curious if there's a threshold for flavor percentages that I should avoid passing?

I've had a hard time finding e-liquid flavors that I like, so I figured I'd just go mad scientist until I can come up with something I do like. I'm definitely ok with starting with low percentages, and working my way up, just don't want to go too high in case there's any risks associated with it.

Thanks in advance!

Edit:

I'll be using an Innokin Zenith tank and a Wotofo Recurve RDA (if that makes any difference)

edit: WTH? I posted a link only- what's with all the cells filled with German?

I didn't read the whole thread, but someone's probably mentioned that a lot of it has to do with the mfg. of the flavoring. Some recommend as little as 2% starting point, others more than 10%, as standalones.

This is old, but really helpful when I started. Click on the mfg. at the top, and it'll list all their flavors, with what various users like for percentages. I think it'll open to FlavourArt or Capella, but there are dozens of others, that if you click, it'll show recommended, and commonly used percentages.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread